• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Doesn't look like it would do too well here in the southern woods, hilly narrow roads, light bridges. More of an item for the northern suburbs, flat paved streets or open country.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Brown County needs one. Run through the damn meth houses because unless they burn down it's not like they'll go anywhere.

Even if they burn down doesn't mean they won't be right at it a couple weeks later anyway. With an MRAP they might get the hint.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Looks like a lot of fun in the woods. A super sized 4-wheeler... with armor...

If it's a true MRAP, weight of that thing is 45-65,000 lbs... it'll sink to the axles before you even make it into the mud-hole in the woods. HEAVY, clunky, slow, and ridiculously expensive to buy & maintain... You'd be better off with a purpose-built swamp buggy etc.

Or, the SOF light-armored off-road vehicle (I forget the name of it). Seats 4 plus turret, 19" travel independent suspension, 4wd, 6.5L turbo-diesel built-up by a professional performance diesel shop... they only made 19 of them, and most of them ended in/around Tarin Kowt, Afghanistan then they discontinued the program. It was exactly what you would expect if an "off-road enthusiast" was tasked with building a light armored vehicle for SOF teams and given unlimited budget.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    If it's a true MRAP, weight of that thing is 45-65,000 lbs... it'll sink to the axles before you even make it into the mud-hole in the woods. HEAVY, clunky, slow, and ridiculously expensive to buy & maintain... You'd be better off with a purpose-built swamp buggy etc.

Or, the SOF light-armored off-road vehicle (I forget the name of it). Seats 4 plus turret, 19" travel independent suspension, 4wd, 6.5L turbo-diesel built-up by a professional performance diesel shop... they only made 19 of them, and most of them ended in/around Tarin Kowt, Afghanistan then they discontinued the program. It was exactly what you would expect if an "off-road enthusiast" was tasked with building a light armored vehicle for SOF teams and given unlimited budget.

You lost me at 6.5 turbo diesel, that motor sucks!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You lost me at 6.5 turbo diesel, that motor sucks!

It may "suck" stock, but when built up by a true performance shop they were an animal to contend with. They actually sounded about like a top-fuel dragster starting up... Why do you think the 6.5 sucks? MANY of them in Humvees chugging along quite well... You want real suck the naturally aspirated 6.2L predecessor sucked. It was absolutely gutless, my dad used to have a few farm & business trucks, you would be lucky to get over 60 mph and that's with the pumps turned up. Not to derail more but IMHO the only diesel worth having in a pickup is a Cummins. Dad's had them all, 6.2L, 6.5L, Duramax, 6.0 ford, 6.4 ford, 5.9 cummins, and 6.7 cummins. The only ones that actually hold up and don't milk the owner on maintenance is the cummins. He currently has a 6.4 ford, 5.9 cummins, and 6.7 cummins. The Ford is continuously in the shop; if he didn't have a huge sum of money sunk into the F-550 service truck he would have sent it down the road a LONG time ago.

That being said, I remembered the name and found a picture. This is an SRAT next to a RG-31 MRAP. I misremembered many of the details, it wasn't an independent suspension, and I don't see how they could get 19" travel on it, and I don't think it has a turret (they used CROWS on them if anything).
    38a071ac13b877896a4429b9212ee580--military-vehicles-dodge-vehicles.jpg

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    We've got the same one up here in St. Joseph county.

i live in st joe county and i swear they get the mrap out just to drive it and show it off. I really see no useful purpose to own a vehicle designed to deflect the explosion of an ied for rolling through the mean streets of mishawaka and granger.

They need that to keep people who are legally carrying out of the voting booths there I think...

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I do. Unfortunately the biggest draw back is ours is too big to fit almost anywhere it would have come in handy over the last few years. A smaller armored vehicle would be much more useful.
    I was thinking that it looked to massive to be used in most scenarios. One of the problems with something like this is that when you build something that can handle almost anything then you have something that you can barely do anything with.

Top Bottom