• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Does that depend on which caliber as well???

Well......Maybe.....:):

I have been running 1911's most all of my life. All but maybe 2 were .45 ACP as that were intended to be.
    The 9mm just does not blow my skirt up to shoot. I also just feel.....well......dirty..............:LMFAO:

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    I only have one 1911,it is a 9mm, luckily i am getting old and grumpy so I dont much care if I have offended anyone,haha. I started looking at 1911's because I wanted a gun that I would never be able to outshoot. My wife is disabled, so we live off what I make at the factory. I had no desire to add another caliber, and not be able to buy ammo to shoot it. Ammo purchases for me happen when any extra funds are not going to doctors, which sadly, is not the case right now. So I say if you can afford another caliber, by all means get the 45, as I am sure they are fantastic. For me, 500 rounds work in the 1911 and the M&P.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I only have one 1911,it is a 9mm, luckily i am getting old and grumpy so I dont much care if I have offended anyone,haha. I started looking at 1911's because I wanted a gun that I would never be able to outshoot. My wife is disabled, so we live off what I make at the factory. I had no desire to add another caliber, and not be able to buy ammo to shoot it. Ammo purchases for me happen when any extra funds are not going to doctors, which sadly, is not the case right now. So I say if you can afford another caliber, by all means get the 45, as I am sure they are fantastic. For me, 500 rounds work in the 1911 and the M&P.

:thumbsup:

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Well......Maybe.....:):

I have been running 1911's most all of my life. All but maybe 2 were .45 ACP as that were intended to be.
    The 9mm just does not blow my skirt up to shoot. I also just feel.....well......dirty..............:LMFAO:

I can understand that. Like I've said, the .45 was just different (in a good way). I've shot several 9mm guns (mostly CZs), none of them have felt the way that .45 did.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie

That's definitely one of the things I'm considering. However, for me, I'm adding a new caliber regardless. My handguns are .38. So, I'll either add .45 or 9mm. Although, I realize that 9mm is a good bit cheaper, but man that .45...wow!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can understand that. Like I've said, the .45 was just different (in a good way). I've shot several 9mm guns (mostly CZs), none of them have felt the way that .45 did.

It is after all a "Manly" round.

I have 4 9mm CZ's and I love to run them
    I have 1 .45 ACP CZ and i really love to run it.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    So ***I hear ya shot your first .45 *** good on ya man .

I also hear you're having trepidation handling the soul stealing power of the only pistol caliber worth shooting . Don't worry man *** handling that much awesome in your hands is always intimidating at first .

Dare I say , many a pivotal battle have been fought that changed the course of wars .

Indeed , many an awe inspiring feat can be directly attributed to GODS chosen caliber .

There's just one little misunderstanding , it isn't the caliber giving you issues .

It's the umm , the "platform" .

You see , the much fawned over 1911 is an overly complicated , heavy , antique design with limited capacity and unless you spend as much or more on " fine tuning " the umm "weapon" , they tend to have questionable reliability .

Ya hear the latest NRA news on the 1911 subject ? :dunno: :whistle: just saying .

Not to mention much of their allure as a typical American sidearm , no "the American side arm of choice " has been propagandized into the American psyche thanks to Hollywood .

Have ya tried GODS chosen .45 platform ?

You see , GOD himself seen fit to bless Mr. Glock with the ultimate warfighter's pistol design .

By gracing him with HIS immortal wisdom Mr. Glock was deeply honored to bring forth through immaculate conception , the physical manifestation of the one true , perfect weapon .

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I also hear you're having trepidation handling the soul stealing power of the only pistol caliber worth shooting . Don't worry man *** handling that much awesome in your hands is always intimidating at first .

Dare I say , many a pivotal battle have been fought that changed the course of wars .

Indeed , many an awe inspiring feat can be directly attributed to GODS chosen caliber .

There's just one little misunderstanding , it isn't the caliber giving you issues .

You see , the much fawned over 1911 is an overly complicated , heavy , antique design with limited capacity and unless you spend as much or more on " fine tuning " the umm "weapon" , they tend to have questionable reliability .

Ya hear the latest NRA news on the 1911 subject ? :dunno: :whistle: just saying .

Not to mention much of their allure as a typical American sidearm , no "the American side arm of choice " has been propagandized into the American psyche thanks to Hollywood .

You see , GOD himself seen fit to bless Mr. Glock with the ultimate warfighter's pistol design .

By gracing him with HIS immortal wisdom Mr. Glock was deeply honored to bring forth through immaculate conception , the physical manifestation of the one true , perfect weapon .

Good lord. Only a matter of time.
    The 1911 is one of the most simple designs out there. The ignition controls compared to a G**** and especially a CZ are so simple. Not much there to go wrong.
    Nothing and I will repeat nothing is perfect. Nothing. I ran 1911's un-molested for years and years and could count from memory the failures and most were ammo and mag related. I did say most.
    Believe as you will. G**** is a piece of plastic that has no allure. No soul IMHO.
    Oh they work OK. I never wish to have one pointed at me. I also never wish to be very close to one that is Ill handled. They seem to go off on their own a lot. Ask the owners......Damn thing just went off.

I do not think I have ever seen a thread where a person was that excited after running a G****. But you see them all the time about my favorite.....1911's.

Personally I would rather this young man pick up a CZ over the G****. But in the end we will all have our favorites.

If you like-em run-em.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Op - I'm late to the thread, but after reading through it, I see that you're toying with the idea of one in 9mm. It does make for affordable fun on a beautiful platform, and 9mm can be had far and wide these days... I even saw recently where brass-cased Federal cosst the same as aluminum-cased Federal. Wow.

I have a S&W 1911 SC-E commander with the round butt that I use to sling 45, and it's so far been top notch. For 9mm, I picked up one of the new Ruger SR1911 models in 9mm last fall, and so far it hasn't given me a single issue. As for recoil, it's almost like shooting a squirt gun, and pretty accurate too. Sorry for the bad cell phone pic... the only things I've done to it was to swap out the black rubber grips for wood, and replaced the factory 10# recoil spring with a 14# spring to get rid of lazy slide cycling.

FWIW, this now goes into my range bag EVERY time. So much fun to shoot, and easy to shoot well.

20161030_224128_zpsraupgl9c.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru

Someone off their meds??

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't spend money on my 1911 "fine tuning" it. The only money I spend on it is feeding it ammo. It runs. And runs. And runs. Oh, every 500 rounds or so I give it a quick field strip cleaning and once a year a detail strip and clean. I guess that costs a little.:)

I just don't get all the talk about reliability. I would trust my life with mine. And it's a 9mm!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't spend money on my 1911 "fine tuning" it. The only money I spend on it is feeding it ammo. It runs. And runs. And runs. Oh, every 500 rounds or so I give it a quick field strip cleaning and once a year a detail strip and clean. I guess that costs a little.:)

I just don't get all the talk about reliability. I would trust my life with mine. And it's a 9mm!

People get stuck on hear say.
    I would trust my life to the 1942 Colt I have in secure storage. It was my Uncles and he carried it his entire career. He gave it to me when he passed. It still runs just fine.
    Yes it was upgraded here and there along the long path it traveled. But it will run. It is 8 years older than I am I I do not "Run" anymore. Well, fire. Fire will force me to run. :):

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    People get stuck on hear say.
    I would trust my life to the 1942 Colt I have in secure storage. It was my Uncles and he carried it his entire career. He gave it to me when he passed. It still runs just fine.
    Yes it was upgraded here and there along the long path it traveled. But it will run. It is 8 years older than I am I I do not "Run" anymore. Well, fire. Fire will force me to run. :):

I have actually been thinking of carrying my 1911 instead of my Shield. But I want more time in and out of the holster before I do that. I'll admit, I am a little concerned about carrying cocked and locked. I just need more practice to make sure I never inadvertently flip the safety off somehow while it's holstered.

That is the only thing preventing me from making the switch now. Oh, and a holster!:)

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I've got 2 currently that required no "tuning" to run fine. I had a colt that ran a couple thousand rounds without fail. Just sold another that was also flawless. So..... what am I missing? Or is it another 1911 hater that has never owned one repeating internet myths?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've got 2 currently that required no "tuning" to run fine. I had a colt that ran a couple thousand rounds without fail. Just sold another that was also flawless. So..... what am I missing? Or is it another 1911 hater that has never owned one repeating internet myths?

This is something that many do not fully understand.
    I modify my 1911's because I want to not because I have to. It is fun. Expensive yes but still fun.
    I have done that to nearly everything I have been involved with my entire life. Cars/bikes/boats and now 1911's. It is a hobby/passion for me and many many others. Ran them for years with little to no Mods.
    Not much you can do to a G**** that is nearly as rewarding. At least to me.
    I have one on the bench right now. It is a collection of parts. All after market pieces that require to be fit up. There is the challenge. When it is done I intend to raffle it off as #3 in our Riley fund raiser series. If you look in the current CZickness thread it is pretty much explained. We build/modify a piece out of our pockets. We raffle it off with no reimbursement to us. Everything we raise go to the Riley children's hospital. The current piece is a much modified CZ SP-01. There are good pics in that thread. This raffle is closed by invite only. The next one will be open to the forum once we get everything worked out.
    This is what it looks like currently. In the rough fit up stages. Slide/frame machine work is AllenM all the way. He tri-topped the slide and fit the barrel to the raw Caspian slide. Frame is a PSA piece. I have the ignition controls in place and tuned.
    Much more to do but this will be one very sweet 1911. And it could be yours.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom