• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I'll be sure to bring this up at the next Landed Gentry Association meeting.:rolleyes:

Bull :poop:

THEY are the ones, who for years, set antlerless deer quotas absurdly high. So high that in my area, you now see more bucks than does. If the desire is to get more people to hunt, to bring more youth into the sport, killing off the deer herd at the behest of the insurance industry is a sucky way to do it.:coffee:

I'm seeing WAY more bucks than does on our property. I sometimes have eight or more bucks on the camera in one picture. I have 3 mature does that I have been seeing regularly, and they have a couple of doe fawns and some button bucks
    from last year that are traveling with them.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I haven’t been a big DNR fan since I was a kid. We had a neighbor bringing in a load of wood in late February at dark. He’d been out cutting it in the back of his 200acre property. As he gets up to the house 2 dnr officers and a county sheriff are waiting. He was cited for poaching at night and his 30-30 confiscated. What made me maddest the man didn’t even hunt. He kept the marlin in the truck for the packs of wild dogs that roamed the area at the time.

Still pisses me off to this day. Rifle Unfired, truckload of wood nondead animals in the truck. Who the hell did they think they were? This was back in the late 80’s early 90’s. So no, dnr doesn’t deserve more money imo

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    I'll be sure to bring this up at the next Landed Gentry Association meeting.:rolleyes:

Bull :poop:

THEY are the ones, who for years, set antlerless deer quotas absurdly high. So high that in my area, you now see more bucks than does. If the desire is to get more people to hunt, to bring more youth into the sport, killing off the deer herd at the behest of the insurance industry is a sucky way to do it.:coffee:

First let me say I have been lurking here for 10 plus years and have never joined, just enjoyed reading the things posted. Today I joined and this is my first post.
    That said, I can't agree more with the post above. I own 100 acres in Jefferson county and have the hunting rights to 77 more that connects to my property. I along with my neighbors are some what selective on the deer we take, since 2007 when I bought my property 7 bucks and 3 does have been taken off my property. I have a lifetime hunting license and have taken 2 does in 11 years.
    I have been deer hunting in Indiana since the early 80's all over the State on both public and private land. I am now seeing a big decline including on my land on the doe population. I bought this property for not only me to hunt but for my kids and grandkids.
    In my opinion the high number of anterless permits in each county along with the predator problems are why I am seeing a decline in deer population. I would like to see the DNR drop the anterless tag limit down to 1 or 2 state wide so our future hunters will have deer around to hunt.
    Thanks for letting me rant.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I agree, it seems the number of deer I see are dropping. The bonus antlerless and quotas have decreased significantly the last couple years. That said, even when they were very high, I seem to remember the actual number of hunters that bagged more than a single deer in a season was very low. I’m wondering if predators are playing a bigger role here. We had a coyote kill a little buck on our farm opening day of firearm this past season. Makes me want to work that much harder on the coyotes.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Bobcats are having a population boom and we have a DNR that won't implement a season. The commission got cold feet and killed the vote of the proposed season before voting on it. Talked to the fur bearer biologist and she said another 5 hr before a proposal. :noway:

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Are those meeting where we get our titles? I already have duke picked out. Maybe I'll get more respect from my subjects, the raccoons and squirrels, after I get a title.:laugh:

I already treat my wife like a Queen, obeying all her wishes, my daughters and granddaughter like Princesses.

Why can't I be the King?!?!?!

Don

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I interact with quite a few hunters at work (and outside of work).
    The guy blasting 2 or 3 does............is pretty common.
    And they still do it, even after saying they're seeing less deer.
    Gotta fill those tags
    SMDH

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I interact with quite a few hunters at work (and outside of work).
    The guy blasting 2 or 3 does............is pretty common.
    And they still do it, even after saying they're seeing less deer.
    Gotta fill those tags
    SMDH

Around here, we have a large number of guys paying big $$$ to lease land for deer hunting. They tend to be very selective about what deer and how many they shoot.

But we also have a lot of Amish deer hunters, that have a lot of kids. They can put a serious hurtin on the doe population.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    As far as dealing with a CO, exactly what is required during the interaction? Its one thing if I'm out in the field hunting and get stopped by a CO but I consider it another if I'm at home and one "just" happens to stop in and start asking questions. I'd be tempted to just show my ID and hunting/fishing license but would not answer a lot of questions. "Officer, I want to cooperate with you, but I will not answer any questions without speaking with my attorney. Am I under arrest"? If not, then have a nice day and see ya later. As I'm sure many of our LEO brethen will admit, police dont ask a lot of questions just to be friendly. As long as youre talking, they are gathering intel for whatever they happen to be checking up on. Me, I'll not comment on anything.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    As far as dealing with a CO, exactly what is required during the interaction? Its one thing if I'm out in the field hunting and get stopped by a CO but I consider it another if I'm at home and one "just" happens to stop in and start asking questions. I'd be tempted to just show my ID and hunting/fishing license but would not answer a lot of questions. "Officer, I want to cooperate with you, but I will not answer any questions without speaking with my attorney. Am I under arrest"? If not, then have a nice day and see ya later. As I'm sure many of our LEO brethen will admit, police dont ask a lot of questions just to be friendly. As long as youre talking, they are gathering intel for whatever they happen to be checking up on. Me, I'll not comment on anything.

I agree you’re within your rights to approach situation this way. I also agree you will likely prevail. Question: Does your chance of him showing up at your blind on opening morning to check paperwork, hunter Orange, etc. now increase? My take was yes. I thought it easier to give a little on this to keep our future relationship non adversarial. I’d be truly interested to hear thoughts handling this as above, with possibly of retaliatory scrutiny in the future.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

I wouldn't even be tempted to open the door.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I wouldn't even be tempted to open the door.

In this case, the wife opened the door, assuming he was a friend of mine. In retrospect, not opening the door may have been easiest way to handle this.

I would think they are not there for a cup of coffee and c_h_i_t -chat. (I didn't know the filters would block that) ohwell...

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I would think they are not there for a cup of coffee and c_h_i_t -chat. (I didn't know the filters would block that) ohwell...

The ICO’s that used to cover the area worked well with us, calling us if suspicious vehicles were noted, working with us to keep out trespassers, etc. Also, the night before, me and a friend with the Hendricks Co SD were on the farm coyote hunting. Given our past history w CO’s, some **** chat about the Sheriff deputy vehicle or reports of spotlighting would not have been out of place. This was a big 180 from any past conversation.

Top Bottom