• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kenny87ky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    When I read it I believe he claims to understand that the 2nd amendment only protects firearms in common use for lawful purposes.

How would this not apply to a AR 15, its a very common weapon that almost all gun enthusiast own and and is possessed for lawful purposes. Even in a political correct sense the AR 15 has a place as a sporting weapon for carbine matches that can't really be fulfilled with a bolt action hunting rifle. Canada even opted to label the AR platform as restricted instead of prohibiting it when they went on a gun ban spree in 1995 because of the sporting purpose it served.

It would seem this guy is ignorant of gun culture today and stuck in the past when a gun owner was a fud who went to buy his trusty thirdy thirdy for upcoming deer season. AR's and tactical weapons in general are very much in "common use" and serve plenty of lawful purposes.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    When I read it I believe he claims to understand that the 2nd amendment only protects firearms in common use for lawful purposes.

How would this not apply to a AR 15, its a very common weapon that almost all gun enthusiast own and and is possessed for lawful purposes. Even in a political correct sense the AR 15 has a place as a sporting weapon for carbine matches that can't really be fulfilled with a bolt action hunting rifle. Canada even opted to label the AR platform as restricted instead of prohibiting it when they went on a gun ban spree in 1995 because of the sporting purpose it served.

It would seem this guy is ignorant of gun culture today and stuck in the past when a gun owner was a fud who went to buy his trusty thirdy thirdy for upcoming deer season. AR's and tactical weapons in general are very much in "common use" and serve plenty of lawful purposes.

2a is not about keeping guns it's the teeth the people have to get rid of their .gov should that .gov stop being FOR THE PEOPLE.

Someone link the penn & tell bs esposide on this please.

Kenny87ky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    yes I have seen that video you are talking about and I am not stating my opinion of why you should or should not have guns, I'm just stating that this guy came out and stated that the 2nd amendments only protects weapons that are in common use for lawful purposes, which AR's clearly fall under, and goes on to form an incorrect opinion that they are not and wants them regulated.

To sum up everything I tried to say I am saying he used his own words and facts against him.

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    yes I have seen that video you are talking about and I am not stating my opinion of why you should or should not have guns, I'm just stating that this guy came out and stated that the 2nd amendments only protects weapons that are in common use for lawful purposes, which AR's clearly fall under, and goes on to form an incorrect opinion that they are not and wants them regulated.

To sum up everything I tried to say I am saying he used his own words and facts against him.

The fact that machine guns are no longer in common use is 100% the government's fault, and not being in common use as a legitimate reason to ban them is anti-gunner circular reasoning at its finest.

Mostly banned = no longer in common use after a couple of decades. No longer in common use? It's okay to ban them!

Right?

Don't go for that line of reasoning. It's crap.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Yet, the irony of arming civilains of other countries with all kinds of cool stuff when their government starts to murder them - think Middle Eastern countries ...
    ... shall not be infringed ...

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Maybe we can get together and re-enact the Boston tea party in protest to unfair taxation. Only it would be a 'gun party' and I imagine it wouldn't end very well.

We could always try to secede from the Union...
    You mean like smear our faces with war paint and scale the sides of Don's Guns in the dead of night then throw them into the White river as a protest?:n00b::rockwoot:

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    These judges are becoming all too political. Soon, they'll be standing up and applauding at the State of the Union Address. It bothers me that they are commenting on rulings before the specific issue is even brought before the court.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    After reading former Justice Stevens's commentary, he knows significantly less than poo.

And keep in mind that he has three sisters that are fellow travelers on the RKBA...If one of the other 5 turns over...

MTubbs1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    “Maybe you have some kind of constitutional right to have a cell phone with a pre-dialed 911 in the number at your bedside and that might provide you with a little better protection than a gun which you’re not used to using,”

Wonder if I will be able to have an assault phone. :ar15:

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    Justice Stevens (an idiot) said:
    Stevens also had a recommendation for people who keep a weapon in their homes for self-defense purposes. “Maybe you have some kind of constitutional right to have a cell phone with a pre-dialed 911 in the number at your bedside and that might provide you with a little better protection than a gun which you’re not used to using,” he said to laughter.

I remember hearing this audio on Levin one night and thinking what an out of touch fool!!! That's right!! Give everyone a pre-dialed 911 Obama Phone, some food stamps, some Jersey Shore and we'll all be good little sheeple and sleep soundly knowing we aren't capable of defending ourselves, but that's okay, we'll just keep our Obama Phones really close! The people laughing when he said it too worry me just as much. BLOCKHEADS!

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Much like other limousine liberals, I'm willing to speculate that our good Justice Stevens has armed security....and likely at governmental expense in the form of the U.S. Marshal's office.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Term Limits for everyone!

It is the power of the electorate to enforce these, for those officials that actually are elected.

Look at history and you'll see why the SCOTUS Justices are appointed for life-it's to place their positions above political gain.

As to (statutory) term limits... So good people, such as Mr. Johnson or Dr. Paul should be removed from office to make room for the Pelosis and the Reids and their ilk, just because some arbitrary time period has passed? No thanks. If I want Obama out of office, I'll make some noise about it and vote for who I think has the best chance of taking his place.

Blessings,
    Bill

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It is the power of the electorate to enforce these, for those officials that actually are elected.

Look at history and you'll see why the SCOTUS Justices are appointed for life-it's to place their positions above political gain.

As to (statutory) term limits... So good people, such as Mr. Johnson or Dr. Paul should be removed from office to make room for the Pelosis and the Reids and their ilk, just because some arbitrary time period has passed? No thanks. If I want Obama out of office, I'll make some noise about it and vote for who I think has the best chance of taking his place.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill, in principle, I agree with you. I think that is the way that folks should be removed from office. Having said that, it seems clear from writings of the Founders that they did not expect or intend for us to have a permanent ruling class of career politicians. Somehow over the years that seems to be what we have evolved to in this country.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The power of the Johnsons and Pauls in Congress does not come from longevity. It comes from having good ideas. The power of the Reids and Peolsis in Congress does not come from their good ideas. It comes from their longevity. By instituting a 12 year term limit for legislators, it would not be cutting the legs out from under the Right, which can find their successors and groom them to take over their position of public trust in the public eye with the public's interests at heart. Term limits will be cutting the legs out from under the Left, which only thrives off a persistent, uninterrupted power base.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The power of the Johnsons and Pauls in Congress does not come from longevity. It comes from having good ideas. The power of the Reids and Peolsis in Congress does not come from their good ideas. It comes from their longevity. By instituting a 12 year term limit for legislators, it would not be cutting the legs out from under the Right, which can find their successors and groom them to take over their position of public trust in the public eye with the public's interests at heart. Term limits will be cutting the legs out from under the Left, which only thrives off a persistent, uninterrupted power base.

And how does this prevent the Left from doing the same, grooming successors, i.e. Emanuel taking over from Daley in Chicago? I know that question may come across as rhetorical or even sarcastic. I don't mean it to be taken as anything other than at face value: If there's something I'm missing here, (which is very possible since I'm beyond exhaustion right now) please let me know.

Blessings,
    Bill

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

The majority of the American electorate is a fickle bunch that looks more to style and familiarity, than that of substance.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Part of the way Leftists use their safe seats in Congress is that their longevity allows them seniority on key subcommittees. When these guaranteed committee chairmanships and seniority positions evapourate, they will take their patronage systems with them.

Top Bottom