Lady rescued from Kroger robbery now suing Kroger and rescuer.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    The Assistant Mangaer that downed the BG should counter sue the degenerate's Mom and the abductee for the trauma they placed him in for having to serve up a little justice. What's good for the goose and all that.....
    Exactly! Not only the store manager but Kroger as well should place a lawsuit against them. Let's see the quick dollar attorneys reaction to that.

In the story I read, the paper reports that the woman held hostage was an employee for a company that supplied unarmed security guards to Kroger's locations. If she was traumatized by being saved, she obviously wasn't emotionally able to do much guarding. Maybe she was going to help the perp carry the cash outside and help him load it into a get away vehicle. Probably blow him a kiss as he sped away from the crime scene.......
    Most of these "security guards" are nothing more than a person in a uniform, no training or nothing. They are paid to be "a presence of security" when no actual security is in place. At one time Kroger employed Special Deputies as the store security. If they would have done so at the time this all happened I'm sure it would have ended different, if it even would started at all.

So, I assume there is a difference between LEGAL jeopardy and CIVIL jeopardy?
    Did some quick googling:
    double jeopardy legal definition of double jeopardy. double jeopardy synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
    That just doesn't seem right at all. You can perform a completely legal act, and even save someone's life, and still get reamed for it. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
    Yes you are damned either way. If you act, you are liable to civil prosecution and the finacial fallout even if you are found to not be liable. And yet if you do nothing and let it go it's course you could face the same dilema from the "victim" for not doing anything.

It is really sad, but the robber's mother is suing Kroger because he had a reasonable expectation of not being shot because Kroger has a no firearms policy in their store. Here's a direct quote from the lawsuit that was filed:

"By failing to supervise its employees, enforce its own policies, and failing to properly train its employees, Kroger breached its duty of care to Atkinson."

I guess this means that the perpetrator is to be protected in the commission of his crime, and the victim has to take care of him. It is really sad to see how our legal system has deteriorated. Maybe we need more "entitlement" to help us with these types of problems.
    Why is the mother not suing the security guard and security company as well? If the guard was doing her job, which was to (falsely) insure the safety and well being of store patrons as a contracted security officer. Would the guard and security company not be just as liable as the other parties brought into the lawsuit? Oh wait! The mother can sue the State of Indiana as well, they failed to rehabilitate her son while he was in the care of the Department of Corrections. Hey if she is going to file a quick dollar lawsuit why not cover the board.

I could see a more reasonable cause for Mr. Elliot, the former manager, filing suit against Nelson. After all, as the security guard, it was her responsibility to protect him from the criminal, not the other way around. Obviously, she failed miserably.
    Obviously Ms. Nelson failed more at her job than anyone else. Why is she not being named in any civil suits? I would see the store manager file one.

She was probably approached by an ambulance chaser and put on this track. If you are ever involved in anything that may require a lawyer your mail box will be assaulted for the local firms trolling for work. Do not ask how I know this, I just do.
    Lawyers (not all) suck until you need one.

I do not wish harm on this idiot but where would she be with out the intervention on "Her" behalf.
    Maybe a repeated palm slap (Gibbs style) in in order here but remember....people just suck.
    Whatever happened to people being greatful to someone just for helping them out? I forgot they are greatful and return the gratuity in form of a vote. But for someone to go above and beyond to save your life and you thank them with a civil suit. WTH? I forgot it's the society today with the "I want paid" mentallity. Brought on mostly by quick dollar attorneys and the liberal spread the wealth mantra.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    I would hope that the judge hearing these cases would address the plaintiffs accordingly.

For the mother of the bad guy:

"Ms. Atkinson I understand you feel that the defendants put your son in harms way. But Ms. Atkinson your son put himself in harms way when he ebtered into this place of business with intent to commit a serious crime."
    "Case dismissed!"

And for the:

"Ms. Nelson I understand you feel that the defendants and thier actions have caused you emotional trauma by acting in saving your life. You were acting in the course of your employment by "x" security company as a security officer at the time of incident. You, Ms. Nelson, may have failed the parties named as defendants and others inside the store, your job site, at the time of this incident. Ms. Nelson you are alive today because of the actions taken by the defendants. You should be thankful for that in itself."
    "Case dismissed!"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would hope that the judge hearing these cases would address the plaintiffs accordingly.

For the mother of the bad guy:

"Ms. Atkinson I understand you feel that the defendants put your son in harms way. But Ms. Atkinson your son put himself in harms way when he ebtered into this place of business with intent to commit a serious crime."
    "Case dismissed!"

And for the:

"Ms. Nelson I understand you feel that the defendants and thier actions have caused you emotional trauma by acting in saving your life. You were acting in the course of your employment by "x" security company as a security officer at the time of incident. You, Ms. Nelson, may have failed the parties named as defendants and others inside the store, your job site, at the time of this incident. Ms. Nelson you are alive today because of the actions taken by the defendants. You should be thankful for that in itself."
    "Case dismissed!"

This is exactly the point. She was acting in the duty's of her job. Who in heavens name thought it a good idea for a woman to be security. Did she not think someone would put her on the line to defend herself. Just a paycheck to her. Epic society failure.

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    I'd like to be on the jury that hears this trial. Can you say "jury nullification"?

As for the lawsuit the criminal's Mom has brought, I understand that one. After all, the store manager took away her only source of income. Without the proceeds of her son's "career" how will she be able to live?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I grew up litterally five minutes from where the shooting occured, and I still go to that Kroger at night....with my .45. lol
    Anyway it's in a deeply liberal area surrounded with entitlement types who will get money from either the government or via civil action in any way they can. I hate to say that about my home but it's true. This is why I'm reluctant to stick my neck out for anyone beyond friends and family.
    I'm honestly surprised the lawsuit wasn't filed sooner.

We live in the area, also. My wife won't go there at night unless I'm with her. Really sad. I'm tempted to write to the TV stations and the Star and request her picture be posted prominently - in the interests of "Public Safety" - so we can all avoid potential lawsuits the next time someone assaults her.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Justifiable shooting, frivolous lawsuits.

What WOULD make sense is if the State had the ability to charge the two moronic lawyers with filing frivolous lawsuits, fine them $100k each for taking such action, revoking their licenses and having them permanently disbarred. Alas, no such law exists. Such is our current legal system.

I actually think they should make lawyers that bring frivolous lawsuits pay for court costs and opposing lawyer costs if a lawsuit is tossed out.

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    The guy who shot the perp should counter sue for loss of work on a frivolous lawsuit, court costs, and the price of the bullet used for saving her sorry behind.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    It's all about money. Someone probably told her that if she files suit it could be a big pay day for her. She's probably counting on Kroger just paying her off instead of actually going to court.

The manager obviously should have just let the BG do his thing and ignored her situation. That would have had a much better outcome for the sorry POS lady. People like her is why more people don't want to get involved and help each other out.

It's a shame he can't counter sue her for being an ungrateful, money grubbing B.

Maybe he should counter sue her for getting herself in such a situation that he had to use deadly force to save her sorry butt. :)

Top Bottom