• ...and so much more!
  • Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    No, I'm not kidding.
    Maybe I shouldn't have said "all" female hunters. If your feathers got ruffled then tuck you bottom lip back in, I'm sorry. No where did I say females can't hunt or are not capable ethical take of game. If you dug that deep into my comment then throw away
    the shovel.
    When you used to check deer at a check station, one of the local CO's, a good friend of mine, would go to the check station and look over the log book. He'd cross reference addresses of females who tagged a buck, usually wives, of males who tagged a buck under the same address. He'd then make house calls and question the wife. He wrote a lot of tickets for double bucking husbands. One lady didn't know the brand of her bow, what broadheads she used, and when asked to pull the bow back she presented she couldn't. A good friend of mine whose wife is an avid hunter got the house visit. She rattled off her bow brand, explained how she switched to mechanical heads and pulled her bow. Proved the CO she was a hunter. My buddy was not offended he was proud. Still brings it up and talks about it. I know of several women that have checked a buck and have never shot a gun or bow. I know for a fact that it happens a bunch.
    If you think this crap doesn't happen, then you are oblivious to the greed of hunters. Now with online checking, I'd say it happens even more. With computer checking I think it would be easier to investigate. A lot easier then going and doing hand writing
    analysis and signature comparison like what was described in the OP.

It happens with turkey too. Not all, but some wives have bagged a tom and never shouldered a gun.

Again, I shouldn't have stated ALL female hunters. To clarify and lay it all out. Check wives/girlfriends living under same address as husbands/boyfriends that tagged a buck.

of the "several women that have checked a buck and have never shot a gun or bow. I know for a fact that it happens a bunch". How many of those have you turned into the CO? If 0 you are part of the problem.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    of the "several women that have checked a buck and have never shot a gun or bow. I know for a fact that it happens a bunch". How many of those have you turned into the CO? If 0 you are part of the problem.

problem with that, and I have saw it firsthand, is that without hard evidence all that happens is the CO does a visit like OP got and hopes someone tells on themselves. This time of year any visit from a CO is most likely a fishing expedition like this.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    problem with that, and I have saw it firsthand, is that without hard evidence all that happens is the CO does a visit like OP got and hopes someone tells on themselves. This time of year any visit from a CO is most likely a fishing expedition like this.

CO's do more fishing than the people they stop.

Probable cause, reasonable suspicion Terry stops, and the 4th amendment end at the boat ramp, or the deer stand.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    A question that comes to mind concerns fair chase, wanton waste, and duty to recover. What if you arrow or shoot a deer or turkey on your land ( or leased property ) but don’t drop it immediately and it escapes onto your neighbors ground. If you track the wounded animal onto property not owned by you and finish it off (assuming you have permission from the adjacent landowner) are you now required to have a valid hunting license ?

If you don’t follow up on a wounded animal could you be ticketed for failing to attempt to recover ( or some other infraction ?). If you do follow up can the CO get you for not having a license. Possibly a Catch 22 scenario ?

landowner exemption scenario problem | HUNTING INDIANA

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    They certainly believe that, which is why their cases frequently do poorly in court...

Belief aside, it is reality. Let a CO see you with a fishing pole in your hand, while on a boat. You will be stopped to check for a license, then life jackets, then a throwable, then a fire extinguisher, then, open your live well, then open your cooler. It is a relentless fishing expedition. In close to 30 years as a boat owner, I have been stopped, I'm guessing, about 50 times. I've been stopped in at least 7 states. I have received 0 citations, and one written warning in this time. My personal record is checked by the same CO three consecutive days in a row. I've been checked 2 times in the same weekend at least 3 times by the same CO.

If your standing on $50K Ranger bass boat, holding a $1k Loomis rod, what are the odds you cheated the state out of a $15 dollar license?

It is the primary reason I gave up fishing. Traded in the Ranger on a new pontoon boat in 2012. There's never been a fishing pole on the boat, and I've never been stopped.

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Belief aside, it is reality. Let a CO see you with a fishing pole in your hand, while on a boat. You will be stopped to check for a license, then life jackets, then a throwable, then a fire extinguisher, then, open your live well, then open your cooler. It is a relentless fishing expedition. In close to 30 years as a boat owner, I have been stopped, I'm guessing, about 50 times. I've been stopped in at least 7 states. I have received 0 citations, and one written warning in this time. My personal record is checked by the same CO three consecutive days in a row. I've been checked 2 times in the same weekend at least 3 times by the same CO.

If your standing on $50K Ranger bass boat, holding a $1k Loomis rod, what are the odds you cheated the state out of a $15 dollar license?
    I am not disagreeing with you as to how many/most of them behave.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've been called a lot of names, but "landed gentry " is a new one.

I figure that my 250+ acres of woods has fed way more deer than I'll ever take.

The king can look at my free husbandry and feeding of his deer as some compensation to the loss of license fee.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    After considering the above, should I find myself with an animal I wounded running to neighbors property, a stop to open my phone and buy and electronic copy of a hunting license would be prudent. Easy enough.

Then the fishing expedition will be about how you bought a license and then checked a deer an hour later. I’m sure that’s something else they are looking over this time of year. :rolleyes:

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've been called a lot of names, but "landed gentry " is a new one.

I figure that my 250+ acres of woods has fed way more deer than I'll ever take.

The king can look at my free husbandry and feeding of his deer as some compensation to the loss of license fee.

Like it or not owning 250 acres in Indiana as an individual puts you in the top 1% of individual land holders. Hell 20 acres is a pipe dream for most middle class folk.

Taking a look at onX maps shows that there aren’t even that many parcels in Indiana that are 250 acres.

Zillow shows some property with 120 acres for around 600k. Simply not attainable for most people.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Like it or not owning 250 acres in Indiana as an individual puts you in the top 1% of individual land holders. Hell 20 acres is a pipe dream for most middle class folk.

Taking a look at onX maps shows that there aren’t even that many parcels in Indiana that are 250 acres.

Zillow shows some property with 120 acres for around 600k. Simply not attainable for most people.

Bah! I bought my ground and built on it at the same time when the asking price was way less than what people in the suburbs were investing in houses on half acre lots. There's lots of public ground around here, the Orange, Martin, Lawrence corner, that's not being hunted at all bow season or ML. This year gun season I saw one vehicle parked at the nearest public land entrance, down from a max of 4 years past.

I earned my way into that 1%, and I'm proud of it.

Last edited:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Bah! I bought my ground and built on it at the same time when the asking price was way less than what people in the suburbs were investing in houses on half acre lots. There's lots of public ground around here, the Orange, Martin, Lawrence corner, that's not being hunted at all bow season or ML. This year gun season I saw one vehicle parked at the nearest public land entrance, down from a max of 4 years past.

I earned my way into that 1%, and I'm proud of it.

As you should be!

Knowing nothing of you or your situation I do know that there are a lot of people who feel it is not fair what you own but have no idea the amount of hard work and sacrifice that went into getting it.

I own 5 acres and feel very lucky to own it. A lot of people are amazed with our property and ask how I found it? Then I have to explain it took two years of searching the internet daily, countless hours looking at plat maps, cold calling property owners asking if they were thinking of selling, and unknown numbers of showings.

Buying and owning areas like this is not simple, common, and they seldom just fall into your lap....they are worked for.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Then the fishing expedition will be about how you bought a license and then checked a deer an hour later. I’m sure that’s something else they are looking over this time of year. :rolleyes:

I can’t imagine any problem as long as the shot is heard after the license is time stamped. One minute later should be good to go. What do I know, though. I never imagined the above situation either.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

Buying and owning areas like this is not simple, common, and they seldom just fall into your lap....they are worked for.

For the most part, I agree with you, but this is not always the case.
    Mine is such a case.

I was minding my own business, hunting land that I begged permission to hunt, and was satisfied.
    Then, one day out of the blue, my uncle called to tell me he was gifting 50 acres of prime wooded bottom-land to me and my two brothers, just for us to hunt!

I've worked hard all of my life, but this would have been well out of my reach.
    I'm the exception to the rule, and couldn't be happier about it.

Top Bottom