• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    Is a kabar 3/4 usmc to big to edc. I know there are way better knives than this as far as steel and size, but this is just a replica of my grandpas he carried in the war and would just make my day better carring it. I do not want to buy it though if it's not even an option. My biggest concern is driving and trying to sit. I have always had pocket knives never a fixed blade .Other than that it should not bother me. The look on people's face when they ask to borrow a knife would be priceless. Watch ya think. Pain in the a$$ or be ok

Smokeeater

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Warsaw
    I would have to believe that carrying that large of a knife in a vehicle or sitting on a couch would eventually be a nuisance and you would end up going to something smaller. I commend you on honoring your grandfather.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    I really don't think it will be a big hassle, it never really was for me, but I wear a separate belt just for my knife and multitool so that I can wear it looser to give my knife more room to move when doing things. When I just wore one belt it was more of a hassle because I would have it super tight to hold my pants which would keep the knife in more of a stiffer position that I never liked.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Here is the deal, it's all about the sheath. The sheath has to be able to swing/pivot and move around into a position while your sitting in your truck/car so that it is comfortable and not interfering with anything. The standard sheath that comes with most Kabars is attached by running your belt through a loop. This does not allow for much movement or the ability to pivot. You are pretty much stuck with the blade in the vertical position which will make it uncomfortable when in the sitting position.

I would suggest that you contact Grunt Soldier or Dtrap, they make excellent kydex sheaths and have a system that allows for free movement of the sheath. They made me a sheath a couple of years ago for a fixed blade that is 11" overall and it sits nicely and is comfortable when I'm sitting or in my truck driving.
    :twocents:

Last edited:

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Here is the deal, it's all about the sheath. The sheath has to be able to swing/pivot and move around into a position while your sitting in your truck/car so that it is comfortable and not interfering with anything. The standard sheath that comes with most Kabars is attached by running your belt through a loop. This does not allow for much movement or the ability to pivot. You are pretty much stuck with the blade in the vertical position which will make it uncomfortable when in the sitting position.

I would suggest that you contact Grunt Soldier or Dtrap, they make excellent kydex sheaths and have a system that allows for free movement of the sheath. They made me a sheath a couple of years ago for a fixed blade that is 11" overall and it sits nicely and is comfortable when I'm sitting or in my truck driving.
    :twocents:

I will second this. Its all about the sheath, I have four custom sheaths made by Dtrap. I carry a Busse SJTAC and a Swamp Rat RMD IWB. I carry all day long and half the time forget there even there.

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    Whats it cost give or take if you dont mind me asking. This is funny, im buying one regardless, just would like to know how bad of a beating i will recieve from the old lady...

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    30-50 bucks. Just depends how fancy you get. Here's a couple of cheap blades and Sheaths.

2013-01-05_10-09-04_843.jpg

Busse Combat Knives with IWB sheaths. The stud rests on top of your waste band / belt and just floats as move.

2013-01-05_10-10-22_992.jpg

2013-01-05_10-10-52_624.jpg

Swamp Rat RMD with IWB sheath with a clip that goes over your waste band and functions same as above.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    It truly is all about the sheath. With the right sheath you can carry a large knife comfortably, and hidden from view (at least if you don't tuck your shirts in, lol).

A kydex iwb sheath will run anywhere from around $30 on up. I think the most I ever spent on one was $79, and that was for a 9" blade.

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    Thats not bad at all i was expecting more. They look really good too. thankyou everyone for your help love the pics to. It just helps seeing them.Well i guess monday i start my fix blade journey.

Top Bottom