Kosciusko County Bounty Hunter shootout.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Do bounty hunters have qualified immunity when they get it wrong?

Good question. Really good question.

I know how we all feel about our rights. My only comment on this would be that most all of us do not put ourselves in the cross hairs of these people and LEO through wrong doing.
    This individual had a history of idiocy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You do not here much about this.
    Possibly they do better research and verify who is in the house before they storm the castle walls.

I think if they mess up it's on them, so I imagine they might want to get it right. It doesn't sound like they stormed the castle walls first in this case. They didn't stack up at the door, smash the door in, toss the flash-bang, and storm in. I think they knocked on the door first. Or maybe rung the doorbell.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think if they mess up it's on them, so I imagine they might want to get it right. It doesn't sound like they stormed the castle walls first in this case. They didn't stack up at the door, smash the door in, toss the flash-bang, and storm in. I think they knocked on the door first. Or maybe rung the doorbell.

Exactly my point.
    I am no fan of the no knock storm the castle raids. :poop: always goes sideways during these deals. Everyone is high on adrenalin and those being raided respond in kind sometimes.
    Factor in the mis-steps and bad info LEO experiences and these are just not a good idea.
    As to these Bond agents they have a job to do. If you sign the papers honor the commitment and go to court.
    Oh, wait a second, these are mostly bad eggs anyway with no honor/integrity/moral fiber etc.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    If "bounty hunters" approach me and attempt to detain me for a warrant, what gives them the authority to do so?

horn, contract, not the warrant.

You sign a contract with the bondsman promising to show up to your court dates. You do not. The bail agents are bringing you in on breach of contract.

Here's a good starting point: https://litigation-essentials.lexis...cid=3B15&key=b82d4b6a66b69f2f254897871a06ed5c

Horn also look under IC 27-10-2-7.
    IC 27-10-2-7
    Apprehension of defendant; time; fees
    Sec. 7. For the purpose of surrendering the defendant, the surety
    may apprehend the defendant before or after the forfeiture of the
    undertaking or may empower any law enforcement officer to make
    apprehension by providing written authority endorsed on a certified
    copy of the undertaking and paying the lawful fees therefor.

And some more reading.
    http://www.in.gov/idoi/files/Bail_Laws.pdf

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Firstly... I thought Enchanted Hills was in Syracuse. (Isn't that where the Playhouse used to be?)
    Secondly... if bounty hunters are licensed by the state, why do they have a right to go into a home without a warrant if cops licensed by the state don't?
    Thirdly, (note to all bounty hunters) double check your address before you storm a castle... if you're wrong, you might be dead wrong.

Common law per the IN supreme and appellate courts along with IC 27-10-2-7. But it only applies to the persons house not third parties.
    Google Scholar

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Firstly... I thought Enchanted Hills was in Syracuse. (Isn't that where the Playhouse used to be?)
    Secondly... if bounty hunters are licensed by the state, why do they have a right to go into a home without a warrant if cops licensed by the state don't?
    Thirdly, (note to all bounty hunters) double check your address before you storm a castle... if you're wrong, you might be dead wrong.

Enchanted Hills is on the far eastern side of Lake Wawasee actually closer to Cromwell than the town of Syracuse. The postal address for area is Cromwell.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Enchanted Hills is on the far eastern side of Lake Wawasee actually closer to Cromwell than the town of Syracuse. The postal address for area is Cromwell.
    I was wondering if it was two separate places that happened to have the same name. I think all the playbills we've gotten have all said Syracuse, that's why I asked.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I was wondering if it was two separate places that happened to have the same name. I think all the playbills we've gotten have all said Syracuse, that's why I asked.

I haven't heard anything regarding the play house for a long, long time...thought maybe it was shut down.

Wawasee is 9 miles long so enters next postal address. Cromwell is actually a couple miles further east of E. Hills on SR 5 south of US 6. Enchanted Hills is on t he east side of the road that runs along the east shoreline of Wawasee and connected by channel to the lake. Some nice homes and people...and some others. Incidents which cause police interaction are not uncommon.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I haven't heard anything regarding the play house for a long, long time...thought maybe it was shut down.
    Yeah, it's been closed for quite awhile.
    Wawasee is 9 miles long so enters next postal address. Cromwell is actually a couple miles further east of E. Hills on SR 5 south of US 6. Enchanted Hills is on t he east side of the road that runs along the east shoreline of Wawasee and connected by channel to the lake. Some nice homes and people...and some others. Incidents which cause police interaction are not uncommon.
    I'm familiar. I used to live on Wawasee.

Top Bottom