or

"i see your mother raised a sissy boy."

discuss.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I was talking to my son about this last night while browsing Jay Fisher's website. His knives are incredible, functional works of art. For that, you pay big $$$. You are also buying confidence that from the day you buy it till the day you die, it will preform it's task as well or better than 99.9% of the knives out there. If you are someone who makes their living using it, the cost spread out over your entire career is not that big of a deal. If you are buying it just to look at it and to say you have one, great, as long as you have the disposable income laying around to pay for it and derive value from just owning it.
    I have passed up some very collectible handguns recently that even though I could afford the price, the value wasn't there for me. I derive no pleasure(value) from staring at a gun that I cannot shoot.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    "how many times a day to you use a gun? how many times a knife?"

Knives are way more valuable and useful than guns. That's not to say I'd rather have one over the other. But I get a lot more uses out of a knife

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Knives are way more valuable and useful than guns. That's not to say I'd rather have one over the other. But I get a lot more uses out of a knife

Each tool has it's purpose. A rifle and knive are very different and it'd be hard to say one is more valuable over the other, however I agree a knife is more useful.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I was talking to my son about this last night while browsing Jay Fisher's website. His knives are incredible, functional works of art. For that, you pay big $$$. You are also buying confidence that from the day you buy it till the day you die, it will preform it's task as well or better than 99.9% of the knives out there. If you are someone who makes their living using it, the cost spread out over your entire career is not that big of a deal. If you are buying it just to look at it and to say you have one, great, as long as you have the disposable income laying around to pay for it and derive value from just owning it.
    I have passed up some very collectible handguns recently that even though I could afford the price, the value wasn't there for me. I derive no pleasure(value) from staring at a gun that I cannot shoot.

this is where I start to disagree with most knife owners. I have no problem paying good money for a well made product. however with Jay's work your paying a lot of money for the artsy aspect of the knife. he isn't using the highest end materials or anything rare to just him. I would prefer to buy a straight forward hard use knife with a no question asked warranty.

Don't get me wrong. He makes some amazing knives and the time and skill that goes into them is incredible but they won't preform any task better than a solid custom or factory knife with good materials. they will always be worth more though.

Knives in life like we live (non shtf ect) are much more useful than guns. you will use your knife daily where as the most action your pistol will get 99% of the time is going in the holster and then out to be put up.

I'm not really into the artsy stuff but there are a lot of people who do it for the investment aspect. Knives rarely loose much value even used if you buy solid product. Just today on the USN a maker sold a auto that he made for a customer who passed away. said customer paid 5,000 dollars for the knife. his family wanted the money quick and listed it for 3,000 dollars and it sold in a couple hours. It would have gone for more if they waited probably. Even if I had that kind of expendable monies I would never had bought it.

Knife values are extremely subjective, but much like everything else in life if you buy quality stuff it will work as intended, hold up well, and keep a solid resale value.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    I guess i don't fully understand the sissy boy statement.
    Even though the blade is soft and has to be sharpened often, I won't go anywhere without my $30 swiss army knife.

mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    Pride of ownership, IMO, is very significant to justify expensive knives, or guns. As I don't own the firearm equivalent of a Sebenza or Strider, I do own MANY Sebenzas and a Strider. Yes, I do use many of my Large Sebenzas. Carry one 90% of the time. Collect the rest.
    High resale value, stellar customer service, manufacturing perfection, sexy looks, unquestionable reliability makes thema steal of a deal to me.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I guess i don't fully understand the sissy boy statement.
    Even though the blade is soft and has to be sharpened often, I won't go anywhere without my $30 swiss army knife.

The sissy boy part has absolutely no bearing. Added strictly for satire and
    Humor purposes. Sorry about that.... My sense of humor is somewhat odd.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Got it;)

Often wondered what it would cost to get someone to make an exact replica of the large blade on a swiss army knife, except with better steel and drawn to a harder temper.
    They are not hard to take apart and reassemble.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I've never held a knife that costs over $100, so I don't necessarily get it. At the same, time I realize there are plenty of people that don't get what I see in a gun and would balk at paying the price I would pay for a particular firearm. To each their own, I guess. Just for sh*ts and giggles I did look at some of Jay Fisher's work. Very nice blend of form and function.

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Funny cause I just had this conversation today. A friend saw me with a customers Jeremy Horton knife and absolutely loved it. He wanted one and asked how much it costs. I told around $250 and he laughed and said that's crazy. I showed him my Horton folder and he couldn't not believe how good it felt in hand and how nice it was. When it told him the price he called me crazy and said "man I could buy a gun for that much money. What makes it worth that much money". I tried to explain to him that a quality knive is worth it weight in gold me. I use them as tools many many times every day and would be lost without one on my hip. The way I abuse my knives makes it necessary to have a quality built, reliable chunk of steel with me at all times. I could buy a cheap one and break it then get another and break it over and over again and most likely have it break on me at the time I most need it or I can just buy something that will last me a lifetime and know that I can count on it to do what I ask of it time and time again without fail. Plus my knife never runs out of bullets.:D

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I guess it's a matter of perspective. $250 isn't that unreasonable to me, and most of the guns I want are considerably more than that amount. Yes, it's pricey but then again I do agree that if it's used frequently then the investment in a higher quality product is worth it. Somehow I get stuck cutting up food whenever my wife cooks, and I can attest to the fact that a cheapo kitchen knife is crap compared with a higher dollar knife.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    For great value on kitchen knives, never overlook garage sales or 2nd hand stores. I bought a shoe box full of knives a while back for $5. It contained a half dozen Old Hickory kitchen knives and an Olsen fillet knife. They were all dull and rusty but I loves me some good old fashioned high carbon blades. People just don't know how to take care of them and replace them with some cheap stainless serrated junk that to them represents value.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Some people will drop $1200 in a rifle, but won't invest more than $75 in a scope (I've seen this first hand several times). So some people have a mental block for dropping $800 or more in an optic.

Some have a mental block for dropping over $700 in a handgun.

Some have a mental block in dropping $1500 in an AR, when they can build (what they beleive is the exact same rifle but different parts) for half that.

Some have trouble dropping the money in a Super Black Eagle II, because they had a 1400 way back in the day that cost $100 and worked all the time (cough, cringe.....)

It's about utility and appreciation. I love guns. I love knives. I appreciate quality products.

But....it is funny when you tell someone that the knife they're holding is worth $1500 or the knife you're throwing, batoning, beating the hell out of is worth over $500 :D

I still love telling people that some Lovelace knives go for $15,000 or more :D

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Across the board: quality equipment cost money. The optics thing is another one! Nice, accurate rifle. Junk $40 scope..... "Ah this rifle sucks!"....... Suuuuuuuure.

Having said that, the point of diminishing returns flies out the window when we start going into collectable status comparison.

I prefer my high use tools to be reliable, quality, and something i can take pride in. And use for years without worry.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Coming from a guy who only owns an ESEE 4...that's never been used in the several months it's been owned...

Value out of a knife is a hard sell for me. I'm just not a user and abuser. I carry DECENT folders every day of my life (sometimes two!), truth of the matter is that I work the majority of the time in an office setting. Cutting zip ties and .25" OD PTFE tubing is the most work that my knives see. That, and cutting tape and clothing tags at home.

That said, I certainly APPRECIATE the workmanship, materials, and yes, artistry that goes into the high dollar stuff.

Also, TO ME, there really is a law of diminishing returns. Once a certain cost plateau is reached, it's my opinion that you don't get "better" for more more money. Is a $1000 knife really twice "as good" as a $500 knife?

If you want to baton a knife completely through a car frame, if you can find a $500 knife that'll do it and hold up... Then what have you gained by using a $1000 knife that'll also do it and hold up?

NOT arguing - just kind of thinking out loud.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I've stood at the Busse booth several times waiting for my mind to agree with my heart to purchase a $600 knife. Every time it's happened, I've walked over to Knifelady and purchased something. I just can't get over the hump knowing I just won't use it much.

I would love to have more fun with my knives, but the knife guys on this forum aren't as nice as the gun guys, so they don't invite people to their little parties. So, I never get the chance to see what their $1,000 knives can do. I wish there was a get-together or something, so I could play with some of them and they could show me the difference between a mid and high end knife. Well, maybe some day. ;)

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_cutting_edge/234037-ingo_chop_in_10_27_12_discussion_thread.html

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    Some people will drop $1200 in a rifle, but won't invest more than $75 in a scope (I've seen this first hand several times). So some people have a mental block for dropping $800 or more in an optic.

Some have a mental block for dropping over $700 in a handgun.

Some have a mental block in dropping $1500 in an AR, when they can build (what they beleive is the exact same rifle but different parts) for half that.

Some have trouble dropping the money in a Super Black Eagle II, because they had a 1400 way back in the day that cost $100 and worked all the time (cough, cringe.....)

It's about utility and appreciation. I love guns. I love knives. I appreciate quality products.

But....it is funny when you tell someone that the knife they're holding is worth $1500 or the knife you're throwing, batoning, beating the hell out of is worth over $500 :D

I still love telling people that some Lovelace knives go for $15,000 or more :D

You and I think a lot alike... recently developed a fancy for fine watches... had this same coversation with my wife, guess how that went? The comment "but a rolex is only middle of the road at best!" didn't go over so well.

You get what you pay for and in rare cases you get a little extra.

If you don't do your homework you often get way less than what you pay for in quality and functionality and way more in marketing, packaging and spokesmen.

I work in the financial industry and folks are just plain weird about their money. Logic goes out the window quick and emotions take over,that's what makes discussions like this so interesting, the logically measurable variables are often ignored in lue of an emotional decision.

Each has to evaluate their own needs and requirements and act accordingly... when I'm browsing the net in the office (I mean on my lunch break) I'm more focussed on watches, suits ties etc and spending good money on them is logical. When I'm in the field or at the range thinking of spending money on anything but "tactical" gear just seems silly.

Go spend 72 hours in the woods with few supplies, no shelter and a cheap knife... your perspective changes.

... oh and I never did get that rolex :(

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I've stood at the Busse booth several times waiting for my mind to agree with my heart to purchase a $600 knife. Every time it's happened, I've walked over to Knifelady and purchased something. I just can't get over the hump knowing I just won't use it much.

I would love to have more fun with my knives, but the knife guys on this forum aren't as nice as the gun guys, so they don't invite people to their little parties. So, I never get the chance to see what their $1,000 knives can do. I wish there was a get-together or something, so I could play with some of them and they could show me the difference between a mid and high end knife. Well, maybe some day. ;)

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-ingo_chop_in_10_27_12_discussion_thread.html

:lmfao:

:popcorn:

Top Bottom