Lady comes to defense of police officer shooting assailant, now getting sued.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    A dismissal without prejudice, which has the hallmarks of a voluntary dismissal, rather than a settlement...but that's just mildly educated speculation. Guy would obviously know what led to this.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    now she needs to sue the lawyer representing "dirtbag methhead's" family to recover guy's lawyer fees!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I'm always curious in cases like this...

Did the dirt floor, white trash, hillbilly family members of the dead POS come up with this idea on their own?

Or did the slimey, bottom feeding, ambulance chaser whisper in their ears, I think you have a case here.

And when a case like this suddenly concludes, is it because the higher ups in the law firm have just decided that they're never gonna make any $$$ off this, and bail out?

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    And when a case like this suddenly concludes, is it because the higher ups in the law firm have just decided that they're never gonna make any $$$ off this, and bail out?

Sounds like they only bailed out on suing her? I know that sometimes lawyers like to toss a wide net, but this completely blew-up in their face. I didn't even hear about the lawsuit until I read about the bill and her testifying. The amount of money raised would likely mean a jury trial and most lawyers, I believe, want quick settlements. Then you add into the mix how these cases are all on-line now, and how quick this news travels. I do believe there is a need for civil attorneys and lawsuits, but some of these filings are ridiculous in my opinion. The more outrage people start becoming, the more likely states are to change their laws. Something like plantiff's attorney has to put up a $50K bond if the filing is found to be frivolous and defendants are awarded money for their legal fees and trouble. If they didn't dismiss against the state, maybe they are hoping for a quick settlement?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    From the gofundme site for Kystie Jaehnen:

Those that are following my updates I have received word that the lawsuit has been dropped and there is no chance of refiling. Per Kystie’s request the remaining funds will be held by the Laughery valley FOP Lodge 146 benevolent fund as well as a donation to St Jude’s Children’s Hospital. I will be shutting down the account tomorrow. I want to thank everyone for their support of the police and Kystie. Also check out House Bill 1284 in Indiana and if you don’t have this provision in your state I would suggest you copy it and give to your representative. God Bless

https://www.gofundme.com/kystie039s...m_campaign=p_email+1137-update-supporters-v5b

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Excellent...and deserved outcome. Just sorry she even had to go through this process, that is time and stress she will never get back. The 'lawyer' who brought this case should be flogged.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Excellent...and deserved outcome. Just sorry she even had to go through this process, that is time and stress she will never get back. The 'lawyer' who brought this case should be flogged.

Repeatedly. They smell money.

Now, God forbid if she is ever thrust into this situation again will she act on it. Or stand down because of this idiocy.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    This case should fall under Good Samaritan law and Indiana's self defense law, but I guess you still have to go to court to prove it. The laws don't keep you from being sued it keeps you from loosing the lawsuit. I'm glad they're not settling.

It's been presented 11 times, but 11 times it's not made it to the floor for a vote in Indiana.
    In defense of yourself or others, it should be done & done, but that's not the way it works.
    Get shot committing a crime, you took your chances, now take your lumps...

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    It's been presented 11 times, but 11 times it's not made it to the floor for a vote in Indiana.
    In defense of yourself or others, it should be done & done, but that's not the way it works.
    Get shot committing a crime, you took your chances, now take your lumps...

But no doubt we will get a law banning persons convicted of animal cruelty from owning a cat or dog (the only animals that count, it seems). Ah the Legislature...

Top Bottom