• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Neither! Leather is too soft and Kydex too hard. The perfect balance is horsehide. A Kramer OWB Scabbard in horsehide is as stiff as Kydex, yet as soft inside as leather. It does not soften when soaked in water and has excellent retention. They can be spendy, but not terribly so at $126. They also take about 6 weeks for delivery, but it's worth the wait.

+1, Kramer holsters are excellent, they were what I stocked at the shop I worked at. The horsehide is tough and thin and keeps it's shape well. With leather (and most things in life) you have to buy quality like Kramer, Sparks, Alessi, Rosen etc, their holsters keep their shape and have excellent molding. The mass produced holsters from companies like Galco and DeSantis etc, look good and come in attractive packaging with a lot of marketing dollars behind them but they don't hold up as well. I saw a lot of Galco holsters that weren't reinforced at the mouth start to curl inward or just get soft overall, they don't have the rigidity of the higher quality brands which can be a safety issue.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I HATE most everything plastic! Just me, worked with all types of plastic molding for many years as an Engineer (Nylons, Delrin Noryl, Pet, Lexan, etc.).

I have many firearms ~ none with working parts made of plastic. Nor do I have any holsters of plastic. I currently carry a Kimber Solo in a Galco ITB holster. good retention, very comfortable, easy draw. I have used fabric ITB and shoulder holsters without any issues except wearing them out. I maintain my firearms and have never had any corrosion / rust issues. I see no need, nor have any desire to change.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I have both, all OWB. Leather is nostalgia, Kydex is the future. So to speak. I am not prejudiced against or for either one. They both do the job.

watch guy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2016
    SE Michigan
    I am not into Kydex holsters except to use them in IDPA. All my EDC holsters are leather. A couplr of generic ones and a couple from Kirkpatrick. Having a local leather smith making a vertical shoulder holster for my Sig 1911 Ultra. I do have a N82 tactical for my HK P30SK that is polycarbonate and not Kydex so it won't mare the finish. Backing is leather.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Leather all the way. I prefer The great American jack ass company or better known to the kids as Galco. Kydex ok for competition but not for street. Too noisy, unstable and not secure for physical activity. Sides that if you get really hungry you can eat it.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Quality leather is my choice. Favorite brand is MTR Custom Leather. They have a massive list of guns for which they can accommodate and use both horsehide and cowhide, depending on the use. Of course fancy trim like shark, ostrich, elephant and such is available as are choice of leather color, stitching color, double stitching, open/closed muzzle end, etc. These are custom made to order at prices comparable to Sparks, Kirkpatrick and such. I tried a big name Kydex IWB holster for my Kahr. Didn't care for it. Replaced it with MTR and found it took up 1 less belt notch of space and was more comfortable. Their IWB/tuckable for the CZ 97B makes the heavy gun disappear. Just ordered a scabbard style for a Ruger Blackhawk during their New Year sale.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Kydex ok for competition but not for street. Too noisy, unstable and not secure for physical activity.

There are Kydex holsters geared toward competition, but there's plenty of viable options for daily carry. I've got some that you can hang from the monkey bars and your pistol isn't going anywhere. You can even get active retention, with Safariland being one of the more popular quality options.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I prefer a Kydex. I've used a galco but never got used to it; just never broke in. The holster I use now is kydex and really only covers the trigger guard. Works for me. Got it at the 1500 last year actually.
    The only downside is to re holster I'd have to take out the rig. But it's small enough that I don't mind much.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    This sums up IDPA beautifully.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't understand "shooting competitively" where you use different gear than what you would EDC. You're training over and over with something you're not going to carry, which to my mind could be problematic in the long run... :dunno:

Bsgrumpy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 17, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I only use leather holsters from 1791.
    Great look, fantastic fit and they are extremely close to the body. Plus leather doesn't wear on a gun as easy.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I only use leather holsters from 1791.
    Great look, fantastic fit and they are extremely close to the body. Plus leather doesn't wear on a gun as easy.

One, damn that’s an old holster. :)

Two, neither leather nor kydex will “wear on a gun”... it’s the dirt and grit that does that. That dirt and grit gets embedded in the leather permanently. Kydex, you can just rinse it out.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom