Kroger: Brisket for $1.99/lb until Tuesday midnight.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Oh yeah...... I have been wanting to try my skill on brisket with my Traeger, but I didn't want to practice on a $65 hunk of beef. Now I feel better about it. Thank OP!
    Just remember, if it is tough and dry, it is probably undercooked! All of the tenderness and juiciness in Brisket comes from breaking down fat and connective tissue's via heat+time.

I take mine to around 203° at the center unless sous viding.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It feels like it sometimes. Average dinner meal is for 10-12, tomorrow will be around 50 for a get together.

I also "cater" a decent number of events for friends and family each year since I have a pretty high volume set up and enjoy doing it. As a general rule I like to make very large quantities so there are leftovers that can be vac sealed and tossed in the freezer so that my wife has easy dinners to make on days where things get out of hand.

I will probably go to Mass this evening and do 40 lbs of brisket overnight tonight.

Wow, that's impressive! I do all the cooking here for any family get togethers, but that's usually under 20 people. I wish we had an upright freezer. All I have are the two top freezers in our kitchen and garage fridges, so I can't do a lot of stocking up. I've all but stopped cooking for DoggyMama and me. She eats like a bird and I'm not good at cooking small quantities. I cook with the mindset that everyone will eat like I do. :): DoggyMama is like, "Want to split a piece of bacon?"

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Tried two this morning. Ended up with two rain checks. Meat counter guys said the warehouse was out. Neither store received any in their morning shipments.
    I think that they have the OP via INGO to thank/blame.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Well into the stall at 155 degrees. Time for the crutch.
    3bdbf12c7c62c9f42eaa71663075b875.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Started mine this morning at 4:30 a.m.. I cheated and put it in the oven for 4 hours at 285 with just a little water and liquid smoke in the bottom of the pan (covered in foil). Now I'm giving it 4 hours on the grill (indirect heat with charcoal and hickory). Gonna make some good bbq sammiches for watching the Colts game.

And yes, thank you Spear Dane!! Much good eatin' in our futures thanks to you! :ingo:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The only brisket I've cooked up to this point has been corned beef brisket. DoggyMama has been wanting me to make beef jerky again. Would brisket make good jerky? And no, I'm not going to use the whole brisket for jerky, since that seems like it would be sacrilege. I've been wanting to smoke one for a long time.
    To answer my own question, now that I've seen it, I don't think I'll be using it for jerky. Too much marbling I think. However, for you deer hunters out there, I am taking donations! :D Love me some venison jerky when I can get venison to make it.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    To answer my own question, now that I've seen it, I don't think I'll be using it for jerky. Too much marbling I think. However, for you deer hunters out there, I am taking donations! :D Love me some venison jerky when I can get venison to make it.
    Yeah, you want lean as possible for jerky. Not that jerky last long enough around here, but fat in jerky will go rancid.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Well, I smoked 30 pounds worth last night and I am sad to report that it really isn't very good, and actually tastes like it might be poisoned. As a public service I am volunteering to collect any and all of these unsafe briskets and properly dispose of them. For the common good, of course.

IyKau9.jpg

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I picked up one for myself tonight, but I'm going to get in touch with the meat guy at my local store in the morning to see how much he can get me by Wednesday.

We smoke about 500 lbs. of pork shoulder each year for the summer youth campers, and I wouldn't mind adding brisket to our weekly menu. Although probably not for the elementary-age groups; they'd rather have corn dogs or something.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    How do you cut something like that? Electric knife?
    I use a very sharp chef's knife. Since the point and flat are two different muscle groups running in different directions, you want to separate them before slicing. I just find the fatty section that separates them and you can slice it with a fillet or other knife or just pull it apart by hand depending on how tender it is. Then orient the pieces so that you are slicing directly across the grain and have at it. Depending on how tough the bark is, sometimes it is easier to slice from the now exposed fatty side than from the outside

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom