• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Lafayette Officer Tom Davidson demonstrates how to stop a threat and enhance public relations. :coffee:

Video of Lafayette officer pushing over man in wheelchair released | WISH-TV

Nicholas-Kincade.png

Last edited:

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I was expecting to see "assault by wheelchair" by an angry person. It actually looked like they were cutting him loose and he did not maneuver the chair far enough to clear the foot. Looked innocent enough. I wonder if that was a reflexive reaction to the pain of having his foot run over by a heavy object?

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    You ever have one of those run you over. A double wide in one ran my foot over in the Lousiville gun show. Almost broke my toe.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Dang not sure what to think on this one. I can see the the fact that the LT. did have time to move and not to sure why he didn't. I also doubt that the Lt. intended to knock the guy over like happened. It does seem like the Lt. was almost daring the guy to do something. I do not think it raised to the level of criminal or firing. The guy in the chair made the decision to roll. He does seem like he is brain damaged too so you kinda need to take that in consideration.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I have dealt with hundreds of powerchairs transporting them over the last decade. They are extremely heavy and the person in them normally isn't light. This guy looks like he could weigh a bit, so getting a foot run over would be painful. I've only had it happen once and it hurt a bit.

I can also see where it wasn't intentional. The controls on those things are not the best and each seems to have its own little quirks. It can be hard for a person in a chair to judge the distance of where they are compared to things around them. Add in the fact that most of the time people actually MOVE out of the way of one when it is coming at you, just like you would give a person their own personal space walking down the sidewalk or hallway.

I understand the "kneejerk" reaction to hitting someone back who is striking at you, but to instantly shove a disabled person over in a wheelchair seems malicious. The reason I say that is because for me and others I have spoken to having their foot run over, the normal kneejerk reaction is to step back and away trying to pull your foot free.

If you watch closely you will see the WC driver moving around the officer. When he says, "I didn't even see you" he could have meant he didn't see the foot that far out and just blurted something out.

I don't know how most officers would respond but I hope it isn't shoving someone in the head and tipping over the WC. Persons in the chair can already have some serious issues and being shoved out of one onto the ground could seriously agitate previously existing problems.

I once had a woman in a powerchair have a stroke while on the van. Fortunately we were in the process of unloading her at home and I immediately called 911 with her son-in-law there. When FWFD came to help and the ambulance arrived moving her "normally" was a severe problem due to massive issues she had with her spine. It took quite a bit of maneuvering to safely remove her from the chair and get onto the stretcher. The damage done from such an assault could have been severe.

I understand self defense but there is also a thing of just getting out of the way.

Regards,

Doug

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wife and I saw this last night. That is just the mentality of some LEO with long time on the force.
    I would like to spend a bit of time with this guy. See how tough he is with someone that will push back.

Seriously, knocking him out of his chair. That would get any of us arrested and jailed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Okay, I'm wheelchair bound, however, I use a manual chair. I have been using it for 9 years now while armed everyday. Here is my take.

Don't be a dumba** and tell security you have a gun in your backpack.....

This is true.
    That said it should not end with you on the ground. LEO has the ability to move. If an accident no physical contact was warranted.
    That would get you or I arrested and jailed.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    A month suspension without pay and a demotion seems to me a pretty good punishment for what happened. Unless he has a history of violence, which I did not see any mention of.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I could see a month being a little too long of a suspension, but at least a week or two and a demotion for showing poor judgment sure seem reasonable.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You got to hand it to the chief. In the article, at least, he's not covering for and making excuses for the officer.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Okay, I'm wheelchair bound, however, I use a manual chair. I have been using it for 9 years now while armed everyday. Here is my take.

Don't be a dumba** and tell security you have a gun in your backpack.....
    They were well beyond the point of the investigating the incident. It was done, over, resolved. Kincaide was free to go and moving on. It doesn't really matter whether he said he a gun in his backpack or not.

There is no defense for the LEO. And he should have been fired.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Perhaps cops are afforded the law of self-defense too?

Because a person that apparently lacks enough mobility to require a motorized cart (that has already been determined to not have a gun) is such a threat to my safety that I must push him over if he inadvertently runs over my toe.

Top Bottom