• ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Originally Posted by redpitbull44

Anybody dumb enough to carry .22magnum for self defense probably shouldn't be carrying a gun at all.
    ....i carry one everyday.... .as a BUG......let me pop you with it and you can see how bad of a defense rd it is.....you need to do some research before you shoot your mouth off...

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    It's hard to judge a company by recalls. I've owned (note: past tense) two Rugers- an SP101 in 327 and a LCR in 38+P. The SP101 cylinder was out of spec and the LCR snapped a return spring, locking the whole revolver up. Personally, I am done with anything Ruger, although I know they also make good products and lots of shooters have great success and comfort with them for plinking, hunting and carry. I'm pro-Ruger for the company itself as they took care of all the problems, just not confident in them enough to own and use them.

Just saying it really comes down to one's personal confidence in the weapon platform they choose. I'm not going to knock guys that like Rugers or Kel-Tecs or Hi-Points or Glocks. Well, OK, I will take the occasional jab at Glock owners, but that's just in fun, we all know they are solid weapons. I'm personally S&W all the way because I'm comfortable with them and have never had a problem. Others have- that's just the nature of the industry.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    ....i carry one everyday.... .as a BUG......let me pop you with it and you can see how bad of a defense rd it is.....you need to do some research before you shoot your mouth off...

Agreed- and here's yet another aspect- caliber. Plenty of people have been stopped and or died from a 22 round. I had a step-great-grandmother that died from a 25 round. More important than the caliber of the weapon is the hands the weapon is in.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I really don't think Kel-Tec is the highest quality firearm... but I do have a Sub 2000 that shoots great and has never hiccuped.

I was just going to mention the Sub 2000. Kinda wonder how many people forgot it's made by Kel-Tec. It must be a fairly popular gun since they're hard to find in the shops (well the Glock 9mm models) and they move fast when posted in the classifieds on here.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Agreed- and here's yet another aspect- caliber. Plenty of people have been stopped and or died from a 22 round. I had a step-great-grandmother that died from a 25 round. More important than the caliber of the weapon is the hands the weapon is in.

I have tried preaching shot placement in the past and gone so far as challenged someone that thought a 22 was such an insignificant round to step in front of one and then labeled as the one being ridiculous because I recommended someone get shot to prove a point. Certainly no one volunteered for the experiment though.:dunno:

I was just going to mention the Sub 2000. Kinda wonder how many people forgot it's made by Kel-Tec. It must be a fairly popular gun since they're hard to find in the shops (well the Glock 9mm models) and they move fast when posted in the classifieds on here.

Try finding one in 40

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    ugh. the old "22 is better than nothing".

The point is, the choices are not .22 or NOTHING.

Its .22 vs your other choices.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    ugh. the old "22 is better than nothing".

The point is, the choices are not .22 or NOTHING.

Its .22 vs your other choices.

and if all you have or can afford is a .22 then the argument very much is .22 or nothing. I also have a friend who's wife due to health challenges can't even put a 9mm reliably on paper but can with a .22 I think I would rather she have the .22

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010

:laugh:
    Boy; do you know how many things I have killed with a .22?
    I've fired well over 100,000 of rimfire over the past 20 years. I'd say I know a thing or two about .22.
    .22 is great for a BUG, or something you wanna tuck into a sock or glove to get past lax security. I carry a P3AT every day. I also carry an M&P45. Oh sure, a .22 could kill somebody. Fact is, IF I am going to have to shoot somebody, I would rather they die than live to sue me, or live off my dime in the prison system.

I will stand by what I said. For what a PMR-30 is priced at, a guy could buy one of several new or used centerfire pistols.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Kel-Tec has some great ideas, that's for sure. But their execution is always a bit off. With the introduction of the RFB and KSG, I really want to try them out but spending that much money on a Kel-Tec... I just can't bring myself to do it. I've owned their handguns in the past and honestly, they were nothing but trouble for me.

My local dealer has a RFB in stock and I keep handling it thinking I'm going to buy it but I just can't pull the proverbial trigger for fear it will be nothing but a head ache.

Scotty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Anderson
    Kel-Tec isn't my favorite gun manufacturer buy any means, but I have had 2 of there 380's and 2 PF9's with no problems out of any of them.

Top Bottom