• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    DOH! I wish I'd seen this a couple weeks ago. We just got back from vacation and I had nothing to read. JT, I'm definitely picking this up for my kindle this evening. From what I've read here, it'll be good reading. Plus, helping a fellow INGOer is always a plus.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Hey Chip,

Can you take a second look at your comparison to the White Walkers in terms of spoilers? ;)

Hmm... I don't think that's really a spoiler? Analogies only go so far. :)

See, I felt it suspenseful until right near the actual reveal. By then, the tension was more of a won't-they-figure-it-out-before-something-terrible-happens!?!?!

Right - which is why I thought it might have been by design, perhaps.

That would be super-creepy! :)

Just make sure Ramin Djawadi writes the soundtrack if/when this is ever made into a movie. :)

In terms of influence, I felt like the scientific part was very Crichton-esque.

Crichton is another excellent comparison.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    The only thing I can say to the contrary - and maybe this was by design? - is that the murder mystery really wasn't a mystery. It was a bit too obviously foreshadowed, and the character in question developed a bit too one-dimensionally.

Yeah, I wanted to do some more scenes with the killer, possibly even some mystery POV scenes where they aren't identified, but I felt like it was already overflowing by the time I got to the end. It ended up about 50% larger than I was thinking it would be. My original plan was going to have flashback for each character with why they survived but it was just too much. Most of the bad reviews I have on Amazon are related to length. Guess I'm weird, I grew up on Clancy, I'm used to getting my money's worth. I hate paying for a 200-page eBook and finishing it in a day. :p

I was kind of trying to hint that the killer was someone else though, I'm bummed that you saw through it. ;)

I've started outlining a bit and even have a good portion of the first chapter of #2 written resolving the cliffhanger involving the kids Charlie found.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Yeah,length,I write a lot of bad reviews whenI pay for a novel and get a short story. I prefer to get more than I thought, what a weird culture we have when they say more is bad and they want less.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Starting to get some blog reviews . . . very cool.

Altered Instinct: Book Review: A Place Outside The Wild, by Daniel Humphreys PLUS Them: Aberration, by MD Massey

This quote struck me as forum-appropriate:

There's something of a wealth of detail when it comes to military hardware - you'll find detailed descriptions of the guns on show for starters, and their loadout in terms of bullets, choice for penetration, types of scopes and so on. Whether that sways you for or against, be aware there's plenty of that. A lot is in context though of these hardened fighters and the tools they use to stay alive.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    WOO HOO! You are famous!

As I said, I usually hate Zombie Stories and shows and movies. I actually really liked your book though.

I am ready to proof your next book when you are ready to let me too. You have my email and if it is lost, PM me. :)

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    WOO HOO! You are famous!

As I said, I usually hate Zombie Stories and shows and movies. I actually really liked your book though.

I am ready to proof your next book when you are ready to let me too. You have my email and if it is lost, PM me. :)

I'm like 2/3rds of the way there. Plan is to be done by Jan 31, edit and cover design month of February, launch sometime in March.

Top Bottom