• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Ah but you forget! ANYBODY can take your pic or full motion video if you are in public. That has been contested and upheld in every court I can think of. You ARE subject of the scrutiny of the general public if you air your dirty britches in front of John Q. Public. Google it and be enlightened. If you want privacy,do it in your own home with the blinds closed. That's why we have 'Plain Sight' laws for Probable Cause to effect an arrest i.e. Katz v. United States 389 U.S. 347 (1967).

The Plain View doctrine in Horton v. California 496 U.S. 128 ( 1990) and State v. Hollins 672 N.E. 2d 427 (Ind 1996),Sloane v. State 686 N.E. 2d 1287 (Ind App 1987) further refines this. Also see Neville v. State 663 N.E. 2d 169(1996). Also relavent is Culpepper v. State 662 n.E. 2d 670(Ind 1996). A small item is Cady v. Sate 702 N.E. 2d 364 ( Ind App 1998) as well as Payton v. New York 445 U.S. 573 (1980)

Your curtilage enjoys certain freedoms but when you are enjoined in an area out side that,you are susceptiple to Plain View laws such as Blalock v. State 483 N.E. 2d 439 (Ind 1985).

If you feel like you have been unjustly accused,you can use the Exclusionary Rule.

I haven't forgotten it at all, KD, I just can't support the idea of government abusing the privilege and extorting the money to pay for it from the people who are to be scrutinized and monitored. Of course, if you have nothing to hide.... :rolleyes:

Would I be incorrect to say that you support this use of these cameras?

Additionally, I read that the FIVE cameras installed in the depot area cost something like $56,000. Really? $11,200 for a camera?
    I'm in the wrong da*n business.

Blessings,
    Bill

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Nah. I think the use of cameras are for tossers but it is legal. For now. I just wanted everyone to know why they have 'em.

I believe if that area is that bad,station a foot patrol or mini-kiosk in there. Just the mere presence of a couple officers should deter anyone having an inkling of bad behavior.

But wait,that would require we hire someone that wants a job,equip and train them,have them pay taxes,etc. Camera's vs a real red blooded American is my issue here. It's a dang shame too...

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    The camera system in downtown Edinburgh Indiana is exceptional. Money from Uncle Sugar set it up. Can operate from the police station and zoom in and out on license plates and faces. Hypothetically, officers can sit at a desktop watch a car roll in, park at a bar, watch patron leave and radio ahead to officers on the road while watching the intercept. Welcome to the future.

I always try to adjust my privates extensively in the rare happenstance that I am on their sidewalks. Gotta keep the guys entertained when sitting at the computer instead of out on the road.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Lafayette, Indiana installs cameras downtown in order to fight crime . . . and police boredom.

The reason to do so, which was oddly covered up, was to meet the demands of female employees of LPD to watch Kirk walk around downtown and get into his truck after work.

Lafayette installs downtown cameras for safety - chicagotribune.com

Cameras to surveil downtown | jconline.com | Journal and Courier

Actually there are 2 different theories on the origin and financing of these cameras. Theory # 1 - Cameras were financed by the Historical District Gestapo in order to catch local bar owners painting non period correct murals. Theory # 2 - Paid for by the city of West Lafayette to identify evil smokers heading west towards the pedestrian bridge.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    And if that's all they were able to be used for, I'd possibly think they were OK, but as with anything else, the possibility and indeed, probability of abuse is far too high for me to consider them remotely acceptable.

This is the path down which London trod... and at this point, an Englishman cannot go through his day in that town without appearing on numerous cameras. There is not only no expectation of privacy there, the entire concept is laughable.

It is a dangerous road and a very slippery slope to enter upon.

Blessings,
    Bill

^^ exactly right!!! Government monitoring for our safety :laugh: yeah, I love hearing all the new ways they spin violating our rights. All of the poeple who put this camera crap through there might not have done it for that reason, but where did they get the idea from? this is exactly what the govt wants is for us to be boxed in and have no breathing room. if the federal govt had its way you would have a camera in every room in your hhouse and a "sniffer", ect. this is just moving us closer and closer to constantly having every action monitored and being controlled. if not for the 2nd amendment we would be just like england right now. people in public service get these great lofty ideas of how they are gonna fix the world, but before they put these into law they forget to check something called the constitution. so many laws are against it but no one has the money to bring it to court. sad that it takes money to challenge unconstitutional laws made by people we pay for in courts that we pay for. :rolleyes: If the govt violates our rights then they should have to pay the fees to get it fixed! not ask the people for EXTRA money! its all our money!
    it starts with something innocent and then steam rolls out of control. walking down the street you are monitored by camera that are linked into a computer program that records and profiles you! they can pick out everyone in the crowd who walks with a limp, or wears a red shirt, or who is breathing heavy! and a lot more. its too scary to make up people. you think they dont have a way to see if you carry a gun? sure they do. which puts you in danger of being shot even when you are legal. All this technology might not be in every Podunk police department yet, but it will be eventually if we dont stand up TOGETHER and stop it and other things! I hope everyone here starts going to your local council meetings etc. if you dont then you get what you earn! there will always be people who are happy to take away your rights if you dont object.

Last edited:

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    ...or to laught hysterically when they catch somebody picking their nose.

Actually Lafayette has had a recent influx of ex-Cabrini Green residents from the Chi-town area and they are commiting minor and major crimes. The popo can't be everywhere at once but if they are robbing/stealing/tagging with spray paint,they are easier to catch with video surveillance. That is also a good back-up in court for probable cause for arrest.

Its sad but true. In the last 20 years since I moved to this town its the small town feel I have liked has slowly started to ebb away.
    Having grown up in Eville it was a nice change moving here. Not that Eville is huge but you would be suprised how its got/had the problems of a mid size city.
    Lafayette had that small town feel to a point as long as you dont venture accross the river to the zoo while school is in session.

Now that chi towns finest have been imported its been a noticable diff. Go to any area near one of the gubment housing areas and you see women in housecoats and slippers pushing a stroller with a couple of youngster in tow. I presume they are not out looking for a job. You can see it in the grocery stores nearby even more.

Hate the cameras but I do have one on my house watching the front yard hooked to a hard drive. Private vs public property.

Top Bottom