• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm a little different than your average INGO member when it comes to Kroger. I despise those people, and I'll explain why. Kroger hires my company to provide their stores with a few different services, so I am in multiple locations on a regular basis. Without exception, every manager I encounter is an A-HOLE. They basically act like you're there to steal from them and that your presence is an affront to God himself. After thinking it over today, I had my company's logo on my golf shirt, so I wonder if this lady saw that and thought I was there to work. I'm beginning to wonder if Kroger creates a culture that encourages managers to almost abuse their vendors, or if in fact their customer service just sucks that bad.

Managers work on margins. Every vendor or service tech eats away at those Margins. That is their bonus. I have dealt with A$$ hat managers at all levels in my career. They are not happy to see you and really tip over when they get the bill. Then you become the enemy. Try dealing with a WalMart manager. Complete A$$ Hats.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Managers are probably being pushed to the brink by their upper manager. Long hours, crappy pay, stress filled. If they are paid a salary, you can be they are abused something fierce.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I was at a store which name I shall not mention a couple weeks back, buying one item I needed to cook dinner. Checking out, the bagger with a LARGE herpes sore licked her finger to get the bag apart. I was so repulsed I couldn't even form a sentence, and instead said "uh, Nevermind" and got out of there.

I then went to my car and broke out the alcohol wipes, contemplated the grossness, and went to another sore....er, I mean store.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    A manager's normal day is ten hours. They work 5-6 days a week depending on the season and the staffing.

Also, their days off are rarely on weekends and almost never consecutive.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    A manager's normal day is ten hours. They work 5-6 days a week depending on the season and the staffing.

Also, their days off are rarely on weekends and almost never consecutive.

I'm sorry. If you're a Kroger manager, you accepted the position. Part of your job requires that you deal with vendors on a regular basis. If you feel that is beneath you, get the hell out.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Managers work on margins. Every vendor or service tech eats away at those Margins. That is their bonus. I have dealt with A$$ hat managers at all levels in my career. They are not happy to see you and really tip over when they get the bill. Then you become the enemy. Try dealing with a WalMart manager. Complete A$$ Hats.

I've dealt with Walmart managers too. My experience is that they are more stupid than rude, and as I have stated before, Kroger managers are douche bags of the highest order. I will also say that the Managers at Marsh, at least in the area I cover, seem to be exceptionally nice. I get treated with courtesy when dealing with them. Too bad their stores aren't one the same level as some of their competitors.

rhinoabe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Jennings Co.
    I went to work for Wal-Mart as an assistant manager for 4 years after my factory shut down. Yes a lot are a**hats but not all. I was in my forty's when I started retail. I had respect for every one. We are taught to bend over backwards for customers. Vendors we where told to treat like second class citizens because they will take advantage of you and the store (not my belief ). Four years ago I was making $46,000 plus bonuses of about $5,000. I worked 4 days on 4 off 12 hr. days. Then they started micromanaging, cutting staff and bringing in generation Y 19 year old assistant manager. My body would not let me keep up with physical demands then so I stepped down. I still work for Wal-Mart but not in management and I enjoy my job.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I went to work for Wal-Mart as an assistant manager for 4 years after my factory shut down. Yes a lot are a**hats but not all. I was in my forty's when I started retail. I had respect for every one. We are taught to bend over backwards for customers. Vendors we where told to treat like second class citizens because they will take advantage of you and the store (not my belief ). Four years ago I was making $46,000 plus bonuses of about $5,000. I worked 4 days on 4 off 12 hr. days. Then they started micromanaging, cutting staff and bringing in generation Y 19 year old assistant manager. My body would not let me keep up with physical demands then so I stepped down. I still work for Wal-Mart but not in management and I enjoy my job.

Here's a good story about Walmart. I used to work for Coca-Cola years ago. We had a nice display of product in one of the Walmarts here locally. On a Saturday, one of their booger picking managers didn't think the display was full enough, so they decided to pick up the phone and have me come down to fill it up. When I got there, it was still about 70% full, but being a good little Coke man I spent over an hour filling it up and making it look pretty. Fast forward to Monday morning. I walk in that store and that 4x4 stack-base of product was wrapped in shrink wrap sitting in their back room. I asked what was going on and was informed that about 30 minutes after I left on Saturday the manager decided to pull it.

You had better have some broad shoulders if you're going to work with some of these large store.

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Couple weeks ago, I went into Kroeger, late night, for a quart of milk.
    None in the case. I found a young man stocking up front by the pharmacy.
    He went all the way into the back cooler and got the milk for me.
    Maplecrest Road, Fort Wayne.

Mark

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Couple weeks ago, I went into Kroeger, late night, for a quart of milk.
    None in the case. I found a young man stocking up front by the pharmacy.
    He went all the way into the back cooler and got the milk for me.
    Maplecrest Road, Fort Wayne.

Mark

There are diamonds in the rough. An employee that assisted me at the huge Eastside Btown store recently was from Fort Wayne. He was there to assist with their construction/opening/chaos/whatever. There were employees, management, lookie-lou's every other aisle. This store is noted locally for their uhhhh... less-than-helpful, totally unprofessional appearing staff.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I think customer service pretty much sucks everywhere any more.
    Most younger people have less than stellar communication skills due to computers, etc.
    Store managers get paid their bonus on the net profits of store sales. Any time you are impacting sales in any way you are getting in their pocket. That is why some stores are less than sparkling clean, the cost of cleaning, mowing, and taking care of the detention pond areas and landscaping come right off the profit of the store and cause a drop in year end bonus.

mik1202002

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Feb 12, 2009
    Greencastle
    My wife and I have been shopping at Kroger the last year or so over Walmart. We live in a small town maybe 10-12k people. The lines at Walmart were always terrible and they never cared to open anymore and seemed like we could stand in line for 10-15 minutes easy, no matter the time of night. After we were sick of waiting in line we decided to try Kroger, we typically don't ask where things are in the store. The staff always seems friendly when we are checking out and we usually get checked out in what seems like 2-3 or three minutes due to the fact if there's 3 people in line they open another check out. Plus the baggers help get people in and out of the check out I think.

Plus the wife likes Krogers produce over Wal-mart

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I generally like my local Kroger, but my main gripe is the way they stock. Instead of stocking shelves overnight, they seem to wait until peak hours to stock shelves, so you have carts (not shopping carts - big carts) full of stuff blocking the aisles, or worse yet, the shelves are empty. Now call me crazy, but if your "sale" starts on Thursday, then by god, come Thursday morning, ALL your shelves, but especially your "sale items" should be full to the brim.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I generally like my local Kroger, but my main gripe is the way they stock. Instead of stocking shelves overnight, they seem to wait until peak hours to stock shelves, so you have carts (not shopping carts - big carts) full of stuff blocking the aisles, or worse yet, the shelves are empty. Now call me crazy, but if your "sale" starts on Thursday, then by god, come Thursday morning, ALL your shelves, but especially your "sale items" should be full to the brim.
    Add to that, 2 or 3 years ago, our local store "remodeled", which is a pleasant way of saying "we shoved all the shelves closer together so we could place huge cardboard boxes full of 10 for 10 items, and rearranged the entire store so it would take you a month to figure out where the hell everything is". Now the aisles are so narrow that if you don't parallel park your cart dead up against the shelves, nobody can get through. I get wanting to have more space for items, but if you can't get to said item, it's a ****ty plan.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Having worked for many retail stores through high school and college, I can say that it's not the company as much as it is the location and employees. You'll find great and horrible employees at any store. It just depends which ones you happened to run into. The Kroger by my dad is just plain scary. Police presence by the exits at all times. The Kroger I frequent is quite nice and the employees I run across have been pleasant. I don't tend to bother them too much, as it's not a large store and I know how to navigate it. I like what the company stands for, and I know that if I run into a rude employee, that it doesn't reflect the company as a whole. Nor does not frequenting that store hurt that individual employee in any way.

Top Bottom