• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Only $4.99 on kindle? Buying it right now, I've paid more for less interesting sounding books before.
    P.S. Love the word count on this novel!! I love wordy books and find the average novel
    length of about 350-400 pages way too short!

I was trying to figure out how to diplomatically put that in the description at Amazon. I have been burned WAY too many times by $4 and $5 ebooks that are only a few hundred pages long. Or writers that will break their story up into 7 or 8 chunks so that you end up paying nearly 20 bucks for a normal-length novel.

Honestly, I should have probably split this into two parts - it's ~180,000 words, 626 pages printed in trade format, which is probably more like 700 in a standard paperback.

I grew up reading Tom Clancy; I guess that explains it. ;)

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    So, uh, grew up reading Bill Forstchen. One Second After is one of my favorite books.

Holy crap.

29740519146_e64b507849_o.png

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I am about to get it and give a read then review. I will use KU and I hope you get some sort of renumeration that way.

I will let you know!

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    LOL one amazon customer already wants a sequel soon, better start writing!! :laugh:

%20 of the way through, besides 2-3 grammatical/spelling errors (no biggie, I've gotten books from big publishers/authors that have had the same), I can't find anything wrong with it and love it so far!

Last edited:

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Appreciate any and all reviews. Once you hit a certain number of reviews Amazon actively promotes your work with similar books.

One Shot, One Kill -- can you PM location numbers and description of the errors? Nice thing is I can update the print and ebook versions and corrections will cascade out down the road.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Zombies are sooo not my thing. Nonetheless I will give this a go since I have KU. Nice to see a fellow INGOer making good!

Hey - I was in the same position: never been interested in "zombie" stories. Just not my thing.

But, I'm very glad I read this one. Hopefully this isn't a spoiler (JT - tell me and I'll edit) but the zombieism thing is, at an appropriate time, explained in a way that fits. Like, it is both internally consistent within the story and only requires a minimum of suspension of disbelief. Frankly, Clancy stories (especially his middle period of writing) required more suspension of disbelief than this "zombie" book.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I'm cool with spoilers, do we have any way of tagging them?

Not to say I'd recommend reading it if you're unaware, because I think it would mess up one of my favorite parts of the book, but I know sometimes people like reading them.

test

Grr, nope.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    haha

No, I think I asked for the spoiler tag a couple years ago. Not sure why it is absent, as it is pretty common in other vB forums.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Appreciate any and all reviews. Once you hit a certain number of reviews Amazon actively promotes your work with similar books.

One Shot, One Kill -- can you PM location numbers and description of the errors? Nice thing is I can update the print and ebook versions and corrections will cascade out down the road.
    There is one I have noticed so far, just started the book though. In the blurb about the book, it pops up whenI first open it on my Paperwhite, There is one instance of the word "week" that should be "weak"

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes

Stupid me didn't think to write down the typos, Warthog has already identified one. When I get a chance I'll try to find the other one. I mentioned 2-3 earlier, but checked over the one I thought was iffy and think it's OK after rereading a few times. I'm having trouble finding the 2nd typo, maybe Warthog will come across it, either that or I imagined it and if so I apologize haha!

Last edited:

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    There is one I have noticed so far, just started the book though. In the blurb about the book, it pops up whenI first open it on my Paperwhite, There is one instance of the word "week" that should be "weak"

That should be fixed. I corrected it onthe Amazon site. #darnyouautocorrect

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Stupid me didn't think to write down the typos, Warthog has already identified one. When I get a chance I'll try to find the other one. I mentioned 2-3 earlier, but checked over the one I thought was iffy and think it's OK after rereading a few times. I'm having trouble finding the 2nd typo, maybe Warthog will come across it, either that or I imagined it and if so I apologize haha!
    Yeah I looked, IDK if I can find it without re-reading the first whole 120 pages. Like I said, either Warthog or another reader can help, or I'm crazy. I will bookmark any typos I find from now on though, if there are any to be found!

It keeps getting better, excellent writing! I'm jealous, I can write a mean essay or review, but I suck at fiction and narratives.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    One of my favorite reviews yet:

I found that I really enjoyed this novel for the things it didn't have. It didn't have any characters I yelled at for being stupid, it showed people who learned from experience and were able to adapt to changing conditions, sometimes not quite fast enough, and it didn't have any Glocks with safeties.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I am 9% into the book, where we first see Pete and his students. I have to say this book is WELL written. It's reasonably tight. No undue fluff. I've found one typo, which I noted. Characters are realistic, dialogue natural. All in all a professional effort!

Top Bottom