• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So We have a spiral LED xmas tree as part of our christmas lighting. Its in the front yard 3' from the sidewalk.

I was getting ready for work and Mrs. Monkey stuck her head in the bathroom and I heard "the tree is on"

Great. the timer is broken. *sigh*. OK, I'll turn it off.

NO! The tree is GONE!

Sure enough, it appeared to be stolen. All that was left was the pole, and it was bent to the point of breaking. Its ruined. (I think the wiring was broken too)

We found it behind my car. When I checked The video, 4 teens walked up, ripped the spiral off the pole (bending it) and apparently realized they didnt know what to do with it so they threw it onto the back of my car.

Turns out they hit lots of the neighbors in a spree. They were caught 40 mins later spraying mustard on an inflatable. The homeowner banged on the window instead of sneaking out to catch them, so they got away. Or did they?

I posted the stills to my neighborhood group on Facebook. By the end of the day neighborhood moms and classmates of one of them had ID'd one of the girls. Another mom found a snapchat post bragging that they got busted doing it. And the idiots named names.

I know you cant be too smart to vandalize and cause mischeif. But to incriminate yourself on social media? (though they claimed they were only "running through the neighborhood")

I filed a report along with a bunch of other neighbors. One who was driving around looking for his stuff saw the officer and I and pulled over and we chatted a bit. He had stuff snapped off too. He was going to call in and file a report later.

Frankly I'd be happy if they replaced the tree and apologized to my 7yo. She was devastated when she saw it was gone.

Idiots.

Edit: The funniest part was the look on the officer's face when he saw a deep depression about 2' wide in my flowerbed when he first arrived. His first words were (while pointing at the hole) "They stole your TREE?!?!" I LOLed and clarified that it wasnt a real tree that was stolen, that hole was unrelated. But I dont blame him given the limited info he was given.

Last edited:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Awesome you have a neighborhood FB group.
    Made me go and look to see if we had one yet, and sure enough we do!

Sorry about your tree though :(

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Awesome you have a neighborhood FB group.
    Made me go and look to see if we had one yet, and sure enough we do!

Sorry about your tree though :(

This site is also awesome. Think facebook but geo-locked. You have to sign up with your address, but you can see your neighbors and who lives where. The farther away you get from someone, the less you can see about them. I could see all your info if you live 1 street over, but if you are in the next neighborhood I only see that you live in your neighborhood. Pretty cool for all of the local stuff without the stupid memes, jokes, etc.

http://www.nextdoor.com

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Our neighborhood and those surrounding us use Nextdoor as well, they have a pretty good app too. I've had a few people contact me in the summer when my garage door is open and it's during a work day just to make sure I'm home and all is secure.

EDIT: Sorry about your tree and neighbors decorations. We've had a few vandals and car break ins here as well. Someone stole our neighborhood sign and it's huge! No idea why anyone would do such a thing...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks guys. I'll still take the annoying child vandals over the alternatives. (violent crime,etc)

And it was between Nextdoor and the neighborhood group on FB that we were all able to work together to ID the kids. Its the second time I've nailed kids with images this grainy:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59860621/vandals122216/Screenshot 2016-12-22 08.23.32.png
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59860621/vandals122216/Screenshot 2016-12-22 08.23.33.png
    (Im not impressed but the officer was. He said its better than they usually get)

Between parents knowing what their kids wear and look like instinctively, and friends who hear about mayhem through the grapevine, its actually pretty easy to catch them. I wont get a court conviction, but all I care about is the parents stepping up and making it right.

The last kid I caught destroying my political signs the images were worse. But mom recognized his coat and distinctive shoes and dragged him down by the ear to apologize.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Those kids will be voting in a few years, choosing your leadership.

That sort of neighborhood thing doesn't work here, although someday I'm going to get cameras for the outside of the house. The squirrels and raccoons don't have facebook.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Didn't you have another issue last year with a spiral tree?

Not sure the time frame, but yes. Same tree, same MO. take it and run, dumping it nearby. Last kids were not as lazy. they got a whole 50 yards before dumping it. I came out, saw the pole leaning to the west so I started walking west. Got to the next road and there it was, discarded on top of the neighbor's trash can. I told that story to the trash can owner tonite and she had no idea. LOL

The first tree we put out years ago disappeared the first 24 hours never to be seen again. That whole tree was stolen to be used elsewhere. (pole and all) I had excellent weather when I got home from work the day before thanksgiving. So I put up the lights. Next evening we pulled in from being w family and we noticed it was gone.

time to tie one of these to the tree and the disabler key to a stake: (when they run the alarm follows the tree)
    Streetwise Mini Magnetic Contact Alarm w/ Key 105dB | The Home Security Superstore

Or copper conductive tape up each side of the plastic spiral, tied into the AC. Grab it and zzzzzzzzzzt!

or even better.
    [video=youtube;-JvxnrzB1Jk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JvxnrzB1Jk&t=2s[/video]

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Um, electrified fence connected to metal tree pole would be kinda entertaining... just saying, in a non mod position of course.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    the site is cool, but like 3 people in it so far (after registering a gazillion questions and wanting to invite everyone). tons of alerts from hendricks county sheriff's dept pertaining to avon, brownsburg, etc...
    Such is the life of living in a small town pop 1,000 :(

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    the site is cool, but like 3 people in it so far (after registering a gazillion questions and wanting to invite everyone). tons of alerts from hendricks county sheriff's dept pertaining to avon, brownsburg, etc...
    Such is the life of living in a small town pop 1,000 :(

Well, the invites are what makes it work. Thats how I got in it. LOVE it. Heck, I was able to forward my non-official complaint to our IMPD community liaison SGT directly to her. Not so much as an official report per se but a heads up of sorts to let the patrol officers know whats going on. That was before I decided to file a report due to the widespread damage.

And indygov works with them to send community updates for things like reminders about trash pickup delays due to holidays, etc. Sounds like your .gov is playing along as well.

And I just had another kid ID one of the other culprits. Her mom sent me a PM offering to get the kid's cell so I could call her. I'll pass. Might get the street address instead so I can talk to the parents. (or pass it on to the detective) I suggested the girl mention to the thugette that she check out the noise she has created so she can possibly fess up and work it out. We'll see. Not surprisingly every kid that has come forward wants nothing to do with this pack. Sounds like Scutt Farkus x4.

All I can say is I'm glad we're not in the hood. cuz there'd be lots of stitches going around. LOL

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    To the comment "spraying mustard on an inflatable."

Is that some new code? Because doing "that" in public could be very bad.

Top Bottom