• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Im thinking about picking up a few new knives come tax time. I'd like one for general use and one for use as a last-ditch defensive piece. I know next to nothing about knives so I need some help.

For the defensive piece I was thinking about something like a TDI, definitely some sort of fixed blade that size that I could get a kydex sheath and carry it up front on my belt.

The work knife I'd like to be an auto, just for the novelty. Nothing too huge, but big enough to be handled by my ogre hands.

Both need to be quality made, hold a mean edge, and made in America would be a plus. However, price shouldn't be outrageous; I'll pay for quality but not jewel-encrusted gold.

What should I be looking for to fill thelse roles? Links and/or prices would be a huge plus.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If you could set a price range that would be very beneficial as differnet folks have different definitions of reasonable prices. I dint want to reccomend something way below or way above the price you had in mind.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Defensive knife : Esee 3 or 4. Go to their web site and read their awesome warranty. And you can buy them from INGO"s own Knife Lady.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    For the defensive piece I was thinking about something like a TDI, definitely some sort of fixed blade that size that I could get a kydex sheath and carry it up front on my belt.

Both need to be quality made, hold a mean edge, and made in America would be a plus. However, price shouldn't be outrageous; I'll pay for quality but not jewel-encrusted gold.

Are we talking about a Hinderer TDI or a KABAR TDI (made in Taiwan)? You said made in America would be a plus, but didn't want the price to be outrageous. I just ask because it seems like the Hinderer TDIs never pop up anymore and would probably go for $500-$600 since they're pretty much customs from Rick and hasn't offered them for a while (unless you take his class if I remember right)

For an auto, I'd look into a Microtech Ultratech or something from Protech however the Kershaws are great for the money.

Just because something isn't made in the US doesn't mean it's junk either. Lots of good products coming from overseas

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    If you could set a price range that would be very beneficial as differnet folks have different definitions of reasonable prices. I dint want to reccomend something way below or way above the price you had in mind.

There lies the problem, I don't know. I have limited knowledge about knives so I'm not sure how low I could go and still get quality. I would think something around $150 each would be my top end for "justifiable."

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    There lies the problem, I don't know. I have limited knowledge about knives so I'm not sure how low I could go and still get quality. I would think something around $150 each would be my top end for "justifiable."

Just talk to Sheila, Knife Lady, she will treat you right .....

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Are we talking about a Hinderer TDI or a KABAR TDI (made in Taiwan)? You said made in America would be a plus, but didn't want the price to be outrageous. I just ask because it seems like the Hinderer TDIs never pop up anymore and would probably go for $500-$600 since they're pretty much customs from Rick and hasn't offered them for a while (unless you take his class if I remember right)

I was talking about the KaBar. Not specifically it, but something that follows that idea, especially the sheath.

I wasn't aware of where the KaBar was made.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The Kabar Hinderance is a pretty slick knife, mainly cause the design of the Hinderer TDI is very aggressive.

For $150 on a fixed blade, Battle Horse makes some great knives and some aggressive designs. Shadowtech could be another option for self defense. Scrap Yard and Swamp Rat have been having some lately in that price range too and would fit the desired purpose.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I am in no ways an expert on this, so take this for what it's worth :twocents:
    On a defensive knife, I'd keep a few things in mind.
    -First, seek some sort of training if you seriously want to be proficient with a knife. The more I'm taught, the more I discover how little I actually knew. A $5 fruit knife is much more dangerous in the hands of someone that knows how to use it, than a high end defensive blade in the hands of someone that doesn't. The Fillipino's and Indonesian's are the best with a blade, and Arnis / Kali / Escrima & Silat are great places to learn the art of the blade.
    -Second is to buy a trainer, especially if it's something uniquely shaped such as the TDI, Clinch Pik, Benchmade COCP / Spartan CQB tool, karambit etc........ I learned this the hard way a few years back, and wear a nasty scar as on my wrist as a reminder from where I gutted it with my Emerson Super Karambit. If you can't find a trainer, make one simply by tracing it out of something such as a cutting board.
    -Third is if you're going to carry a fixed blade is to invest in a terrific sheath. If it's not comfortable, you won't wear it all the time. The same may go if it's not easily concealed. If it's not extremely easy to deploy, chances are you won't be able to access it under extreme stress or conflict. The PHLster Fight Worthy sheath for the TDI and Clinch Pik are awesome (Dark Star Gear also makes an excellent one for the Clinch Pik as well), and Blade Rigs makes an awesome one for the COCP as well as a variety of other blades.
    -Fourth is to consider carrying more than one, placed at different parts of your person. As the old saying goes, "One is good, two is better, three is best". If you're knocked to the ground on the same side that you have your knife, it's going to be difficult to deploy. But if you have another on your center line, neck, etc......, you may be able to access it.

Me personally, I want something light and comfortable in the hand, easy to conceal, and very strong. The ESEE 3 & 4 earlier suggested are fantastic work knives, but a terrible defensive choice due to the choil because they get caught on stuff when thrusting. Enough of a punyo to strike with / yet not enough to have the blade stripped away. Avoid things like glass breakers, because when you orientate the blade in a reverse grip / thumb over the top and throw a hammer fist, you'll destroy the bones in your thumb. Look for finger grooves or some other way to know the orientation of the blade as you're drawing it (as well as putting it away), and a grippy surface. Strong tip, and a profile that is not wider than the bone cavity of the eye.

The TDI you mentioned is a nice option, and very popular amongst those who carry a sidearm to aid in cutting a bad guy off it. I personally prefer a karambit, due to the ring for retention as well as an aid for striking. I'm also a huge fan of the Shivworks Clinch Pik, and the TAD model is much more affordable than a custom option such as a Ban Tang. Worn at your center line, it's very easy to access, even in a bear hug with your arms trapped.

That Siegel is pretty sweet too. And that JB Stout

Thanks guys. That Stout knife is awesome, and went to live with Dtrap. I'm kind of surprised those two Striders haven't gotten more attention.

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Work knife, I personally wouldn't want an auto unless it was a side opening one due to reliability and blade lockup. Benchmade would be a good choice because the Axis lock is so strong. You might also look at an Emerson, very tough knifes and IMO easier and faster to deploy than an auto. The Zero Tolerance / Emerson 0630 collab would be awesome because it would deploy fast and have a very strong lock.

I'd personally stay away from some of the newer "super steel's" because they can be a major pain in the ass to maintain a good edge on. Also, plain edge > than serrated on a user, simply because it is much easier to keep sharp.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Thanks guys. That Stout knife is awesome, and went to live with Dtrap. I'm kind of surprised those two Striders haven't gotten more attention.

Somehow I'm not surprised Dustin wound up with it.

So the Striders haven't gotten much attention...that mean the Siegel hasn't either and you want to sell it for $50 ;)

Work knife, I personally wouldn't want an auto unless it was a side opening one due to reliability and blade lockup. Benchmade would be a good choice because the Axis lock is so strong. You might also look at an Emerson, very tough knifes and IMO easier and faster to deploy than an auto. The Zero Tolerance / Emerson 0630 collab would be awesome because it would deploy fast and have a very strong lock.

I'd personally stay away from some of the newer "super steel's" because they can be a major pain in the ass to maintain a good edge on. Also, plain edge > than serrated on a user, simply because it is much easier to keep sharp.

The Spyderco Manix II is another great axis lock blade and agreed, the ZT/Emerson colabs are bad ass and deploy quickly and smooth.

For super steels IMO it comes down to heat treat. I've heard some having issues sharpening M390 but my Diskin resharpens fine. The Lionsteel SR1AL I had in D2 was a PITA to sharpen and never got popping sharp but my Medfords are super sharp and are easier to resharpen. Kind of a crapshoot almost

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    In your price range, here's what I'd do:

EDC - Spyderco PM2 if you're not 100% set on an auto. If you HAVE to have an auto, I'd get a Microtech Ultratech.
    Fixed Blade - Pick something out at Survive Knives. 3V is the bees knees.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Somehow I'm not surprised Dustin wound up with it.

So the Striders haven't gotten much attention...that mean the Siegel hasn't either and you want to sell it for $50 ;)

I bought it off of Bobbystoney a few years back, I think I gave him $75 but he erased the ad (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/knives/180638-busse-horton-siegle-swamp-rat-koyote-ect.html). I would take my money back if you or someone else wanted it. Cool knife, I just have about a dozen other karambits.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I bought it off of Bobbystoney a few years back, I think I gave him $75 but he erased the ad (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/knives/180638-busse-horton-siegle-swamp-rat-koyote-ect.html). I would take my money back if you or someone else wanted it. Cool knife, I just have about a dozen other karambits.

Bobbystoney with a cool Siegel....imagine that. Lucky tall hairy bastid. I just picked up another damn knife I shouldn't have bought, so listing a couple things tomorrow. May have to hit you up on that later. I almost never carry my La Griffe or Swick 3 so don't know if I'd carry that, but it's cool

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Bobbystoney with a cool Siegel....imagine that. Lucky tall hairy bastid. I just picked up another damn knife I shouldn't have bought, so listing a couple things tomorrow. May have to hit you up on that later. I almost never carry my La Griffe or Swick 3 so don't know if I'd carry that, but it's cool

Haha, yeah, Bobby has all the cool stuff. I haven't seen him post on here for quite a while.

Top Bottom