• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yessterday I got the upgrade done on my 3GS. Now I'm re-receiving every email notification of thread responses I've gotten over the last few weeks. (plus some other emails, but I'm not sure if I'm receiving all old emails).

But more frustrating is that it seems to have made my phone twitchy and slow...anybody else seeing the same?

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Not to be a jerk, but you're running a program on an old phone that was designed to run on a dual core processor. What do you expect?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Not to be a jerk, but you're running a program on an old phone that was designed to run on a dual core processor. What do you expect?

I didn't expect substandard performance. I checked before I downloaded the upgrade and the apple web sight indicated the 3GS was compatible. I expect it to be better, not MUCH worse.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I'm compatible to drive a top fuel dragster. Doesn't mean I'm going to run it as well as the people that are intended to drive them.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    my 3GS is running about the same as before.
    The only delay I notice is if I try to jump into the configuration while running a search, to turn on my wireless if I had it off.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    ^^ Seriously bad expectation. Would you load Windows 7 on an old computer and expect it to perform better?

Nope. Because there are specs that are provided that describe hardware requirements to be compatibile with windows 7. As I stated, the apple sight specifically listed the phones compatible with ios5...mine was one of them. Therefore shouldn't I have a reasonable expectation of the damned thing working as advertised? If my phone wasn't listed and I proceeded anyway, well then yes, your point would be valid.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Nope. Because there are specs that are provided that describe hardware requirements to be compatibile with windows 7. As I stated, the apple sight specifically listed the phones compatible with ios5...mine was one of them. Therefore shouldn't I have a reasonable expectation of the damned thing working as advertised? If my phone wasn't listed and I proceeded anyway, well then yes, your point would be valid.

I think you're not in the IS/IT industry. Minimum requirements/specs are... well, misleading. Go try to run Win 7 on a machine that exactly meets the minimum requirements and tell us how that works out for you.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Not to mention, from what you are saying your phone is working. It just isn't working how you want it to. Compatible doesn't mean flawless. Which is not surprising since you're running a HUGE ios on a small program.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    ^^ Seriously bad expectation. Would you load Windows 7 on an old computer and expect it to perform better?

BAM, this sums it up.

Apple always supports all of their devices but they'll always tell you * Don't expect your old device to be compatible with the new code that is designed to run on new hardware! *

iOS 5 is designed with dual-core chips in mind, it only makes sense the older devices will run like crap. Do a full backup, restore the phone to iOS 4.x.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think you're not in the IS/IT industry. Minimum requirements/specs are... well, misleading. Go try to run Win 7 on a machine that exactly meets the minimum requirements and tell us how that works out for you.

Look. Im not posting here on this to argue with people. Just looking for solutions, lf one is available. I'm quite familiar of the idiosyncracies of IT and machinery automation world. I've spent many hours of my life beating my head against a desk, PC, and a PLC panel only to learn of some heretofore unknown firmware incompatibility.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Look. Im not posting here on this to argue with people. Just looking for solutions, lf one is available. I'm quite familiar of the idiosyncracies of IT and machinery automation world. I've spent many hours of my life beating my head against a desk, PC, and a PLC panel only to learn of some heretofore unknown firmware incompatibility.

SOLUTION = RESTORE your phone to iOS 4.x ( The backup that you were supposed to run before you updated iOS ).

If you don't have a backup follow these steps:

1.) Do a FULL backup
    2.) Boot your phone in DFU mode
    3.) Download the iphone 4.x IPSW:
    4.) Hold Shift + click on the restore icon within iTunes
    5.) navigate to your IPSW and wait

Here is the iPhone 3GS IPSW: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...100621.5urG8/iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw

Solution #2: Upgrade your phone if you want to run iOS 5.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    That thought has crossed my mind if I don't find a solution to the performance problems.

One other thing to think of - maybe you can get the iphone5 IPSW, upgrade the phone again to 5, BEFORE you put all of your data back on the phone, see how well it works.

IF it is indeed a software // hardware incompatibility issue, see my previous post on how to revert to an earlier iOS version.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Possible Solutions:
    1. Upgrade to iPhone 4 or 4S

2. Revert back to iOS 4.x

3. Try to clean your 3GS up. Remove programs you aren't using. Don't allow applications or systems (bluetooth, etc) to run in the background when not using them.

4. Just expect your phone to run worse. Apple stated the 3GS was compatible. You installed iOS5 successfully did you not. Apple did not guarantee your phone would run the same or better.​

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Mine errored out when I tried to update - It's not going to happen for me.

Mine did that too, a couple of times. I believe that's due to apples servers being overloaded...if you have a 3 phone--you might wanna take my experience as a lesson in "assuming" and hold off to see if these problems are resolved.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Mine worked fine, and its pretty swish I have to say. Its only a 4 (not the 4S), but runs very snappy and I have noticed a longer battery life so far (used to go a day and get to 50% batt, now its a day and 75% batt).

Loving the notification thingie, was the only part I missed about my old android phone.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Possible Solutions:
    3Don't allow applications or systems (bluetooth, etc) to run in the background when not using them.

Thanks...I shoulda thought of this one...turned off the locations services and it's helped some--I'll try some others.

Edit-
    Upon further review...that did not help so much plus it turned off some other functionality.

I guess I'll see if I can live with it and if not downgrade. I'm too cheap to buy a new phone :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom