• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    For the work knife the Kershaw Launch series is pretty hard beat they all come in at around $100 or so street price are USA made, feature a very capable steel that holds a good edge and is not difficult to resharpen at all. And you get Kershaws killer lifetime warranty as well that is with out a doubt my recommendation for an Auto EDC knife in that general price range you set earlier. Launch 1 |  Kershaw Knives

As for the fixed blade defensive knife I am a fan of the Spyderco Reverse is can be carried a multitude of different ways comes with a halfway decent sheath and carried appendix it can be quite the effective GTFO knife. https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=914
    [video=youtube;hoG-YytiZaQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoG-YytiZaQ[/video]

Now if you wanted to combine the two knives into one bigger purchase the ZT Emerson collaborations would not be a bad option either. ZT is owned by Kershaw so you are still getting the warranty and brand recognition but ZT is Kersaws "Cadillac" line so to speak. The ZT emerson features a "wave opening" device that deploys the blade as you remove the knife from your pocket so it is very fast. The blade uses either CTS-204p, Elmax or S35VM steels all very good and high end steels befitting a knife of that price range. The Emerson could excel at being a good EDC / defensive blade so you are not having to carry 2 different blades on your person (not that there is anything wrong with that Rhino). 0630 |  ZT Knives
    I am a big fan of the ZT / Emerson collaborations, I have a pretty decent background dealing in wide variety of knife price points and I firmly believe the ZT to be a great knife. Especially for the money allot of other companies would charge $400 for the same knife.
    [video=youtube;o4mtyJ757ZM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4mtyJ757ZM[/video]
    A pretty good demo of why the Emerson wave feature is such an effective deployment method.

Hopefully I covered everything pretty well, let me know if you have any more questions or would like any more input.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    For the work knife the Kershaw Launch series is pretty hard beat they all come in at around $100 or so street price are USA made, feature a very capable steel that holds a good edge and is not difficult to resharpen at all. And you get Kershaws killer lifetime warranty as well that is with out a doubt my recommendation for an Auto EDC knife in that general price range you set earlier. Launch 1 |* Kershaw Knives

As for the fixed blade defensive knife I am a fan of the Spyderco Reverse is can be carried a multitude of different ways comes with a halfway decent sheath and carried appendix it can be quite the effective GTFO knife. https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=914
    [video=youtube;hoG-YytiZaQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoG-YytiZaQ[/video]

Now if you wanted to combine the two knives into one bigger purchase the ZT Emerson collaborations would not be a bad option either. ZT is owned by Kershaw so you are still getting the warranty and brand recognition but ZT is Kersaws "Cadillac" line so to speak. The ZT emerson features a "wave opening" device that deploys the blade as you remove the knife from your pocket so it is very fast. The blade uses either CTS-204p, Elmax or S35VM steels all very good and high end steels befitting a knife of that price range. The Emerson could excel at being a good EDC / defensive blade so you are not having to carry 2 different blades on your person (not that there is anything wrong with that Rhino). 0630 |* ZT Knives
    I am a big fan of the ZT / Emerson collaborations, I have a pretty decent background dealing in wide variety of knife price points and I firmly believe the ZT to be a great knife. Especially for the money allot of other companies would charge $400 for the same knife.
    [video=youtube;o4mtyJ757ZM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4mtyJ757ZM[/video]
    A pretty good demo of why the Emerson wave feature is such an effective deployment method.

Hopefully I covered everything pretty well, let me know if you have any more questions or would like any more input.

The Reverse almost has me sold on the sheath alone. I like the idea of being able to get it and then learn what works best for me and reconfigure it if necessary.

Is there a reason everyone recommends the Launch 1 over the 2 or 3?

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    As for an edc folder I have been eyeing the Fox Dart. Ring for retention and wave for immediate deployment . It's also got a straight tanto blade for edc use.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    The Reverse almost has me sold on the sheath alone. I like the idea of being able to get it and then learn what works best for me and reconfigure it if necessary.

I was not trying to reccomend the launch over the 2 or 3. They are materials wise the same exact knife the blades are all CPM154, the handles are all anodized aluminum and they are all made in the USA. The only real choice between the three is wich one you like most personally. I prefer the launch 1 myself but that's just because the wider blade design appeals to me. You can't go wrong with any of the launch knives basically.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I was not trying to reccomend the launch over the 2 or 3. They are materials wise the same exact knife the blades are all CPM154, the handles are all anodized aluminum and they are all made in the USA. The only real choice between the three is wich one you like most personally. I prefer the launch 1 myself but that's just because the wider blade design appeals to me. You can't go wrong with any of the launch knives basically.

That's cool. I've just noticed that everybody that recommends that series specifically says the Launch 1.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I can only speak for myself, but my recommendation is 100% the size, shape, and grind of the blade. The Launch 1 has a wider blade with a flat grind that makes it an excellent slicer. It also has a significant "belly" that makes it an even better slicer. In my opinion, it's a better cutting tool than the other two models (and many, many other folders). Given your choice of an auto-opener, reasonable price, good blade steel, and work knife, it's the one I'd pick.

It's no secret that I really like the ESEE 3 as well. Compare the shape and grind of the blade of the ESEE 3 to the Kershaw Launch 1 and you'll see some of the reasons why I like both.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

The Reverse is an excellent fighter, and as Dean said the sheath ain't that bad! (I had mine resheathed). Janice and Douglas put some effort into the design that would work with both there fighting styles!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    The Leek is one of the most purchased knives, ever. There is a reason for that.

Don't forget the OP is asking specifically for an auto knife and not for an AO as well. The leek is not a "bad" knife but the Launch series is definitely a big step up IMHO.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    And why would that be? Last I checked, it has a sharp edge. If he needs a pry bar, he should get a pry bar. I've seen quite a few "wilderness abuse" tests with that knife, and it held up fine. Those "abuse" tests are beyond what I expect from a working knife.

I guess an Ultratech isn't a Busse.....There is that
    laugh.gif

Auto knives, IMHO, are a novelty anyway. If you get a well designed/made one, they work. But if it were me, I'd be looking into something other than an auto knife for an EDC working knife. It's just more crap that can break.

Microtech Ultratech is not a working knife.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    CPM154 and Sandvik 14c28n are both great for an EDC. Depends what you want to do with them. 14c28n got sharper for me and was easier to touch up, and CPM154 held an edge just a bit longer for me. Both are pretty similar from my using them. Both are extremely easy to sharpen, don't hold an edge as long as other super steels but hold it adequately, and both are similarly corrosion resistant.

14c28n just isn't "cool" for some reason... But it is a very good steel for an EDC, and IMHO, it's VERY comparable to CPM154.

Indeed. CPM154 is way ahead of the steel used for the Leek.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    CPM154 and Sandvik 14c28n are both great for an EDC. Depends what you want to do with them. 14c28n got sharper for me and was easier to touch up, and CPM154 held an edge just a bit longer for me. Both are pretty similar from my using them. Both are extremely easy to sharpen, don't hold an edge as long as other super steels but hold it adequately, and both are similarly corrosion resistant.

14c28n just isn't "cool" for some reason... But it is a very good steel for an EDC, and IMHO, it's VERY comparable to CPM154.

Hah! You've educated me. I thought the Leek used one of the Chinese steels. I was wrong!

Top Bottom