• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    My wife and I have discussed firearms when we first met and she thought they were "the devil". We have now been married for a couple of years and she has come around.

She has been to the range and likes shooting. When I leave to work the midnight shift, she has "her gun" that stays on top of the safe. She has the basic understanding of firearms and firearms safety down.

I am an LEO and she is a Loss Prevention Manager. We both deal with our fair share of shady people and we have two little girls. She understands and feels the need to protect our family when I am not around.

However, she does not have an LCTH and says that she doesn't want to carry because she does not know how she would. Of course, being a man, I suggested a holster. She immediately thought of my Bianchi Carrylok belt holster and said, "NO!". After further discussing the matter, she would love to carry but, does not want to carry in an IWB or OWB holster, aside from pocket and ankle guns, (which she is not comfortable with), I am out of ideas.

Can any of you ladies, please throw us some suggestions on creative ways you carry?

Thanks.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I'm not a woman, but galco has pocketbook holsters, purse holsters, clutch things, etc.

Alternately, there's belly band style things (thunderwear?), depending on clothing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Kick,
    Tell her to get her lifetime LTCH. She might as well have it WHEN she decides how and when she will carry her firearm.
    How to carry has been discussed many times in this section. IMO, it is my preference to carry mine in a Desantis holster. In the cooler months, I wear layers and it is easy to conceal. I do not carry in my purse, because that is the first thing a thief will grab. Grab my purse, BG has my gun. In the summer, I carry a Ruger LCP.
    I experimented with a lot of different ways to carry before I finally decided what was best for me. I wish you and her the best in finding her best method of carry. :)

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Kick,
    Tell her to get her lifetime LTCH. She might as well have it WHEN she decides how and when she will carry her firearm.
    How to carry has been discussed many times in this section. IMO, it is my preference to carry mine in a Desantis holster. In the cooler months, I wear layers and it is easy to conceal. I do not carry in my purse, because that is the first thing a thief will grab. Grab my purse, BG has my gun. In the summer, I carry a Ruger LCP.
    I experimented with a lot of different ways to carry before I finally decided what was best for me. I wish you and her the best in finding her best method of carry. :)

Thanks, one day when the Grandparents have the kids, we are going to get the process started for her and I. I let my permit expire and have not renewed it, simply because I do not need one. However, for the purpose of keeping the LCTH #'s up, making it something that my wife and I can do together, and in case my status changes, I don't think it could possibly hurt to get one.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I do not carry in my purse, because that is the first thing a thief will grab.

I have carried a purse for over 20 years now and have NEVER had my purse stolen. Not even an attempt on it.

If someone tries it tomorrow, I'm blaming INGO. :D

In all seriousness, the arguments against purse carry hold about as much statistical validity as the argument against the OC individual being targeted first because he has the gun. Yes, if your purse is stolen, so is your firearm. So don't let your purse get stolen. Purse thieves target easy victims. So don't be one. Victims of purse snatching are almost always targets of opportunity, not premeditated, cased, and followed victims. So don't be one. If one's purse is stolen, chances are one failed to keep it secure. Thieves ripping it off the shoulder and making a mad dash for it only happen on TV and NYC muggings....for TV.

Stepping down off the soapbox now...

kick, it sounds like your wife would be a perfect candidate for the less mainstream carry options. I personally like OWB (and abhor IWB) holsters, so I can't help much with personal experience. I think JetGirl wears one of the bellyband-ish thingamamobs. Hopefully, she'll pipe up if she sees this thread.

What is her daily schedule like? That will likely limit her choices. Her choice on where to carry will be limited on how well she can keep the carry device secured.

What would she carry? That might be a better place from which to start since it does no good to find a comfortable holster option and then find out the only firearm options are rejected for one reason or another.

You might consider having her try an IWB or OWB holster just around the house. She might find it's not as distasteful as she originally thought it would be.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    ...........What is her daily schedule like? That will likely limit her choices. Her choice on where to carry will be limited on how well she can keep the carry device secured.

What would she carry? That might be a better place from which to start since it does no good to find a comfortable holster option and then find out the only firearm options are rejected for one reason or another.

You might consider having her try an IWB or OWB holster just around the house. She might find it's not as distasteful as she originally thought it would be.

Thanks, she usually works from 9a-6p or from 1p-10p. (At a large department store in a mall). Other than that, picking up after me and the kids :D. When she goes out with her friends she is usually in Chicago and carrying is not an option.

She will more than likely carry a Smith and Wesson J-Frame or a Ruger LCR.

Although, she is proficient with basic shooting and reloading a semi-auto, we both agree that she would be lost if a semi-auto were to malfunction.

We both feel that she would be better off with a revolver until we could practice some malfunction drills at the range.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I have carried a purse for over 20 years now and have NEVER had my purse stolen. Not even an attempt on it.
    You are fortunate to never have had that happen, but I did have a purse snatcher attempt to take my purse twice. That is why I said IMO I carry in my holster. I hope and pray you never experience it.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Or like an IMPD friend say's......... have a badge and don't worry about it in Chicago haha. He is allways armed when he goes up that way haha.

I wish my wife could be. I work in Cook County and would have to seriously debate on going out there if I was not armed! :D

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    You are fortunate to never have had that happen, but I did have a purse snatcher attempt to take my purse twice. That is why I said IMO I carry in my holster. I hope and pray you never experience it.

Fortunate, yes, in part. But I also believe I present an unwelcome and too-much-work target.

I do understand the choice to eliminate that risk by not carrying in the purse. But frankly, I think the risk is overstated and just as easily minimized by actions taken on the part of the purse-carrier.

I just really dislike the idea of discouraging purse carry based solely on that reason. There are other more legitimate reasons not to purse carry, like if the individual has to be separated from the purse for extended periods of time. Or if during short periods of separation, the purse cannot be secured. But the actual risk of having it stolen or not being able to get to the firearm in time are well below what people make them out to be IMO if the individual takes the proper precautions and actions.

And as always, situational awareness makes up for a LOT the disadvantages regardless of the method of carry.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    And as always, situational awareness makes up for a LOT the disadvantages regardless of the method of carry.

:yesway:+1

I never really thought of purse carry as a viable option for my wife but, after reading some of your points, it sounds like it may be the way for her to go...

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Thanks, she usually works from 9a-6p or from 1p-10p. (At a large department store in a mall). Other than that, picking up after me and the kids :D. When she goes out with her friends she is usually in Chicago and carrying is not an option.
    If it were me, I'd just quit going to ****cago if it meant I couldn't carry. But I realize I'm not the typical female in that sense. P.S. I hate to shop too. :D

What's the legality of knives in Chicago? When I absolutely can't carry a firearm and weapons are completely prohibited, I always carry my knife with me. I'm just bummed the K-bar doesn't fit in the purse. :laugh:

She will more than likely carry a Smith and Wesson J-Frame or a Ruger LCR.
    Well, both of those are really good options for purse carry, side discussion of said method notwithstanding. ;) If she has a way of keeping the purse secured when it's not in her possession, I think that's probably a great way for her to start carrying. When she becomes comfortable with it, she may open up more to other options. I've never had luck concealing my .38 on the body in a manner that was comfortable if the dress code was anything more formal than jeans and a t-shirt kind of thing either. And ladies' fashions are just plain awful for supporting the weight of firearms anyway. :noway:

I've carried the .38 in the purse for the last 10 years, so if she has any questions about it, have her PM or email me (I'll PM you the email addy if she wants it).

I hope she becomes more comfortable with it.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Getting her LTCH is smart, even if she never planned to carry. If something happens to *you*, you want her to be able to transport your firearm legally.

If one's purse is stolen, chances are one failed to keep it secure.
    The first time, I was mugged outside the Sears Tower. It was secure...but you can bet I relinquished it.
    The second time, a lock was cut off of the locker I rented at a gym. It was secure then, too.
    Sometimes **** happens.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    What's the legality of knives in Chicago? When I absolutely can't carry a firearm and weapons are completely prohibited, I always carry my knife with me. I'm just bummed the K-bar doesn't fit in the purse. :laugh:

I know that the only state laws on the books are against "spring loaded" knives. As far as length and the rest goes, there is really nothing on the books. I have heard of some towns/cities having local ordinances against them but, they are seldom (if ever) enforced

(720 ILCS 5/24-1)
    Sec. 24-1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.
    (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
    (1) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or carries any bludgeon, black-jack, slung-shot, sand-club,
    sand-bag, metal knuckles, throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade knife,
    which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device
    in the handle of the knife, or a ballistic knife, which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile
    by means of a coil spring, elastic material or compressed gas; or
    (2) Carries or possesses with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a dagger, dirk, billy, dangerous
    knife, razor, stiletto, broken bottle or other piece of glass, stun gun or taser or any other dangerous
    or deadly weapon or instrument of like character; or

I've carried the .38 in the purse for the last 10 years, so if she has any questions about it, have her PM or email me (I'll PM you the email addy if she wants it).

I hope she becomes more comfortable with it.

Good to know, I'll pass this on to her / let her read it when she gets home!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The first time, I was mugged outside the Sears Tower. It was secure...but you can bet I relinquished it.
    The second time, a lock was cut off of the locker I rented at a gym. It was secure then, too.
    Sometimes **** happens.

Crikey. Is this going to turn into a "you're so wrong because it happened to me" thread?

I don't want to make this a pissing match over how to carry a farking gun. If you're not personally willing to take the risk, fine. But I think in the interest of full disclosure, you should be sure to share that your opinion is based on your personal experiences and not statistical evidence.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I haven't been comfortable with carrying on my person either. I always carry in my purse or in my vehicle. I know that doens't help with your wife getting from a store to her car late at night, but I have found I feel secure knowing my gun is within easy reach when driving, not on the floor board where I would have to fumble through my purse to find it. If I do want to take it with me I slide it in my purse and when I get back into my vehicle I place in the console where it's secure but within reach.

About the LTCH issue. It would be a good idea, because sometimes when my daughter would borrow my car and I would forget to take my gun out. I asked her to get her LTCH so if she ever got stopped she would be legal, even if she had no idea the gun was in the car with her. At least she would have it if she ever wanted it.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Crikey. Is this going to turn into a "you're so wrong because it happened to me" thread?

I don't want to make this a pissing match over how to carry a farking gun. If you're not personally willing to take the risk, fine. But I think in the interest of full disclosure, you should be sure to share that your opinion is based on your personal experiences and not statistical evidence.

Dubya Tee Eff, lady!! Simmer down!

I never alluded to any evidential "statistics" and I'm not inciting a "pissing match". MY comment was speaking solely to your "if it got stolen, chances are one failed to keep it secure" remark. As in "sometimes **** just happens"!

Way to over-reach, there! Now take a damn chill pill.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I wish my wife could be. I work in Cook County and would have to seriously debate on going out there if I was not armed! :D

I told him of places I have heard about in that city that if you call the cops they will not come and you will have to take care of buisness yourself...... he agreed and I just laughed.:laugh:

One of them being the public housing they just shut down, another a street on the south side.

P.S. My wife has been somewhat interested in the purses mentioned that have a spot for a pistol.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I have learned from my wife that purse carry is sometimes the only viable option. She has made this very statement, and we tried to look at the best techniques for purse carry, and not getting separated from the purse. :yesway:

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I also use the belly ban wrap thing. It is very comfy and also gives good back support depending on how high or low you wear it. It holds my 38 perfectly for me anyway. But there are also many times I carry my revolver in my purse. 90% of the time I carry in my purse. I have thought many times that if my purse gets stolen then the bad guy would have my gun also. The main thing is to get her used to carrying and to get the LTCH. Once you accomplish that then she can look further into more ways to carry.

Top Bottom