• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Is that where old man Jameson got his plow stuck under a stump? Of course he blamed the mules...

I thought old man Jameson was the one making shine? the one who pretended the holler was hainted, dressed up as a ghost to scare people away. Till those meddling kids and their dog ruined it

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When Hollow is preceded by a family name, go with caution.

I remember when they had to name all the roads when 911 service came to Washington County. Seems like churches, schools, rivers and creeks were used when possible. After that it was "the only guy who lives on that road-road". Then you have roads named after someone who died a long time ago. This is also how you gave directions in pre-GPS Washington County. Go out by the old so and so place, turn right when you get to the so and so corner. If you get to the river you went too far.

Goat Hollow and Possum Hollow were probably what the areas had been called for decades. When I saw Buffalo Bottoms Road on the map west of your area? That's what the area was called back in the day (Buffalo Creek bottom ground). Directions included: "go out through the Buffalo Bottoms..."

I was expecting a punch line. Kinda like "the only girl that lives on that road-road". :):

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    This is also how you gave directions in pre-GPS Washington County. Go out by the old so and so place, turn right when you get to the so and so corner. If you get to the river you went too far.

Funny you should mention GPS....FedEx and UPS drivers never can seem to find us out here until they've been here a few times. Seems the GPS units in their vehicles don't recognize addresses in this part of the county. GPS puts my address several miles South of it's correct location!

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Funny you should mention GPS....FedEx and UPS drivers never can seem to find us out here until they've been here a few times. Seems the GPS units in their vehicles don't recognize addresses in this part of the county. GPS puts my address several miles South of it's correct location!

I'm guessing it's not GPS doing that, but rather the integration of the GPS coordinates with the various mapping services from Garmin, TomTom, Google, Apple, etc.

It won't help for packages since that needs a mailing address, but if visitors are getting lost getting to your house, try giving them the actual GPS coordinates. They can plug those into Google Maps (and probably Apple Maps if anyone actually uses it) and it should take them to your place more accurately.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I had to contact Google and have them update my address' map location. It kept putting people a mile away. Shortly after I told them, they fixed it.

2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame
    My neighborhood has a street that doesnt go thru to the street east of me. People using gps always end up in that neighborhood wondering where I live.....makes me wonder if you are in a self driving car if it would try to drive through the woods?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    My neighborhood has a street that doesnt go thru to the street east of me. People using gps always end up in that neighborhood wondering where I live.....makes me wonder if you are in a self driving car if it would try to drive through the woods?
    Yes, when it's trying to kill you. The machines will try to kill us, happens in the movies and on TV all the time.

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    Two donkeys were killed in a fenced pen. The cat went over a 5ft fence to access the animals. It is sloppy wet down here and there were several paw prints that were the size of the palm of a mans hand.

Sorry, but the local paper in this metropolis only comes out every Wednesday. So, take it for what it is worth...
    I live on 150 close to the washington county line, did this happen around here?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Just saw that...Looks pretty interesting! Seems to walk like a cougar and looks like one. Then again, house cats walk that way, too. I wish the video had something close to it to give some indication of size.
    With that road in the video, that has to be a decent sized cat. I would say it is not a house cat

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    With that road in the video, that has to be a decent sized cat. I would say it is not a house cat

After studying it closely, I agree. It appears to have a black tip on the tail, too. Pretty exciting stuff! I love the idea of bears, cougars, and bobcats in Indiana. Two years ago, I saw a huge bobcat dead on the side of I69 somewhere near Washington, Indiana. It was 100% for sure a bobcat, no mistaking it.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Just be cautious out there.
    When I lived in the CA mountains, I thought I saw a few coyotes on our back trail so I ran out there to catch them. The sun was going down and it was getting darker by the minute. I got to where I saw them last and walked the trail for awhile and nothing so I started back home. I look up and see two large bobcats jumping out of one of the many trees that I had just walked under on the trail. Apparently what I saw earlier wasn't coyotes.

Just remember, the threat can also come from above. :nailbite:

Another time I also witnessed a 5 foot rattlesnake slither into a hedge and poise himself to bite the momma bird when it flies back to it's nest. The nest was over 6 foot high. Until then I never thought to beware of getting a snakebite from any height let alone 6 feet.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Necropost: The DNR did finally come to the site. Looked at the evidence and said, "dogs did it..."

Good news: the DNR says no cougar

Bad news: large "dogs" with prints larger than the palm of your hand that can rip the throats out of two donkeys after jumping 4ft fence (only one type/size of prints at sight)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    At least you can shoot the dogs with out getting into trouble with the DNR, so that's a positive.

Top Bottom