• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    What kind of gun are you thinking about ankle carrying? Kind of curious what others think is the right size of gun to ankle carry.
    For a while I carried a Walther PPK/s in an ankle holster so I wouldn't have to put my tool belt on over it (or worse my 1911). Even with "boot-cut" jeans it looked like I was suffering from gout. The only way I could get to it with any speed was to wear loose painter pants, crouch, hold the pant leg with both hands, and then slide the pant leg up/over the holster. If I'd had to get to it in a sudden attack, I probably would have ended up with the assailant's knee in my sinus', and it would have gotten worse from there.
    IMO ankle holsters are for detectives who want to carry a 3rd gun to give to their partner who ran out of ammo:rolleyes:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    For a while I carried a Walther PPK/s in an ankle holster so I wouldn't have to put my tool belt on over it (or worse my 1911). Even with "boot-cut" jeans it looked like I was suffering from gout. The only way I could get to it with any speed was to wear loose painter pants, crouch, hold the pant leg with both hands, and then slide the pant leg up/over the holster. If I'd had to get to it in a sudden attack, I probably would have ended up with the assailant's knee in my sinus', and it would have gotten worse from there.
    IMO ankle holsters are for detectives who want to carry a 3rd gun to give to their partner who ran out of ammo:rolleyes:

Good to know. Thanks for sharing your experience.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I carry my gun in a cheap Uncle Mike's holster inside a cheap clutch which I put in the purse.

2012-09-26_17-11-38_523.jpg
    Wow, that seems like a lot of diggin' & doin' just to get to it... :dunno:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Wow, that seems like a lot of diggin' & doin' just to get to it... :dunno:

We get it. You don't condone purse carry. ;)

She's made her choice. It works for her. It should be enough that she's carrying, even if it isn't in a manner that you, or I, or anybody else on this earth happens to approve.

:ingo: :cool:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    We get it. You don't condone purse carry. ;)

She's made her choice. It works for her. It should be enough that she's carrying, even if it isn't in a manner that you, or I, or anybody else on this earth happens to approve.

:ingo: :cool:

Nope. Wasn't a jab at "purse carry". More like a "holy crap, how do you get to it if SHTF?"
    It's a legitimate question. Purse or no purse, in your worst moment of panic a carry should be accessible fairly quickly.

So there. :p

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Just want to say I'm proud of my wife. She's heading out to Michigan to fish with her son. He takes her there every year as a thing for them to do together. She'll be packing her Charter Arms .38 special on her in a retention holster. She's really come a long way from being iffy about firearms in general to having her own handgun.
    Also, age does not matter, either. She's 74 and a darn good shot!
    I had to laugh as I have yet to OC and she'll beat me to it!!

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Nope. Wasn't a jab at "purse carry". More like a "holy crap, how do you get to it if SHTF?"
    It's a legitimate question. Purse or no purse, in your worst moment of panic a carry should be accessible fairly quickly.

So there. :p

Actually I can probably pull my gun out of my purse quicker than some people can pull theirs out of tight pants. It's just a matter of unzipping my purse and either just pulling on the top of the clutch to unsnap it to pull the gun out or pulling the entire clutch out and unsnapping it. The holster is just a cheap fabric holster used to reduce purse wear on the gun. It is not a retention holster so it is not a real time consideration.

Since the purse has a metal zipper, unzipping it is not a major issue. The weight of the gun makes it easy to unsnap the clutch just by pulling on the top of it. Since the gun is in the clutch there is no searching for it.

The intent of my earlier pics was just to show how I make purse carry work for me without using a specialty purse since others asked about purse carry. No it's not an ideal set up and I don't always carry this way, but by using it as an option I carry every time I leave my house. That's what really matters.

The snap is very simple. The gun fits in the clutch loosly and is easy to remove.

2012-09-27_16-31-19_200.jpg

It's actually a very simple and easy to use set up.
    2012-09-27_16-33-09_680.jpg

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Can guys jump into this thread too? On the topic of ankle carry, I did that almost exclusively while still working. My brother and I had our own business so I had no "permission" problems but just wanted to keep it out of sight.

I started carrying an SP101 but got tired of the bulge of the speed loader in my pocket and the realization that I only had 10 rounds total on me. When I got my G19 I tried it in the ankle holster for funnies and was surprised at how well it fit and rode. I just had to wear boot cut jeans/slacks, one length larger to keep the piece from showing while seated and 6" lace up boots. It was a little uncomfortable at first but I soon found a Galco Ankle Glove. They're made for particular models and consist of a thin leather holster with thumb break stitched to the velcro band. I can't even feel the outline of the gun like I could with cheap expanded velcro pouches. And the bottom of the holster rides on top of the boot with the gun barrel hanging down just a little below that. With that set up you do truly forget it is there.

Be advised that you can't wear just any kind of slacks and shoes. But consider what is more important. Do you pick your weapon first then dress around it or decide what clothes you like then try to find a gun to fit? Remember, when the SHTF some night in a dark parking lot and you have to access your firearm you will, at that moment, be very comfortable with the gun/caliber/holster you've chosen or very, very unhappy because of the choices you've made.

(One more thing: I've even carried my G30 (.45 auto) in the Galco and it fits perfectly. It's anything but light with 10 + 1 rounds of 230gr but I don't feel it.)

Last edited:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Can guys jump into this thread too? On the topic of ankle carry, I did that almost exclusively while still working. My brother and I had our own business so I had no "permission" problems but just wanted to keep it out of sight.

I started carrying an SP101 but got tired of the bulge of the speed loader in my pocket and the realization that I only had 10 rounds total on me. When I got my G19 I tried it in the ankle holster for funnies and was surprised at how well it fit and rode. I just had to wear boot cut jeans/slacks, one length larger to keep the piece from showing while seated and 6" lace up boots. It was a little uncomfortable at first but I soon found a Galco Ankle Glove. They're made for particular models and consist of a thin leather holster with thumb break stitched to the velcro band. I can't even feel the outline of the gun like I could with cheap expanded velcro pouches. And the bottom of the holster rides on top of the boot with the gun barrel hanging down just a little below that. With that set up you do truly forget it is there.

Be advised that you can't wear just any kind of slacks and shoes. But consider what is more important. Do you pick your weapon first then dress around it or decide what clothes you like then try to find a gun to fit? Remember, when the SHTF some night in a dark parking lot and you have to access your firearm you will, at that moment, be very comfortable with the gun/caliber/holster you've chosen or very, very unhappy because of the choices you've made.

(One more thing: I've even carried my G30 (.45 auto) in the Galco and it fits perfectly. It's anything but light with 10 + 1 rounds of 230gr but I don't feel it.)

I'm curious to see some pictures of your setup

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    Ankleglove.jpg

I like the idea of the calf strap and the little sheepskin padding you can put between the holster and your ankle. I wonder if this method would allow you to wear different kinds of shoes other than a boot. Not that I am opposed to boots. But we can't all be as manly as you, MrO ;)

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Ankleglove.jpg

I like the idea of the calf strap and the little sheepskin padding you can put between the holster and your ankle. I wonder if this method would allow you to wear different kinds of shoes other than a boot. Not that I am opposed to boots. But we can't all be as manly as you, MrO ;)
    I had one with the calf strap but I don't remember why I didn't like it; could be the feeling of restriction when I had to draw it tight enough to hold the holster up. I always wear socks long enough so the Ankle Glove doesn't directly touch my skin.

Being extremely manly does have its burdens. I get so tired of women screaming and fainting when I walk down the street. Sigh. But I have to confess; I'm not as handsome as the avatar pic.:(

PriestBAL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    I keep one in the car (Keltec 380) and if I know I am going to a bad area in carry my Glock 26 on my belt holster...sweatshirt or jacket covers it. Open carry....then people know not to screw with me :-D She cannot carry on school grounds though so she really needs something small, but that will do some damage and not just **** someone off. My Keltec 380 is smaller and that might be a good size for her. It has a belt clip on it so she could hide it in her pants, but the down fall is no safety. When my boyfriend carries it in places that don't allow you to carry and he doesn't have his usual Glock 17 on his side then he puts my 380 in his pocket and it just looks like he has a pocket knife attached to his pants. Sorry this may or may not be helpful. Good luck and stay safe and prepared!

marinemom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Columbus
    This looks really interesting, but I'm having a hard time believing that it conceals as well as the websites pics show. :D/QUOTE]

I use the flashbang with my S&W j frame. I works well for me. I like underwire and it seems to hold it in place best. The only thing is you have to make sure it is snapped correctly becaue it can come undone if it is not. There is a proper way to snap it. I have extra on top so no problems hiding it;) It fits against your skin so the weight of the piece is not an issue for me. next to open carry this is my preferred way to carry now. No fumbling around with my purse and I always know where my piece is! I carry in my home and out and about.

Top Bottom