• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I based my opinion on actual use. 1k rounds through a P3AT. That thing was never reliable. Then when the Sub2000 starting shooting in full auto, I was done with them.

Didn't they stop production of the PMR-30 to fix some problems with it?

KSG ran fine but the safety is not intuitive.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    I based my opinion on actual use. 1k rounds through a P3AT. That thing was never reliable. Then when the Sub2000 starting shooting in full auto, I was done with them.

Didn't they stop production of the PMR-30 to fix some problems with it?

KSG ran fine but the safety is not intuitive.
    When you actually use them, they seem unreliable and flimsy. Given their reputation for "sound" inexpensive carry pieces, when actual use is involved (especially practice and carry) they seem to buckle and crumple. Not immediately, though some say they do, but over time. Kel Tec has yet to release a firearm that addresses these questions. I'm not sure if they have the drive or are set for the status quo. All these new models recently have made me wonder.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I would like to have a PMR 30...for retail or less.

I would like to have a sub 2000 that takes glock 9mm mags...for retail or less.

Finally, I would like to have a KSG...for retail or less.

Dealers who are fortunate to get any of these items (mostly the PMR 30 and KSG) are bending people over on price. I guess if you really have to have it...:twocents:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Since your question is 'what else am I missing?', apparently you are missing the whole line since the PF-9 and P3AT are enough of the "real deal" that Ruger copied them. Do you own or have you ever shot any of the Keltec stuff? Don't believe everything you read on the interwebz...
    A good design can still be improved with better fit and function. The LCP's success is case in point. It reached a larger audience in large part because of the name, but continues to be huge seller. I shot one of those Liberty P3ATs. I wasn't impressed. Kahr has also borrowed and improved the concept.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    I would like to have a PMR 30...for retail or less.

I would like to have a sub 2000 that takes glock 9mm mags...for retail or less.

Finally, I would like to have a KSG...for retail or less.

Dealers who are fortunate to get any of these items (mostly the PMR 30 and KSG) are bending people over on price. I guess if you really have to have it...:twocents:
    That's my opinion as well, the name attracts an additional "dollar". And it's because of this I'm critical of the product. They've attracted a new cool factor, watch any NutNFancy review, but the firearm underneath is not worth more than retail. Sometimes not even that.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    KSG (if they ever produce enough of them for me to get at a reasonable price)
    RMR (if they ever release it)
    PMR (if they ever produce enough of them for me to get at a reasonable price)
    RFB (if they ever produce enough of them for me to get at a reasonable price)

Yes... I'd like one of each please.

randygun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    i have 3 shotguns in different colors and 3 pmr 30 awsome shooters. do your research on keltec and see who they were and who they sell to today

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Where are we getting PMR 30s?!!! I held one at the CP gun show in the summer. Guy had $700 on the price tags for the FOUR he had in stock. Wasn't budging. Witnessed him selling two of them.

He had $1500 on the TWO KSGs he had, was in the process of selling one and that idiot's friend couldn't be outdone and bought the other.

Anyway...wanting a PMR 30 at a reasonable price. PM me if you have the secret handshake on these things...

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    My EDC is a P11. I shoot it once or twice a month and always put 100+ rounds through it each range session. It has been 100% flawless.

I also have a P3AT as a BUG that I shoot regularly and carry occasionally. I haven't had any issues w/ my P3AT either.

A friend of mine bought used, and carries, a PF9 and she really enjoys it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Where are we getting PMR 30s?!!! I held one at the CP gun show in the summer. Guy had $700 on the price tags for the FOUR he had in stock. Wasn't budging. Witnessed him selling two of them.

He had $1500 on the TWO KSGs he had, was in the process of selling one and that idiot's friend couldn't be outdone and bought the other.

Anyway...wanting a PMR 30 at a reasonable price. PM me if you have the secret handshake on these things...
    Ditto. I must see the Masons!

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I know that Kel-Tec has earned a bad reputation in some parts and for some of their products, and maybe it's deserved. I don't know. What I DO know is that I bought a PF-9 a few years ago and have never had an issue with it. It eats whatever I feed it with never a failure to feed, fire or eject.

It kicks like a mule, and after about 2 mags, I'm done. I've only put a couple hundred rounds through it because of that. It's light and easy to conceal.

I recently purchased a Sig P938 to replace it, mainly because I'm a Sig kinda guy. After putting a hundred or so rounds downrange with the 938, I have to admit that it's a much better pistol than the PF-9. If you want a small 9mm EDC gun, I'd choose the P938 easily over the Kel-Tec.

However, if all you want is a cheap, reliable BUG, I can't say that the P938 is worth the $400 or so extra. I feel better carrying my Sig over the KT, but if the SHTF up close and personal with either one, the BG's goin' down.

Early versions of both pistols have had their issues. I just know that both of mine are excellent little 9mms, and I trust my life to them both.

Last edited:

CitizenX

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Tippecanoe
    I believe whichever firearm a person chooses, they should be able to completely tear it down and reassemble as well as troubleshoot it. Things can go wrong with any of them at any time regardless of price or perceived quality.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    I know that Kel-Tec has earned a bad reputation in some parts and for some of their products, and maybe it's deserved. I don't know. What I DO know is that I bought a PF-9 a few years ago and have never had an issue with it. It eats whatever I feed it with never a failure to feed, fire or eject.

It kicks like a mule, and after about 2 mags, I'm done. I've only put a couple hundred rounds through it because of that. It's light and easy to conceal.

I recently purchased a Sig P938 to replace it, mainly because I'm a Sig kinda guy. After putting a hundred or so rounds downrange with the 938, I have to admit that it's a much better pistol than the PF-9. If you want a small 9mm EDC gun, I'd choose the P938 easily over the Kel-Tec.

However, if all you want is a cheap, reliable BUG, I can't say that the P938 is worth the $400 or so extra. I feel better carrying my Sig over the KT, but if the SHTF up close and personal with either one, the BG's goin' down. It worked for George Zimmerman. ;)

Early versions of both pistols have had their issues. I just know that both of mine are excellent little 9mms, and I trust my life to them both.
    If you want something inexpensive and does the job, get a Kel Tec. I know there are many that are very happy with what they have. Like anything, life's a crap shoot and it can happen to any manufacturer. From personal experience and what people tell me, Kel Tec is a little too all over the place for my comfort zone as a ccw carrier. The extra $400 may not be worth it, but for me I know what I'm paying for. Thanks.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    Is there a Kel-Tec you must have? I look at Kel-Tec as a Hi-Point deluxe with some quality. For me, I wouldn't mind having one but nothing really stands out. What Kel-Tec, if any, is more than a throwaway? Thanks.

There is no Kel-Tec that I 'must' have but the same can be said of most every product made for me. I would like to have a KSG but not until the real world pricing gets less than MSRP. At one time I was in the market for a PMR-30 but availability and pricing being much greater than MSRP turned me off. I have a few rules regarding purchases (gun or otherwise) that I always follow;
    1) I never pay above MSRP for anything.
    2) I will pay MSRP for high quality items and Kel-Tec products do not fall into this category IMHO.
    3) Everything else needs to be less than MSRP and how much less depends on how badly I want it.

I suppose that if Harbor Freight sold Kel-Tec, I might consider it a throwaway.:):

Top Bottom