• ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Wow. You seem angry.

Go back and read my post. read the post I quoted.

We have moved from a specific case to general criminal justice. It's pretty obvious...but whatever.

Sure, people need to be jailed when they commit crimes deserving of jail, but the idea that longer jail sentences for everything will solve the issue of violence across Indiana? No. No it will not.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Sure, people need to be jailed when they commit crimes deserving of jail, but the idea that longer jail sentences for everything will solve the issue of violence across Indiana? No. No it will not.

But it will cut down on those repeat offenders...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What ever happened to the "Three Strikes" law?

Life imprisonment? Struck down as unconstitutional.

A Habitual Offender sentencing enhancement statute still exists in different different versions.

Tippecanoe County Prosecuting Attorney does not always use. He fired a bunch of deputies over this 2 weeks ago (if you heard about the purge at the office).

See what happens.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    About cutting down repeat offenders...

View attachment 76421

WQbyiOA.png

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    As far as "convictions and sentencing".... what we need from sea to shining sea in this country, is, judges with some balls, that will say "NO!" to the prevalent easy-off plea deals made by many of the prosecuting attorneys.... and start sending a bunch of these scum bags up the river for years and years.

We also need to pass laws that totally eliminate the possibility of 'concurrent' sentences. They commit multiple felonies, then they get sentenced CONSECUTIVELY for them.

I've NEVER understood concurrent sentences.
    WTH.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    WTH.

I see a productive purpose in having concurrent sentences under certain narrow circumstances. I feel that a judge should have that option in the event a jury convicts someone who was tried on the same offense rephrased 16 different ways or else charged separately with each aspect of what was essentially the same criminal act. I do NOT consider it appropriate for separate incidents.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    WTH.

Let's say e.g. Otis picks up 30 PI arrests in an active month (a stretch, but possible). Assuming the prosecutor can't resist charging each and every one and refuses to do a wrap-up deal, do we really need him to be on probation for 30 years? (assuming 365 days of probation per)

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Let's say e.g. Otis picks up 30 PI arrests in an active month (a stretch, but possible). Assuming the prosecutor can't resist charging each and every one and refuses to do a wrap-up deal, do we really need him to be on probation for 30 years? (assuming 365 days of probation per)

My particular beef with concurrent sentences, is in a situation/case where two or more separate felonies are committed by one or more individuals on one or more occasions.

For example, if a suspect rapes a girl; then 3 days later, rapes another girl; then 2 days later, rapes a third girl and kills her...... I feel, once he's convicted of those crimes, he should serve consecutive terms on at least four ​crimes. Example: 10 years for each rape (total 30 years)... and 15-40 years for murder.... keeping him in prison for at least 35-45 years.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My particular beef with concurrent sentences, is in a situation/case where two or more separate felonies are committed by one or more individuals on one or more occasions.

For example, if a suspect rapes a girl; then 3 days later, rapes another girl; then 2 days later, rapes a third girl and kills her...... I feel, once he's convicted of those crimes, he should serve consecutive terms on at least four ​crimes. Example: 10 years for each rape (total 30 years)... and 15-40 years for murder.... keeping him in prison for at least 35-45 years.

No disagreement here. I was thinking more along the lines of Leroy getting into a fight at the bar and getting charged with a couple different flavors of battery, disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, public intoxication, and trespassing (even though he was too busy fighting to hear the bartender tell him to leave)--all over one fight with one other person.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    No disagreement here. I was thinking more along the lines of Leroy getting into a fight at the bar and getting charged with a couple different flavors of battery, disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, public intoxication, and trespassing (even though he was too busy fighting to hear the bartender tell him to leave)--all over one fight with one other person.

Gotcha'. IMHO in a case such as you describe, not only do I see no felony charges, but can see dropping 2-3 of those charges (all misdemeanors).... and giving the guy 3 days in county and 60 days (total) of supervised probation...... again, only if convicted or if he pleads guilty.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Single criminal episode and not crime of violence, there's a stacking limitation for non-violent crimes. SCE and crimes of violence, can stack beyond next highest level advisory sentence.

Not SCE and released on offense #1 before commits #2, statutorily consecutive, no stacking limitations.

Then the issue is executed vs. suspended sentences...

In your scenario it's up to the judge whether to run those consecutively. And remember in 2014 credit classes for time served changed, so this convict won't be getting day for day credit any more. And 15 to 40 for murder? Why not LWOP or death in your scenario. As to the murder the judge will start sentencing at 55 (advisory) and aggravate from there. Depending on the age of the defendant probably a life sentence in reality.

Gotcha'. IMHO in a case such as you describe, not only do I see no felony charges, but can see dropping 2-3 of those charges (all misdemeanors).... and giving the guy 3 days in county and 60 days (total) of supervised probation...... again, only if convicted or if he pleads guilty.

In a distant county perhaps... say Cook County IL. (Or stricken with leave to reinstate or bond forfeiture...) In Leroy's case some of those offenses would possibly be double jeopardy at sentencing.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    cobber.... My sentencing numbers were just given as an example. Quote from my post#50 "For example....". But flame away if you must.....

I am no lawyer or judge..... but I play both on TV.

Top Bottom