• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thephasdin4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    Terre Haute
    Same here; I still have and use Serpa Qcb I don't understand why its so hard to keep your finger off the trigger. I also have a Galco Iwb kydex shell with leather its ok. And I have owb Galco Cop series for my Sr9C; 92G and my 1911. The Cop series are excellent holsters. And I also have a Milt Sparks IWB which I had to force myself to spend that kind of money on it but for IWB they cant be beat. They are so good I am going to order another one for my 92G!

I don't think you will find a single best holster but once you find it you will know it.

Serpa QCB holsters are what I ended up with after trying out many different things. They aren't the fanciest by any means but it's what works for me

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Neither! Leather is too soft and Kydex too hard. The perfect balance is horsehide. A Kramer OWB Scabbard in horsehide is as stiff as Kydex, yet as soft inside as leather. It does not soften when soaked in water and has excellent retention. They can be spendy, but not terribly so at $126. They also take about 6 weeks for delivery, but it's worth the wait.

attachment.php

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Combo for me. I have both crossbreed and galco leather against body and Kydex to outside. Both are IWB. I do love a good leather holster but have not just found one I love and feel will hold up overtime.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Neither! Leather is too soft and Kydex too hard.

Leather isn't all the same, nor are all designs equal. I've messed with horsehide, and I can say my Red Nichols holsters are just as rigid. The belt slots are better designed, as well. Unfortunately, Red has discontinued his lineup of kangaroo lined leather. They are functional works of art.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It has been a while since I’ve looked at a leather holster. I prefer kydex because most leather makers take a very long time to produce heir products. Those that are ready to ship, only come for Glock and maybe a standard full-size or commander 1911.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It has been a while since I’ve looked at a leather holster. I prefer kydex because most leather makers take a very long time to produce heir products. Those that are ready to ship, only come for Glock and maybe a standard full-size or commander 1911.

If you don't need a custom leather holster, both Galco and DeSantis make nice leather holsters that fit a variety of guns. My Galco Combat Master is the most comfortable holster I have and the DeSantis Speed Scabbard was a close second. I carried a full size 1911 in the Galco and a full size Sig P226 Legion in the DeSantis.

I use both types of holsters but have found leather holsters to be much more comfortable than kydex.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Advantages of a quality thermoplastic (Kydex or Boltaron) - Don't hold dirt/grit/gunk that can mar a gun's finish. Can wash them out with a hose. Can be extremely modular. Often less expensive than leather.

Advantages of leather - more aesthetically pleasing to look at. Probably more comfortable IWB.

Disadvantages of thermoplastic - can, will, and do break/crack if rolled around on (but buying from a reputable maker will also generally come with a replacement guarantee (Like Raven). If left in direct sunlight in a vehicle, they can deform. May not be as aesthetically pleasing. May be "louder" upon the draw & reholster than leather...if that matters.

Disadvantages of leather - can retain moisture. Moisture is bad on firearms. Grit/dirt/etc, if introduced, will stay in the holster and act as an abrasive against your firearm. If they get moist (heh) they may bleed color onto your clothes. Tend to not be nearly as modular as thermoplastic.

Not exhaustive lists, obviously.

Different strokes for different folks.

But what ever you buy/use - buy quality. That doesn't necessarily mean expensive, either.

Super Trucker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2015
    In front of you
    As somebody that sweats quite a bit, I no longer buy leather holsters. I had a gun rust very badly because the leather held the moisture from the sweat. I am kydex only for belt holsters now.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    No positive retention, pain in the arse to keep clean, doesn't play well with water and it adds a lot of unnecessary thickness to the gun. I haven't used a leather holster in a long time.

Top Bottom