• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    My LGS told me to jump right in there with a Dillon 550 progressive setup, and crank out 4 to 5 hundred rounds an hour. I told him I would rather go slow, and learn the basics thoroughly before I went to a progressive.

Kind of surprised that they would give you that advice...FWIW, I think you are taking the right steps.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Kind of surprised that they would give you that advice...FWIW, I think you are taking the right steps.

Same here. I would think any decent shop would suggest starting single stage. Too many folks get overwhelmed by a progressive as their first press then get turned off. Now a possible lost customer and reloader.

There is A LOT going on in a progressive for a 1st timer. Anyways, you can always use your single when you get the progressive down the road. Just my :twocents:.

The Lyman #49 is a decent manual but it does not cover 300BO. It collects dust on my shelf.

Welcome to the club!

:ingo:and happy Memorial Day!

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Same here. I would think any decent shop would suggest starting single stage. Too many folks get overwhelmed by a progressive as their first press then get turned off. Now a possible lost customer and reloader.

There is A LOT going on in a progressive for a 1st timer. Anyways, you can always use your single when you get the progressive down the road. Just my :twocents:.

The Lyman #49 is a decent manual but it does not cover 300BO. It collects dust on my shelf.

Welcome to the club!

:ingo:and happy Memorial Day!

I agree with you completely on this. I have no idea who his LGS is and didn't want to say anything that would sound bad about them but I would tend to question their advice on other things after that as well... Just sayin...

TNLongShot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2015
    Charlestown
    "The first time I reloaded I did this.... stories" I'd like to here 'em. I plan to tell on myself plenty and ask people smarter than me ( just about everyone that can use a computer falls into this category) for help.

One thing that I found is something you have to learn as you go is the "feel" of your press. My first 50 rounds of 9mm I think I had 2 rounds where I didn't apply enough pressure on the downstroke when priming to properly seat it, so they were not nice and flush. This happened when I was thinking too far ahead or distracted. Now I know what it "feels" like and I'm sure to give it the proper amount of crank-age. I also habitually run my finger across the primer as I finish just to double check.

I really like the Turret kit! I'm using it for 9mm and 300 BO, but haven't started loading for the 300WM yet, when I do that I'll take the indexing rod out and make it a single stage!

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    The Rockchucker is a great press, but it will tend to drop quite a few primers on the floor. If that bothers you here is a tip. Get a straw the size you get from McD’s or B King and put it inside the ram, cut it off so that it clears the shell holder, and cut a notch in the back at the bottom. That will help a lot but not 100%.
    Also the powder measure in the kit comes with the large drum. Its fine for all but the lightest charges with some powders. You may want the small drum if you have trouble. It can be purchased separately but is a bit $$.
    When you say you want to go slow you are making the right choice. We are not in a race.

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    Congratulations! I actually just got the same kit as a birthday present. Mine came with a Nosler manual and I already have Lyman's 49th edition and a Lee manual so I have some reading to do. I'll probably start off loading for 45ACP to learn, then eventually 223 and maybe 308 when I get comfortable.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The Rockchucker is a great press, but it will tend to drop quite a few primers on the floor. If that bothers you here is a tip. Get a straw the size you get from McD’s or B King and put it inside the ram, cut it off so that it clears the shell holder, and cut a notch in the back at the bottom. That will help a lot but not 100%..

I've done this for years. Go to my profile, and look at my photo albums. I used an empty powder jug cut down, mounted in front of the press to catch primers also

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    One thing that I found is something you have to learn as you go is the "feel" of your press. My first 50 rounds of 9mm I think I had 2 rounds where I didn't apply enough pressure on the downstroke when priming to properly seat it, so they were not nice and flush. This happened when I was thinking too far ahead or distracted. Now I know what it "feels" like and I'm sure to give it the proper amount of crank-age. I also habitually run my finger across the primer as I finish just to double check.

I really like the Turret kit! I'm using it for 9mm and 300 BO, but haven't started loading for the 300WM yet, when I do that I'll take the indexing rod out and make it a single stage!

I think you were the one that suggested it to me at the shoot last weekend. I like the idea of having the option of a single stage if I want it.
    Two things that I have heard:
    1) Laughter. When I say I'm doing this to save money, guys that have been doing it awhile just laugh.
    2) Go slow, be organized, and eliminate distractions.
    So far the plan is to start with .45ACP and someday tune 6.5 Creedmoor loads. Next week we are taking a road trip through Missouri to visit kin in Oklahoma. I plan to stop by Graf and Sons and Midway to pick up powder I can't find at the 1500 (I'm bringing money Bobcat). I could ask what everyone is using or I can buy 1# of a few and figure it out for my own guns. I figure if I just read for the next two weeks I might know enough to ask some less stupid questions and after that I might know enough to be dangerous.

Well, today is Memorial Day. Our Legion Commander is doing his last ceremony today. Walt is 96 years old. He is a member of our VFW post as well as the commander of the Legion post. As a guy in his 50s, I'm the youngest member at most of these meetings. These men not only served when they were called, they have continued to serve their communities for decades. When there is a need, a check is written. When one of our members is laid to rest all that are able fall in to support. There is no fanfare, no look at me and see what I'm doing, there is simply action not words. It is my goal to be as much like these men as I possibly can. If you should feel compelled to thank them, don't only thank them for their service, thank them for continuing to serving their community. Today is not going to be the most comfortable day for a tie and blazer but I do it gladly.

God bless all of you and our great nation. :patriot:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I think you were the one that suggested it to me at the shoot last weekend. I like the idea of having the option of a single stage if I want it.
    Two things that I have heard:
    1) Laughter. When I say I'm doing this to save money, guys that have been doing it awhile just laugh.
    2) Go slow, be organized, and eliminate distractions.
    So far the plan is to start with .45ACP and someday tune 6.5 Creedmoor loads. Next week we are taking a road trip through Missouri to visit kin in Oklahoma. I plan to stop by Graf and Sons and Midway to pick up powder I can't find at the 1500 (I'm bringing money Bobcat). I could ask what everyone is using or I can buy 1# of a few and figure it out for my own guns. I figure if I just read for the next two weeks I might know enough to ask some less stupid questions and after that I might know enough to be dangerous.

Dont know what type of bullet your going to try lead or plated and now there's powder coated for pistol. There are couple of powders that don't perform well with lead bullets, they are Tightgroup and Clays. Great powders that are economical but too hot and melt the base of the lead bullet.

Last edited:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    What's the price on the coated bullets? Have not tried coated bullets yet. W231 is a really good powder that was quite hard to find a couple of summers ago.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Here are some coated bullets. :D

20160527_204911.jpg

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    Dont know what type of bullet your going to try lead or plated and now there's powder coated for pistol. There are couple of powders that don't perform well with lead bullets, they are Tightgroup and Clays. Great powders that are economical but too hot and melt the base of the lead bullet.

Going to stick with plated bullets for now. Got 500 ea. 9mm and .45 on sale so that is where I'll start. Thanks for the info on melting. I never would've thought of that. There are some very talented people that are casting and coating their own bullets on this forum, I am not as talented, yet. In a few years when I retire that is something I'd like to try, and by then hopefully I'll have a better idea of what I'm doing.
    For powder I was thinking Win 231, Titegroup, Unique, maybe Ram Zip. Starting with .45ACP but also have 9mm and now thanks to the wife's latest purchase, 380ACP. I went with the Lee 4 die carbide sets. There are multiple guns for each calibre so I hope the factory crimp die is not marketing hype and actually works. From now until November or until supplies run out, I will buy powder and primers every payday. Not saying anything and don't want to threadjack, just sayin'.

Dwain I just got an email from MidwayUSA - Shop Shooting, Hunting, & Outdoor Products I think some of the RCBS stuff is on sale if that applies to you. Free hazmat on $150 or more Winchester primers.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Yikes! I had not heard this before. I am currently using TG with Extreem plated but have some SNS coated bullets coming to try out. How big of a problem is this?
    And congrats to the OP for taking the plunge.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I already figured out, I forgot to order the shell holders. Oh well, I can pick these up locally when I go for powder and primers. I will be taking my time, and am a very meticulous person. My LGS told me to jump right in there with a Dillon 550 progressive setup, and crank out 4 to 5 hundred rounds an hour. I told him I would rather go slow, and learn the basics thoroughly before I went to a progressive. Besides, 500 rounds would last me about a month. Most of my shooting is with 22LR. I do have a good stash of that. One of my first priorities will be to figure out my powder and primer favorites so I can stock up before November.

I used my rock chucker for years before ever considering a progressive press. Back then all I reloaded for were for my hunting rifles. Now my wife shoots too so I load 380, 9mm, 357 Sig, 40 S&W, and 45 acp, so I have a Dillon 650. My rock chucker is setup right next to the 650 and both get used quite often. Welcome to the addiction.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Yikes! I had not heard this before. I am currently using TG with Extreem plated but have some SNS coated bullets coming to try out. How big of a problem is this?
    And congrats to the OP for taking the plunge.

As far as I know the plated and coated bullets are good with the fast, hot powders. The plain lead bullets melt much quicker. Are you shooting 9mm or 45acp?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    All's Ive shot in 9mm in the last 10 yrs has been cast mostly with titegroup, never an issue with leading from melting the back of the bullet. But I dont run max loads either

Top Bottom