Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm pretty sure they installed them so they can get my picture on the rare occasion I go to Lafayette, take that picture home and hold it up with one hand.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    ...female employees of LPD to watch Kirk walk around downtown and get into his truck after work.
    Or maybe former SMERSH operatives working for SPECTRE. Watch your back, agent Freeman, and don't forget to check the underside of the truck. :cool:

Last edited:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    ...or to laught hysterically when they catch somebody picking their nose.

Actually Lafayette has had a recent influx of ex-Cabrini Green residents from the Chi-town area and they are commiting minor and major crimes. The popo can't be everywhere at once but if they are robbing/stealing/tagging with spray paint,they are easier to catch with video surveillance. That is also a good back-up in court for probable cause for arrest.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...or to laught hysterically when they catch somebody picking their nose.

Actually Lafayette has had a recent influx of ex-Cabrini Green residents from the Chi-town area and they are commiting minor and major crimes. The popo can't be everywhere at once but if they are robbing/stealing/tagging with spray paint,they are easier to catch with video surveillance. That is also a good back-up in court for probable cause for arrest.

And if that's all they were able to be used for, I'd possibly think they were OK, but as with anything else, the possibility and indeed, probability of abuse is far too high for me to consider them remotely acceptable.

This is the path down which London trod... and at this point, an Englishman cannot go through his day in that town without appearing on numerous cameras. There is not only no expectation of privacy there, the entire concept is laughable.

It is a dangerous road and a very slippery slope to enter upon.

Blessings,
    Bill

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Stimulus money, federalization of local law enforcement. Double whammy for government - make-work and surveillance all wrapped into a nice package.

Every town is getting these in some form over the next few years. I looked up my town and noticed that we even received stimulus money for "mobile cameras".

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    In england they do stuff like fake pick pocketing, muggings and such to make the cameras work hard. Since they are a group of artists and street preformers they have had a hard time convicting or charging them with anything.

Kind of like street preformers with a political agenda.

9mm Bill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Lafayette
    I've lived in Lafayette pretty much all of my life. I have never felt the need to carry a gun except for the last few years. Now it's keeping one eye over my shoulder and one hand on the the Sig P238 in my front pocket. Mostly downtown.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No reason to go downtown anyway.

Why you could get some yummy coffee, or a bison burger, or a microbrew, or play some pool, going shopping, get candy, get sushi, buy a book, have a vegan meal or a steak, or . . . just hang out with Kirk. I even let rhino downtown.:D

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    And if that's all they were able to be used for, I'd possibly think they were OK, but as with anything else, the possibility and indeed, probability of abuse is far too high for me to consider them remotely acceptable.

This is the path down which London trod... and at this point, an Englishman cannot go through his day in that town without appearing on numerous cameras. There is not only no expectation of privacy there, the entire concept is laughable.

It is a dangerous road and a very slippery slope to enter upon.

Blessings,
    Bill

Ah but you forget! ANYBODY can take your pic or full motion video if you are in public. That has been contested and upheld in every court I can think of. You ARE subject of the scrutiny of the general public if you air your dirty britches in front of John Q. Public. Google it and be enlightened. If you want privacy,do it in your own home with the blinds closed. That's why we have 'Plain Sight' laws for Probable Cause to effect an arrest i.e. Katz v. United States 389 U.S. 347 (1967).

The Plain View doctrine in Horton v. California 496 U.S. 128 ( 1990) and State v. Hollins 672 N.E. 2d 427 (Ind 1996),Sloane v. State 686 N.E. 2d 1287 (Ind App 1987) further refines this. Also see Neville v. State 663 N.E. 2d 169(1996). Also relavent is Culpepper v. State 662 n.E. 2d 670(Ind 1996). A small item is Cady v. Sate 702 N.E. 2d 364 ( Ind App 1998) as well as Payton v. New York 445 U.S. 573 (1980)

Your curtilage enjoys certain freedoms but when you are enjoined in an area out side that,you are susceptiple to Plain View laws such as Blalock v. State 483 N.E. 2d 439 (Ind 1985).

If you feel like you have been unjustly accused,you can use the Exclusionary Rule.

Last edited:

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    A) what crime is there to fight in Lafayette aside from UA drinking at Purdue?

B) how well have these cameras worked in other places that have them?

first one is rhetorical, second one is serious.

Top Bottom