• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    :ingo:Found some decent prices on keltec pf-9 p-11 and p3ats. really think i want a nine, but just need to know if keltec is the way to go with what im looking for. im not rich, so the price is attractive, but i dont want to buy a p.o.s. gun, let me know what u think.

Thanks

Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it.
    Thomas Jefferson

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I had a P11. It sucked. Everything about it sucked. Trigger, reliability. Sold it.

I had a P3at. In the first 100 rounds the hammer broke. Customer service was great but it wasn't very reliable either.

I have a P32. It's ok. I keep it because it's the smallest gun I own and it can go places others can't. FWIW the P32 is the original 'perfected' (I use that word loosely) keltec bread and butter gun. You'll have your best luck with a P32.

I hate to sound harsh but Keltec's motto should be "because poor people need guns too".

Some people love their Keltecs and talk about how reliable they are... in the same breath as saying, it only jams once every 3 or 4 magazines. Sorry that isn't reliable to me.

Anyway, good luck, save up some money and buy a compact XD9 or a gLock g19.

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Have a Kel P3at and its ok... i like the sights and hit where i aim. That being said i only l shoot it once or twice a year it is so small and thin barrel i dont want to wear it out. Not the best not the worst but I only carry it when i cant where my glock or dont want to.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Well I will chime in, I have a P-11 as well as a P-32. I have fired hundreds of rounds through each and both have been great! My daughter has the 3at and she has had no trouble with it at all. Would I bet my life on them? Well I would not still own them if I didn't. I think they are great guns for the money.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I guess their quality control and design are not the best.Some of their guns run just fine and some have lots of problems.
    I would only trust a Kel Tec if it has no jams after 200 rounds.
    I would trust a Glock 100% from the factory.
    There is a reason why a P11 is half the price of a Glock, you dont get 100% reliablity with half the price.Not on every guns they make anyway, maybe some run without any problems.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have a Sub2000, and may consider a KSG if they take off. Probably wouldn't touch a pistol of theirs. They do some innovative stuff, but it's like they don't have the production capacity or discipline to really dial things in, so they're hit and miss. My life is worth the extra money to me, to get something solid.

RiverCityFolks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Bend of the River
    Several years ago I purchased a Kel Tec P11. It has been an affordable,dependable EDC gun for years. It feels good in my hand, the recoil is manageable, and the accuracy is acceptable. I carry it in an inside pocket holster and buy my pants with deep pockets. I practice 3-4 times a year and would trust my life to it. I looked at the PF9. The size is not much difference. I like the wider grip of the P11 (better control). The weight difference is easy to control. I take out 3 or 4 rounds if it begins to feel heavy, I still have 7 or 8 rounds of 9mm stopping power. I always have an extra 12 magazine at hand. I guess I got a Good One. Everyone has their own experiences & opinions. Buy the most gun you can afford and are comfortable with. Training & practice. Best of Luck.​

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Several years ago I purchased a Kel Tec P11. It has been an affordable,dependable EDC gun for years. It feels good in my hand, the recoil is manageable, and the accuracy is acceptable. I carry it in an inside pocket holster and buy my pants with deep pockets. I practice 3-4 times a year and would trust my life to it. I looked at the PF9. The size is not much difference. I like the wider grip of the P11 (better control). The weight difference is easy to control. I take out 3 or 4 rounds if it begins to feel heavy, I still have 7 or 8 rounds of 9mm stopping power. I always have an extra 12 magazine at hand. I guess I got a Good One. Everyone has their own experiences & opinions. Buy the most gun you can afford and are comfortable with. Training & practice. Best of Luck.​
    I think it's a good gun too.
    The only problem from what I heard for other P11s owners is that you dont know if you will get a good one or not.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    My p-11 had 4000 rounds through it without a single failure, my P-32 had about 1800...again zero failures. My PF 9 has about 2500 rounds of 9mm and another 2000 rounds of 22 through it, I had 1 ftf in the first mag of 22, zero ever in 9mm.

I would and do trust my life with a Kel-Tec.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    hmmm....

thanks for the imput guys. For those of you who dont like the keltecs, are there any other brands with similar prices that might be more reliable? i own an hk.45 and it is my pride and joy! never jammed on me once, but i am just looking for a supplementary carry weapon that i can have in the pocket of my sweat pants/pajama pants. But i deffinetly am looking for reliability.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I got a P3AT that has run like a pickle seeder since day one. Bought a PF9 that I couldn't get the first box through, sent it back and now 250 rounds later it hasn't missed a beat.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Its like anything else some people like them some dont. i do know the ones Ive shot could be a little tempral mental about jamming, but you "CAN NOT" limp wrist these guns or they do jam. Just save a few more bucks an get a Ruger LCP or S&W bodygaurd are nice choices in a pocket gun but they are in .380

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    The only problem that I ever had with any KelTec was shooting steel case ammo in them. I've not had any failures otherwise. I've carried a .380 for years, I know it will fire every time.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    My Kel Tec PF-9 was flawless through about 500 rounds. Gave it to my dad for carry since I was buying a Sig.

For sub-$300 carry guns, there aren't a lot. However, I will swear by the reliability of my Bersa Thunder 380.

Indy Gun Safety has one new in the case for $250. BGF has them around $270.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    My Kel Tec PF-9 was flawless through about 500 rounds. Gave it to my dad for carry since I was buying a Sig.

For sub-$300 carry guns, there aren't a lot. However, I will swear by the reliability of my Bersa Thunder 380.

Indy Gun Safety has one new in the case for $250. BGF has them around $270.

I guess you are right, they are probably the best gun for that price range.

Top Bottom