• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I generally just snap their necks, it's quick & painless.

The easiest way to catch them is to treat train them, so that they'll come running to you instead of away from you, in order to eat the treats from your hand, then you just reach out and grab them.

No chasing involved at all.

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    A few years ago my neighbor asked me to shoot few of their 20 chickens while they were on vacation so that the kids and wife would not be around. I pulled into the drive and get out my .22 and make a lap around the barn and house and didn't see a single chicken. After sitting for about 3 minutes one comes walking around the corner of the barn and I shot 1 shot to the head and it started flopping around and within seconds there were about 10 other chickens that came running and started pecking and jumping on the one I had shot. With each one I shot they would just start jumping on it.

I definitely did not expect any of this to happen. Just something to be aware of.

met eng gun nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    if you are comfortable with your shot one to the back of the will do the trick with an air rifle. We had Light Brahmas not gonna get much bigger chicken than that.

sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    i just butchered some a few weeks ago. they were free range so i had some friends help me try to catch them. about 5 min in went and got the nylon 66. i would also think a pellet gun would work just fine

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    mine will come to me like that but none will let me grab them. i have 2 roosters and 1 needs to go also. i have heard that roosters taste bad? can anyone confirm this for me?

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    It's not that they taste "bad" it's that the meat is not as tender the older they get, same goes for rabbits.

I've found that slow cooking them in a stew pot gives the best results.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    cool. i am not struggling for food but i would like to try it lol but if it was going to taste nasty i was going to leave him in the coyote/coon pile and let him serve a good purpose

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Depends on the pellet gun. If you want to make it a quick clean kill a .22 would be best. When I was in HS me and my dad had this same problem and tried to take care of it with a pellet gun. Needless to say it wasn't quick. After that we started using a .22 or a hatchet.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I finally got around to it. 6 of my largest and most aggressive roosters are no longer around to abuse my hens! Turns out the strategy is to walk outside before the sun comes up and simply pick them up, off their roost, before they have the sense to wake up fully!

MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    A 0.22 caliber 21 grain hunting pellet (H&N Barracuda) in a spring piston airgun that will shoot them 800 fps (Beeman RS2 combo, $100 at Walmart) will kill them no problem. Standard 0.177 pellets are about 8 grains, standard .22 pellets are about 14 grains. These 21 grain rounded point pellets pack a wallop on small crap close up (within 25 yards).

These pellets are terrific on squirrels, lighter ones are good for chipmunks and birds.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have killed a lot of pesty things in the past in my mother's yard. All with a pellet rifle. The largest thing I ever killed was a raccoon one shot one kill. It was a Sqauradin 22 pellet rifle. It has to be pumped up like 8 times before it get the velocity.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I have killed a lot of pesty things in the past in my mother's yard. All with a pellet rifle. The largest thing I ever killed was a raccoon one shot one kill. It was a Sqauradin 22 pellet rifle. It has to be pumped up like 8 times before it get the velocity.
    A pellet rifle that can take a coon? You have my attention! :thumbsup:

My stepson says his pellet gun can be pumped up to 18 times, but I have no idea what kind of velocity it reaches, or if he knows what the heck he is talking about. Living across the street from the city limits I can really see the advantage of such a gun. Sub sonic, whisper quiet, deadly on small game!

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    A pellet rifle that can take a coon? You have my attention! :thumbsup:

My stepson says his pellet gun can be pumped up to 18 times, but I have no idea what kind of velocity it reaches, or if he knows what the heck he is talking about. Living across the street from the city limits I can really see the advantage of such a gun. Sub sonic, whisper quiet, deadly on small game!

Yep, my brother was BBQing in his backyard, to his surprise, three coons was across his swimming pool looking at his food. I happen to have my RSW rifle with me in the car, I wen to get it and load it up, I used a pellet from Beeman called slammer and it had a big front with a hollowpoint. Not sure if they still have it tho. One shot in below the coon's head, the thing dropped and dead. It was about 30 ft away. The other two quickly left his yard. We threw its body down the hill for other to eat. Next morning, the body was gone.

Top Bottom