• ...and so much more!
  • CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Never have had a problem with my 3 Kimbers. :rockwoot:

I see your in Northern Indiana, I'm in the Fort Wayne area and would be happy to meet you at a range and let you give my Kimbers a workout (hardest part is fitting it to my schedule, I have a weird one :D)

I have a kimber pro carry ll u can try out. I live in Laporte. If ur close hit me up and we'll hit the range.

Thanks for the offers, I live in South Bend and my schedule is also a bit crazy but if I am ever near Fort Wayne or Laporte I will keep that in mind. It is much appreciated.

The closest range to me is Midwest Gun in Elkhart (30 min away) and it seems that the rare times I have available are also when everyone else does. So, unfortunately, there have been long waits the past few times I was there. I definitely would like to check out a Kimber on the range though, I am not sure Midwest even has a Kimber, or any 1911 for that matter in their rental selection.

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    It is an Aluminum frame, and they just wont take the same beating that a Steel frame can handle. IMHO, they are designed to be light weight for carry, not durable for repeated & extended range sessions. If it will be used primarily as your CCW, you ought to be ok. Keep in mind that the only way to be certain (98-99%) of its reliability is a thorough inspection by an experienced gunsmith.

Thanks for the info. What would be considered extended range sessions? I usually go through a couple boxes (100 rounds) of 45 and a box or so each of 9 mm and 40 cal when I do make it out to Midwest. Then I try to get some time in with my AR. So even when I do get out, it's not all with the 45. I am not one to shoot a lot; since I don't reload it can get expensive. I try to get out as often as I can, but since there aren't too many places in the area to shoot I don't get a lot of range time. I was also looking at a Colt LW Commander and a Springfield, but they also had aluminum frames.

No problems with mine that wasn't related to the ammo I was using. And one bad mag spring. (say that 3 times fast!)

Was that the stock mag? I have read a bunch of articles about issues with their mags. Just curious as that would be an easy fix if I ended up going with a Kimber.

When you look at the handgun production numbers on ATF's web site you can understand why you hear more about Kimbers than Colt or Springfield. For the 2009 production year Kimber produced 78,903 handguns, Colt 24,963 handguns, and Springfield 15,827 handguns. Kimber produced 1.9 times as many handguns as Colt and Springfield combined. There are many satisfied Kimber customers or their production numbers would not be so high and the fact that Kimber has a large handgun product line to choose from. Link to the last available year (2009) production numbers:
    http://www.atf.gov/statistics/download/afmer/2009-firearms-manufacturers-export-report.pdf

Interesting data, thanks for posting. It does seem like they are doing something right to be able produce that many pistols, yet everyone seems to be out of stock when I look for them. As I mentioned in a previous post, the one shop I go to got seven in recently and all but two were sold before they even hit the floor. It just so happens that they were the ones that I have been looking for so I didn't even get to see one in person.

badge036

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    I too have had the same issues for awhile now. About wanting a 1911, and will probably end up with a kimber in my collection at one point or another. But none will ever take the place of my H&K rock solid dependable ammo eating machine.

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I too have had the same issues for awhile now. About wanting a 1911, and will probably end up with a kimber in my collection at one point or another. But none will ever take the place of my H&K rock solid dependable ammo eating machine.

Agreed, my H&K 40 cal is also incredibly reliable no matter what kind of ammo. I am not as big a fan of the .40 round as much as the .45, but if I ever needed something on me that I had to bet my life on, it would be my H&K.

As far as the 1911, I also decided to go with Kimber. Now to pick the model... I REALLY like the Ultra grip, but want the 4" barrel so I am probably going to go with either the Compact CDP or the Compact Stainless if I can find one.

Top Bottom