• ...and so much more!
  • ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i have started in the last year have bad knee trouble......i get down on my knees and can't hardly get back up because of the pain.....90% of it from the work i have done for the last 36 years HVAC.

i haven't been to the doc yet but just want to here from others that have knee trouble and what doctors have done for them.....would like to avoid replacement as long as i can.....

thanks to all...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've been fortunate not to have had any knee problems, but know many folks my age who have. In the end they all got replacement surgery and all said the same thing that they wished they had gotten it sooner. A friend is trying to lose weight before getting his but at 6'7 and 360 he's got a job ahead of him.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I had Uflexa (sp) shots behind my knee caps a couple of times. First time it worked great, the second was so so
    Now I'm taking Flexeral (sp) some days they work great others are so so
    50% arthritis in my left knee 40% in the right

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    im 41 and no cartilage in both knees. jan of 2016 i had left knee cleaned out and a micro bone fracture [ they drill small holes in both bones] and had 4 weeks of no weight on left leg. took almost 2 years to get back up to strength. does not help i ran construction equipment and set most of the time and 9 years ago i was a mechanic for 10 yrs. still after setting for 1 hour im stiff. have pain in both knees. the doc wants me to wait till im 50 to replace them both. have a friend had both his replaced at 34, i just have to find the right doc to do it and have the extra money. ive had cortisone shots in both knees. it lasts for 6 weeks. but still alittle pain if i step wrong. i can only get 2 shots a year. so i save them for vacations and the like. i got 3 shots in each knee [ 1 a week] of some kind of acid that is a lube but that did not help much. the doc said he has done knee replacements on men that had better knees that mine. i have a scope pics of the one knee. going to call the doc tomorrow and see if i can get them cleaned out again.

dad had the same problem and similar age, im bow legged so my joint is off, i grew real fast in grade school. i was 5' 11.75" in 6th grade. ive grew 3 inches sense then.

go to the doc and get it checked out.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My brother is like the OP and CM, he does HVAC work and it has killed his knees (weight doesn't help either). He has had them cleaned out 3 times and now they say he needs replacements. However 2 Dr's have said he is too young (41) and they would likely need replaced againin @15yrs.

I have reached the point my knees are bothering me too. Sometimes feels like something is being pinched and can hear crunching sounds when I bend my knees. 20yrs of working as a mechanic (and my weight doesn't help) is taking a toll. I've been working on the weight issue but my knees are bad enough that it limits what I can do in a gym. Worked with a trainer with good success for a while but the weekly cost became prohibitive. Focusing now on a better diet (try eating healthy when you spend weekends at a race track) and doing what I can in the gym with resistance and cardio (running and eliptical aren't an option at this point). I tell my kids I'm like an old tank with a broken track. My turret still turns and my cannon still fires but I can't run so I'll just have to stand and fight.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    then you can just impress people with stories

View attachment 61959

:):

in all seriousness,

Get the knees fixed proper. My sister was told many times she was to young for a replacement on both knees. How young is to young to be pain free and able to walk?
    Once she turned the "magic age" she had both knees replaced 4 mths apart. She has never been so happy and pain free. She's short and I always had to walk slow for her, now I can't keep up with her.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My brother is like the OP and CM, he does HVAC work and it has killed his knees (weight doesn't help either). He has had them cleaned out 3 times and now they say he needs replacements. However 2 Dr's have said he is too young (41) and they would likely need replaced againin @15yrs.

I have reached the point my knees are bothering me too. Sometimes feels like something is being pinched and can hear crunching sounds when I bend my knees. 20yrs of working as a mechanic (and my weight doesn't help) is taking a toll. I've been working on the weight issue but my knees are bad enough that it limits what I can do in a gym. Worked with a trainer with good success for a while but the weekly cost became prohibitive. Focusing now on a better diet (try eating healthy when you spend weekends at a race track) and doing what I can in the gym with resistance and cardio (running and eliptical aren't an option at this point). I tell my kids I'm like an old tank with a broken track. My turret still turns and my cannon still fires but I can't run so I'll just have to stand and fight.

The "Crunch when you move" thing is my neck. It sounds like gravel being crunched up at times. My shoulders are in worse shape then my hips/knees. Lifting the heavy gear and equip. over the years has taken a toll.
    I no longer run or get in a hurry. I can walk right along at a good clip but running.........:lmfao:

Well, Fire. Fire will make me run.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I've been fortunate not to have had any knee problems, but know many folks my age who have. In the end they all got replacement surgery and all said the same thing that they wished they had gotten it sooner. A friend is trying to lose weight before getting his but at 6'7 and 360 he's got a job ahead of him.
    The boss I had 30 years ago got them replaced and that is what he said. I went to see him at the hospital. There he was all cut up and had some machine pumping his knee back and forth. He said it was the first time he hadn't been in pain for years.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The "Crunch when you move" thing is my neck. It sounds like gravel being crunched up at times. My shoulders are in worse shape then my hips/knees. Lifting the heavy gear and equip. over the years has taken a toll.
    I no longer run or get in a hurry. I can walk right along at a good clip but running.........:lmfao:

Well, Fire. Fire will make me run.

I don't so much have back or neck issues but my shoulders scream quite regularly from all those years working with my hands above my head. Everything seems to hurt more than it used to

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Knee pain is no joke. For the last 5 months, I’ve been suffering thru Patellafemoral pain syndrome in my left knee.

I can finally start walking and kneeling without pain now.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    i just set a appoint for January for both knees. shots wont last long enough. setting here typing they both hurt. i cant walk for stand for long periods. i tell people if u see me running u better be running the same way because some one is hurt or chasing me.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Get a Neoprene Brace with the open knee cap. I was told I needed a replacement 17 years ago, still have the Original Equipment. All the Fun you have when your young comes back to Bite you.

Top Bottom