• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Whether the owner kept up on routine maintenance makes a huge difference when they are higher mileage.

I have been eyeballing a KIA SUV for a while, just want one that can haul stuff, which most I've seen can't.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I test drove every small people-mover out there before settling on the Soul. I even took all my music gear to test fit: 2 guitars, 2 synths, amplifier, pedal board, 2 gig bags, guitar stand and mic stand. With the rear seats folded flat, I had room for all that and more. Bought mine in 2009 with all the bells and whistles, and have 48k trouble-free miles on her now. I can't like this car any more than I already do.

And, I got her in your favorite color...

4895_1151279695049_5598255_n.jpg

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    We'll check with Ray Skillman as well. Butler lists a 20 year 200,000 mile warranty on their site with any new Kia but there are no details to it. I'm not seeing anything on Skillman's site about any kind of warranty they offer as a dealer.

Thanks everyone so far for your input. Glad to hear you guys like yours.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Buying new means the factory 10/100k warranty is intact.

Buy it used and you don't get that coverage. It's only for the original owner.

Don't be afraid to buy a year or two old model. Save a lot of coin from the "new" price. And for peace of mind, you can buy a reputable aftermarket warranty and still come out less than the price of new.

Butler & Ft. Wayne Kia are extending the warranties on their own. They know that very very very very very very few folks keep a vehicle for that long and for that mileage. I'm sure what is covered by that warranty is quite restrictive, too. (like needing to provide basic maintenance records/receipts) I don't know though - just speculating.

That said, a 2013 model Kia in 15 years and 150k miles is a whole different ballgame than a 2000 model Kia in 15 years and 150k miles. They have made BIG strides.

Something else to consider with the Soul: With 4 passengers, there's almost no storage for "stuff". Groceries, luggage, etc. Even with their compact sedan, the Forte, you can still get 4 passengers + a trunk for luggage. The Forte also has markedly better highway fuel mileage.

-J-

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I climbed into the passenger seat of a forte yesterday and it had a lot less room than the soul. We were pretty pleased with the cargo space in the soul. Plus we only have one child so a seat could be folded down for more room if necessary.

I think butler offers 3 years of free service as well but we're an hour away so it'd make it tough to use. I'm wondering if service records from any Kia dealer will work for the 20 year/200,000 mile warranty. All questions I will have to ask tomorrow.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Mother in law has one...feels like riding a cardboard box IMHO. Doors are thin, seats are thin, you sit funny in it.

If you like it, great...otherwise it's not for everybody.

Enthusiast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    I think they are overdue for a sheet metal redesign and a 4WD option. The used one I test drove smelled like hamster farts and weed!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you make it down to Skillman Kia on Indy's far south side - stop in and talk to the Kia service department. They've impressed me with their willingness to answer questions from me - just a potential customer. (I wanted to pick the brain of the service manager about what years of Sedona to stay away from and if there were any glaring issues that I should know about. He really did just reconfirm what I'd researched online)

They also correctly diagnosed a very minor problem on our Sedona mini-van and attempted to fix it right there without an appointment or even pulling into a bay.

And while / if you're on the south side - go to Shallo's Restaurant and feast upon a deep fried burger. :D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Does Skillman have a Kia lot on Shadeland as well? That would be closer than greenwood.

ETA: My brother wants me to get tenderloins next to Butler.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Does Skillman have a Kia lot on Shadeland as well? That would be closer than greenwood.

ETA: My brother wants me to get tenderloins next to Butler.

1300 N Shadeland is another Skillman Kia dealership, too. Didn't realize they had two Kia stores.

Also note: There are two Butler Kias in the area. Near Broad Ripple and Fishers. Butler Auto Group is a Hyundai, Kia, Nissan, Scion, Toyota dealer selling new and used cars in Indianapolis, IN.

Rohrman Kia in Lafayette not worth doing business with?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Their price is a good bit higher. Not a big fan of rorhman anyway. The only base model colors they have are white and dune. We like the red, titanium and black. I like the moss but I do t think its available in the base model.

Would probably use rorhman for Kia dealer service to keep the 20/200,000 warranty if possible.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    I haven't driven a KIA before, but I've witnessed several of them involved in wrecks. They all sound (and look) like tin cans being crushed. Be sure to keep safety in mind when looking for a new car.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    We found a new Moss color base model at Rohrman tonight. I think it's the best deal we're going to find. Now just contemplating hitting the send on my phone to call back.

Top Bottom