• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    My wife is my range partner most of the time. She started out with a wheel gun. She felt intimidated by my semis and I did not push her to shoot them. She thought there were too many moving parts and felt she was not strong enough to rack the slide. A few yrs ago I purchased a Browning hi power and took it out on one of our range visits.

Long story short and after a lesson on how to rack, grip, etc. she took her first shot. She was hooked. She now owns a few 9mms(including MY browning). All of hers are semi autos. Now, when she got hooked, she took more than one with her to the range which left me cleaning time after the range. Enough of that, I thought and told her if you shoot it, you clean it. That includes field stripping, cleaning, lubing and reassembly. She does a good job.

My question to the ladies is this-do you fieldstrip, clean&lube&reassemble what you shoot at the range
    Everytime
    Most of the time
    Some of the time
    Never
    I am just curious as to the answers

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Some. Because we take several and clean together that night. If I get done with one, I move on to the next one. Same with him. We don't just clean "our" firearms. Whoever gets the AR usually cleans fewer guns that night since one AR takes as long as 2-3 bolt guns. He usually cleans the 1911s because I have super good luck at losing flying pieces.

EDIT: I guess that should be an every time, with a rare exception based on scheduling conflict (he cleans when I'm not available to do so).

Last edited:

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Rarely. Usually he cleans guns when we get back, while I cook supper. My husband's job (when he's not laid off) is usually pretty physically demanding, so the bulk of the housework, cooking, paying bills, etc., falls on me, and he helps out when he can. I do have a hard time cleaning 1911s!

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Not a lady but answering for mine... She enjoys her range time, fires off a couple hundred rounds, then looks at me with disappointment that we don't have more ammo. After we get home, I commandeer the kitchen table and proceed to cleaning. I don't mind it as it's a nice, relaxing way to wind down a good day at the range.

So no, my wife NEVER strips and cleans the guns she shoots at the range.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My wife is really spoiled. I clean all the guns (Usually at least two for her) when we get home. I keep her 2014 Street Glide looking good for her too.

There are always socks and underwear in my drawer when I need them so I consider it a good trade off. She does help me sometimes and doesn't mind getting dirty but I consider her help as a bonus instead of a demand.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    My wife likes to clean at least her guns so she maintains familiarity with them. She will dive in to help with some of the others but we don't usually take very many during any one range trip so cleaning doesn't take very long to begin with.

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    My wife is unaware that guns need to be cleaned (despite seeing me do it) in much the same way that I'm unaware that the floors/carpets need to be mopped/vacuumed (despite seeing her do it).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My wife is unaware that guns need to be cleaned (despite seeing me do it) in much the same way that I'm unaware that the floors/carpets need to be mopped/vacuumed (despite seeing her do it).

THIS!

My wife prefers I clean them, but I do force her to clean along with me every couple times so she can do it herself if I am ever not around. I dont mind doing it as said above its nice and relaxing, but she should know how to. Just like I should know how to clean a floor.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    After 34 years together the memsahib and I have defined areas of cleaning responsibility, guns and cars are in mine.:)

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    My firearms are striped and cleaned after being at the range shooting or hunting. Even if it was just a few round fired through my firearms I clean them.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I too am posting for my wife, she has never cleaned a gun that is what I am here for.

LOL...THIS!!! I'm sure she is like all of us ladies, we're just too tired to clean guns after finishing dinner, and laundry, running the vacuum, cleaning the house, and taking care of the kids...
    Personally, the excuse of being a burn hazard and sharps risk seems to be working for me right now. This is confirmed when the guy doing the fingerprinting for the LTCH asks you if that's a burn scar on your finger...:whistle:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    warsaw
    I clean mine most times we come back from the range. Last time i didnt, i didnt even put 50 rounds through it, and plan on going back to the range very soon. Sometimes i make trades with my husband, (he cleans my guns, i take out the trash and make the 11:50 run back to the video store so our movie isnt late,) but we didnt do that until i was familiar with disassembling my own firearms. I want to know how everything fits together when my hubby isnt around to help.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Mrs. VERT has never cleaned a gun. She also has access to as much ammo as she wants and the combination to the safe. The local gun shop knows her on a first name basis and will accept her personal check without question.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My husband has always cleaned our guns, but I am learning. I want to know how to do it so I can take care of mine properly.

As others have said though...he usually cleans them while I am fixing dinner after we come in. I guess I need to use the crock pot more on shooting days!

Top Bottom