• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I would say one of two reasons to be concerned about what the DNR is telling the public...

One, someone is telling them to deny/lie to the public. (To what end)

Two, they are ignorant and not wanting to believe sightings, evidence and killed animals.

I don't care what kind of creatures are in our woods and fields and it's not going to make me change my outdoor activities in any way. I always try to pay attention to my surroundings, when outdoors. Hell, a rabid raccoon could ruin your day.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Is a cougar really capable of climbing a tree with a 200lb hog in its mouth?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, they are.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    According to the internet, a male Leopard averages about 165 pounds. Says they can take an animal that weighs three times their body weight up a tree.

Male Cougars can weigh 220 pounds. So even if they are not even half as strong as their Leopard cousins......

This is raw power, right here.
    6f874af34fd9e48f07bd1e870b4dde20_zpsb8bekl7n.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I would say one of two reasons to be concerned about what the DNR is telling the public...

One, someone is telling them to deny/lie to the public. (To what end)

Two, they are ignorant and not wanting to believe sightings, evidence and killed animals.

I don't care what kind of creatures are in our woods and fields and it's not going to make me change my outdoor activities in any way. I always try to pay attention to my surroundings, when outdoors. Hell, a rabid raccoon could ruin your day.

UbKQ30N.jpg

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    Good news: the DNR says no cougar
    My favorite DNR story -- like everyone in my area I was raised to look out for water moccasins on and around certain lakes; and especially the stripper pits in Pike Co. And every year when the official pubs came out, or the CO's gave a talk; they would tell you that there were no mocs in Indiana. One day a neighbor of my grandfather saw a medium sized one in the newly designated F&W area while frog hunting and lifted it out of the water with an oar before sliding it into the traditional wet burlap sack we used to keep frogs in.

Next day he walks into the Sugar Ridge office of a genuine college educated State Wildlife Biologist and does his best "Aw shucks" routine. Tells the nimrod he's caught a water moccasin. Junior G man decides to humor the old retiree by actually looking in the sack before telling him he's full of it. To his credit he actually did know one when he saw it; and damn near hurt himself trying to get away from newly non-mythological beast slithering across his desk.:laugh:

Surprisingly enough, water moccasins have officially existed in our state ever since.

Anybody out there got a really big live trap? The potential for fun is nearly limitless.....:popcorn:

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    The locals in Perry County by Branchville that I know have all talked about the cougars they have seen. Big Oaks NWA was supposed to have a Black Bear inside the wire last summer/fall. Hell, there's even stories of Bigfoot in the Hoosier National Forest. It would probably really shock people to know what is really walking around in the woods.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The DNR released trail cam footage of a mountain lion in Greene county a couple of years back, how is that denial?

That is irrelevant information because it doesn't fit the DNR is dumb/secretly stocking animal X, Y, and Z narrative. Get with the program!
    Luckily, there is very little chance the small dose of reality you tried to interject will in anyway impede the ongoing flood of humorous DNR conspiracy theories. ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The only thing it didn't hurt was the Goggleye population. Carp, Asian carp and Goggleye are all you can catch anymore.
    Are you sure it wasn't the Asian carp that were the culprits? I've heard the horror stories about what they can do to indigenous fish populations.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Are you sure it wasn't the Asian carp that were the culprits? I've heard the horror stories about what they can do to indigenous fish populations.

The Asians are down at the mouth of the Blue. We used to have great fishing for smallies, channel cat, blue gill and the like. Now we have goggleye, and not very big ones at that.

The otters are coming up out of the river and getting in our farm ponds. When the owners of the ponds call the DNR they say, and I quote, "Don't worry, when the fish are gone they will move on."

No offer to trap and remove the otters, no offer for compensation, just threats if the person who owns the ponds takes things in their own hands.

We all thought that when we own the land, pay taxes, build and stock the ponds for private use we could actually have fish from them. Seems we were only making "all you can eat buffets" for the otters.

Heck, my taxes even went up because of "land improvements"...

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    The Asians are down at the mouth of the Blue. We used to have great fishing for smallies, channel cat, blue gill and the like. Now we have goggleye, and not very big ones at that.

The otters are coming up out of the river and getting in our farm ponds. When the owners of the ponds call the DNR they say, and I quote, "Don't worry, when the fish are gone they will move on."

No offer to trap and remove the otters, no offer for compensation, just threats if the person who owns the ponds takes things in their own hands.

We all thought that when we own the land, pay taxes, build and stock the ponds for private use we could actually have fish from them. Seems we were only making "all you can eat buffets" for the otters.

Seems like a don't ask, don't tell policy would be the preferred method of dealing with varmints.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Wow, I didn't know it was that bad. Heck I didn't think there was enough of an otter population to cause that kind of problem. Obviously I was mistaken! Too bad you can't trap them at least. I assume they're still a protected species?

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    They allowed trapping otter this season for the first time. They have put a season on them with a quota of 600, 2 per person.

If I claim to have 15 personalities...

Top Bottom