• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Hello all, well after posting a couple threads and reading numerous posts and replies I thought that I had figured out which pistol was going to be my FIRST 1911.

I had decided on a Kimber Compact CDP II. I like combo of the 4" barrel and the shorter grip, LOVED the look, and it was plenty light enough to CC. I found a nice deal on a used one (90-95%) but I figured I would check some shops for new ones too so I can actually feel it or maybe shoot it if they had a rental and a range. I am now back to trying to decide. I can't tell you the number of times salespeople and owners of gun shops said, "never again", "shady CS", "poor CS and QC", or used the words "Unreliable", "Overrated and overpriced" to describe Kimber, or more accurately "newer" Kimber. I guess the older stuff was pretty good.

So I spent the weekend reading every post that I could on every forum I could find and it does seem that there is some agreement that Kimber has very poor customer service, especially compared to Springfield and Colt. There is some debate as to the quality and reliability, but a lot of shop owners/staff are the biggest critics which not only surprised me, it concerned me.

Being new to INGO, I also searched this forum first so I didn't have to ask a question that has been posted before. But, I didn't see any threads pertaining just to Kimber customer service / quality control. I am a fan of Honda because, in my experience, they are ultra reliable. I never had an issue with any Honda or Acura that I have owned. Even when I was young and dumb and drove my Prelude 100k+ miles without ever changing the oil :( Never an issue.

I have also had that experience with my H&K's and Sig's. Never an issue, never an FTF, never anything. They just go bang...every time I pull the trigger no matter what kind of ammo I am using.

Should I expect less from a gun that costs twice as much as any H&K or Sig that I currently own? Would I be better off with a Springfield or even a Colt because they will back their product better? I have heard that Springfield CS is second to none.

I always wanted a 1911 and I am now in a position to get one, I just don't want to throw money at a product simply because I like the way it looks especially considering that I MAY have to depend on it one day to save my life.

Any input would be appreciated.

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    I've owned 3 Kimbers - they have never exhibited a single operational problem. My Ultra CDP (original non - "II" version) has an ambi safety that felt soft and wiggled more than I liked. I shipped it back to Kimber and had it back in a week and it was rock solid.

I've never had any issues with mine.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Is the used Kimber you are looking at a private sale? If so, you should be able to meet at a range and give it a go. If it performs, buy it. If not, don't. I can't speak to Kimber quality, but you should be able to get a 1911 issue corrected at any competent gunsmith or parts from many sources if you later have an issue.

I'm not sure I'd drop the $$ on a Kimber, but that's just my taste.

The proof will be shooting the gun.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There's a guy over on GlockTalk who is a BIG TIME collector of firearms. He specializes in all metal-framed 9mm pistols, and in HIGH END full custom 1911s in .45 ACP.

The guy probably has as much invested in his handguns than I owe on my house.

But I digress: Despite owning numerous 1911 pistols from all price ranges, he carries a Kimber every day.

Like you, OP, I've read several reports of Kimbers not running right out of the box and needing sent back. If it were ME, I'd probably look at a S&W or a Springfield...but that's me.

-J-

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks for the replies.

Is the used Kimber you are looking at a private sale? If so, you should be able to meet at a range and give it a go. If it performs, buy it. If not, don't. I can't speak to Kimber quality, but you should be able to get a 1911 issue corrected at any competent gunsmith or parts from many sources if you later have an issue.

I'm not sure I'd drop the $$ on a Kimber, but that's just my taste.

The proof will be shooting the gun.

Actually the used gun is from a gun shop about 5-6 hours away so I won't be able to see it. It is a good price though. $949 for a (90-95%) gun that lists for $1,318 new. My only concern is that if I did have to send it back to Kimber for some reason, would they will back their product with good service. I have been told that they don't, especially second+ owners. But, I have also come across one for $1099 new at Buds, they are just out of stock and they don't expect anymore for about 7 weeks. The price really doesn't seem that bad for what you get. The Colt and Springfield 1911's similarly configured seem to cost $1,100+

There's a guy over on GlockTalk who is a BIG TIME collector of firearms. He specializes in all metal-framed 9mm pistols, and in HIGH END full custom 1911s in .45 ACP.

The guy probably has as much invested in his handguns than I owe on my house.

But I digress: Despite owning numerous 1911 pistols from all price ranges, he carries a Kimber every day.

Like you, OP, I've read several reports of Kimbers not running right out of the box and needing sent back. If it were ME, I'd probably look at a S&W or a Springfield...but that's me.

-J-

Interesting. I have been looking more seriously at Springfield because of their reputation for good customer service although when I price out similarly configured 1911's they are at least the price of the Kimber, if not a little more. I would like to look at S&W, but again when configured they way I would want it they were quite a bit more than the Kimber. I would like to stay around $1k, if not a little less, but I would like something lightweight with night sights.

It is interesting, at the gun shop I was just at 3 of the 4 salespeople were carrying CDP Kimbers, with the 4th carrying a Springfield. So, I guess it's just that people either love em or hate em.

Thanks for the input!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Look at it this way, CRHK, you're doing your absolute best to make the most informed decision you can!

$1000 ain't chump change, that's for sure.

Perhaps you can seek out local-to-you Kimber owners to see if you can get some range-time in? I know there are several INGOers across the northern part of the state; several get together in NWI every once in a while, as well as several Ft. Wayne area folks do the same.

-J-

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    CRHK88,
    you seem to have doubts about the Kimber. Why try and convince yourself that you should get it anyway? :scratch:

As far as price, is your main concern how much you spend, or if the 1911 is quality? I don't know about you but I have purchased things in the past that were "good deals" (cheaper), got them home, and found that they didn't perform as well, then spent even more money buying something different. :ugh: :bash: I've never spent a little more on something quality and regretted it. Know what I mean?

Go with your gut on this :thumbsup: not anyone else.

:twocents:

Last edited:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    You can't expect any gun to be 100% reliable and last forever. No matter how good a company is, there is bound to be a bad copy that slips through somehow. Of course, you don't want that one to be your gun, and you don't want to find out when you really need it. I understand. It seems that we probably shouldn't rely just on the company's reputation if we expect to depend on it. So buy from a good company, and it may be a good idea to have your carry gun checked over by a good gunsmith.

Then have a back up plan for weapon failure. Train for it. So you won't freeze up when your gun breaks in the middle of a fight.

Da Bing

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    "For Father's Day" my family got me a Kimber Crimson Carry. On the second shot, for whatever reason, the slide didn't return to batter all the way. Was probably my fault--don't know. So far I've put 100 rounds through it and that was the only hint of something going wrong. For whatever that's worth to you.

Like you I liked the look of the Kimbers and wanted one for a very long time...I'm very happy so far.

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks again for the replies.

CRHK88,
    you seem to have doubts about the Kimber. Why try and convince yourself that you should get it anyway? :scratch:

As far as price, is your main concern how much you spend, or if the 1911 is quality? I don't know about you but I have purchased things in the past that were "good deals" (cheaper), got them home, and found that they didn't perform as well, then spent even more money buying something different. :ugh: :bash: I've never spent a little more on something quality and regretted it. Know what I mean?

Go with your gut on this :thumbsup: not anyone else.

:twocents:

I agree, I have also gone with "good deals" only to end up spending a whole lot more money to correct my mistake. Not that long ago actually when I purchased a certain popular boxy polymer gun that will go unnamed, ;) when I could have put the $$$ towards a 1911, which is what I wanted from the beginning.

When I was able to get my hands on some 1911's, the Kimber 4" was by far the most appealing to me, as far as comfort, weight, appearance, etc. At first it was a Dan Wesson, until I handled the 4" Kimber. It was a done deal after that until I started reading up on people's experience with their reliability and customer service. That being said, I am open to other choices based on the following criteria: #1 Reliable/Warranty, #2 Accurate #3. Made in the US, from that point on I am moderately flexible although I would like a lightweight model.

Look at it this way, CRHK, you're doing your absolute best to make the most informed decision you can!

$1000 ain't chump change, that's for sure.

Perhaps you can seek out local-to-you Kimber owners to see if you can get some range-time in? I know there are several INGOers across the northern part of the state; several get together in NWI every once in a while, as well as several Ft. Wayne area folks do the same.

-J-

I may look into that. I am in no rush. I have been saving for some time now so I would have no problem waiting a little longer. I may wait until after the Indy 1500 show in August to see what I can come across there.

You can't expect any gun to be 100% reliable and last forever. No matter how good a company is, there is bound to be a bad copy that slips through somehow. Of course, you don't want that one to be your gun, and you don't want to find out when you really need it. I understand. It seems that we probably shouldn't rely just on the company's reputation if we expect to depend on it. So buy from a good company, and it may be a good idea to have your carry gun checked over by a good gunsmith.

Then have a back up plan for weapon failure. Train for it. So you won't freeze up when your gun breaks in the middle of a fight.

Da Bing

I did recently find a good 1911 gunsmith in the area that was recommended by users on this forum. So I will definitely have him check it out especially if I buy used.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    I purchased a Kimber TLE when they first came out. The front sight turned orange within a week of my purchase. I may have got some cleaning product in it but, had to ship the slide back. I was not happy that I had to pay shipping and they had it for three week to replace a front sight.

I have had several guns with night sights and have never had an issue before or after this.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Never have had a problem with my 3 Kimbers. :rockwoot:

That said I don't like trying to convince someone which gun to buy. Buy the one that speaks to you. Kimber, Colt, Springfield, Dan Wesson, all make fine 1911's. If your looking to buy a 1911 find one that has the features you want from a good manufacturer and you will love it.

By the way don't believe everything you read on the internet, like was suggested if you can find someone in your area that has some 1911's see if you can meet up at a range and give them a try.

I see your in Northern Indiana, I'm in the Fort Wayne area and would be happy to meet you at a range and let you give my Kimbers a workout (hardest part is fitting it to my schedule, I have a weird one :D)

Jimbovia

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Plainfield
    It is an Aluminum frame, and they just wont take the same beating that a Steel frame can handle. IMHO, they are designed to be light weight for carry, not durable for repeated & extended range sessions. If it will be used primarily as your CCW, you ought to be ok. Keep in mind that the only way to be certain (98-99%) of its reliability is a thorough inspection by an experienced gunsmith.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    When you look at the handgun production numbers on ATF's web site you can understand why you hear more about Kimbers than Colt or Springfield. For the 2009 production year Kimber produced 78,903 handguns, Colt 24,963 handguns, and Springfield 15,827 handguns. Kimber produced 1.9 times as many handguns as Colt and Springfield combined. There are many satisfied Kimber customers or their production numbers would not be so high and the fact that Kimber has a large handgun product line to choose from. Link to the last available year (2009) production numbers:
    http://www.atf.gov/statistics/download/afmer/2009-firearms-manufacturers-export-report.pdf

Top Bottom