• ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wear a pair of these:

https://www.amazon.com/BraceAbility-Bariatric-Adjustable-Meniscus-Arthritis/dp/B00CNAT16E?th=1

71RZzwJpUwL._SX522_.jpg

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Osteoarthritis also goes hand in hand with some injuries, both traumatic and overuse injuries.

When I was in my early 20s and a competitive powerlifter, I was having a lot of pain and mobility issues with one of my shoulders. I went to the same orthopod who worked on the pitchers for the Oakland As and when he looked at the xrays of my shoulder, he didn't think he had the right radiographs because I was young and there was a lot of degeneration that looked like arthritis. He kept asking me, "How old are you??"

I want to hear more about you being a competitive power lifter.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I want to hear more about you being a competitive power lifter.

1988 - USPF Northern California Bench Press Champion, 275+ weight class
    1988 - ADFPA Northern California Bench Press championships, 2nd place, 275+ weight class
    1988-89 - ADFPA top 16 list in the country, bench press, 275+ weight class

USPF = United States Powerlifting Federation
    ADFPA = American Drug Free Powerlifting Association

I don't know if either organization still exists.

I didn't win anything in 3-lift meets (squat, bench press, deadlift) because I sucked at squatting compared to other guys in my class and I was too lazy to train deadlift hard enough to be good at it.

I moved back to Indiana in 1991. I was in grad school at Purdue (briefly) and training with the Purdue powerlifting club. After I recovered from the shoulder issue that I mentioned earlier, I was making faster progress on the bench press than I ever had. I remember training with some guys in the club at the gym on campus. Some of the football players were there trying to show off by doing a few reps bouncing the bar off of their chests with 315. I was next to them just warming up and I did 12 reps with 315 lightly touching my chest on each rep, then I left the bar lowered to my chest to get a little stretch. They thought I was stuck, but I was told them I was fine and racked the bar when I was ready. Then I did some work on my top sets. All but one of them left. The one who stayed asked me questions about training.

The guys in the club asked me to coach them on technique (mine was pretty good them). It was a completely different lift back then because your head and hips had to remain on the bench, and your head, hips, and feet (flat on the floor) had to remain motionless during the lift. Nowadays, most of the organizations allow hips off the bench, etc. which has turned the lift into a decline bench press. That both shortens the distance the bar has to travel as well as allows you to use your lattissmus dorsi, the strongest muscles in your upper body. That's one reason why numbers are so much higher now.

I didn't get to compete with the Purdue club because I broke my wrist at the Gold's Gym that used to be on Pike Plaza in Indy when I let a dumbass spot me on inclines and he handed the bar to me too far away from the uprights. I made a brief comeback after that, but in 1994 it ended due to lower back injury, which changed everything in my life.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My right knee has less arthritis than the left but its been permanently hyper- extended since I was a kid.
    I went to boot camp in the 90's during the first gulf war at almost 30. Recruiter knew about the knee, passed the physical at MEPS. Made about 3 weeks of boot camp before I couldn't walk.
    Drs. At Benning wanted to do surgery, I opted to take a med discharge, I was National Guard, almost 30, married, and didn't want to get recycled

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I had knee surgery last month for a torn meniscus. Still recovering, but it's much better than before surgery.

Top Bottom