• ...and so much more!
  • jh101

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Carmel
    Had it done in 2004. Don't remember the cost. One of the best decisions I've ever made. 20/15 now. Let's see...I would have been 42 then.

I researched the hell out of it. I was nervous, and the doctor gave me a Valium to take the day of the surgery. No dry eyes. No halo's at night. Night vision is fine. I wear reading glasses now, but pretty much everyone does at my age - lasik or not.

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I had LASIK done in 1999. I'm 47 now. As it happens I'm also an optometrist.

I'm back in glasses now. I need bifocals and my prescription has slipped back a bit in the last 19 years - it happens. Then again, my prescription was so hideous I went into the consultation thinking they probably wouldn't be able to do it. 4 diopters of astigmatism. Usually 2.50 is about the most they can correct but my surgeon was a bit of a cowboy. Also, the procedure itself has gotten more advanced in the last 20 years.

I've had many patients over 40 who have been more than happy with their results. A lot of it depends on where you're starting from. Like the fella above with -7.50 pre-op can tell you - needing glasses now and then after the surgery is a far cry to being blind as a bat without any correction. I have a patient who's a pilot who had LASIK done and he even though he needs reading glasses still, he's thrilled that he doesn't need glasses to fly now. I have another patient who went to Columbia to have it done. She got a great price. The results were not ideal though. I did the follow up on the enhancement she had to correct the first surgery. Again, much happier now. So yeah, don't go bargain hunting when you looking for an eye surgeon.

For what it's worth, Price is one of, if not the best eye surgeon in the state.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    brother and sister in law have both had it done. her, 20 yrs ago, him 15 yrs ago. They both had appts yesterday to have it done again, both are 55.
    They are both needing glasses again, but they said it's nothing compared to the before 15 & 20 years ago. he is having one done for close up, the other for distance this time. she is just getting her distance corrected again.
    My sister will be doing it as well soon, she's 56.
    One of these days I may jump on the bandwagon, and I am not as old as them, I am the young one :):

My daughter tried to have hers done about 2 or 3 years ago. Her eyes are to dry and at that time, it couldn't be done. She said she won't try again.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I had PRK done in 2004 at age 47. They couldn't do lasik because my corneas were too thin. I wore glasses since I was 10 years old and hated it. When I needed bifocals and tried no line lenses I couldn't adapt so that made the decision easy. Results were great but I still needed reading glasses which I fully expected.

Three years ago I needed cataract surgery so I went back to the same surgeon. They replace the lenses in your eye and can make corrections to your vision again during the surgery. After that I seldom need reading glasses and my distance vision is great.

If you think you are too old for lasik wait till your doctor tells you it's time for cataract surgery. They can adjust the lenses to correct your vision and you won't need glasses.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Okay - Just got back from my appointment. I'm a perfect candidate for the surgery. The newest technology is called "Contoura Vision" surgery, and it is reasonable to expect 20/12 vision afterwards. Price Vision Group quoted me $4,380 to have it done.

That's a lot of money, but it sure would be nice.

Gotta think about this one.

:ingo:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    My wife had PRK earlier this year. Rough recovery but very happy now.

i’d love LASIK but my right eye keeps changing and has an astigmatism. I’d be fine getting one eye done though and wearing one contact. Not sure if that’s a thing

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I had laser surgery on my eyes back in 1994 when the FDA testing was reaching it's end.

I started with 20/400 vision that was 20/15 with glasses.
    I was a slave to glasses.

Laser surgery corrected it to 20/20.

YES, you are conscious when they do it, but you don't feel a thing.
    They gave me a Valium beforehand to relax me, and eye drops to numb the eyes.

I laid on my back on a table and all I had to do was focus on a green light and not move my eyeballs.
    The table moved underneath me to adjust where the laser hit.

The FUNNY thing though, as your eyes are being hit with the laser, smoke comes up that smells just like ants under a magnifying glass smelled when I was a kid.;)

I've never regretted having it done, and it's still working after 24 years.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My wife had PRK earlier this year. Rough recovery but very happy now.

i’d love LASIK but my right eye keeps changing and has an astigmatism. I’d be fine getting one eye done though and wearing one contact. Not sure if that’s a thing

My mom did it, but for a different reason. She uses one eye to see far and the other for close.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Okay - Just got back from my appointment. I'm a perfect candidate for the surgery. The newest technology is called "Contoura Vision" surgery, and it is reasonable to expect 20/12 vision afterwards. Price Vision Group quoted me $4,380 to have it done.

That's a lot of money, but it sure would be nice.

Gotta think about this one.

:ingo:

Believe me, you wouldn't ever regret it. This is coming from someone who would gladly pay again if I could.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Bring this back up at my wife is looking into having lasik done. She's 44 and eyes are -7 and -8. She has a consult scheduled with Lasik Vision Institute but I think she should go to a few places to see what they say.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I was -7.50 when I had it done. Because I was so bad, it was a one shot deal. Unfortunately, as I've gotten older, I'm back to needing glasses or contacts, but it was worth the cost to not need glasses for 11 years.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I NEED to get it done but not working for 2 years has put a damper on funding it. Losing night vision worries me also as my wife has horrible night blindness!

Gunaddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 19, 2024
    Greenfield, IN
    I had it done when I was 42 and had PRK where they modify the outside of the cornea. Also had a touch up done. I’m 53 now and started using readers at 48. I had a few good years before the old age vision crept in.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    -8 here before surgery in 2008. Starting to notice issues with things <12 inches from my face at this point but that's not super surprising as the years tick on. Certainly a quality of life improvement over the glasses/contacts routine. I think the surgery was more traumatic on my wife since they were showing the surgery process to another potential patient using my eyeballs. It was unnerving though knowing that the process (PRK) is supposed to only remove the epithelial layer, modify the cornea and then let it grow back over a few days. Only side effect I have is dry eyes in the mornings.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I went without glasses for 10 years….. after needing them for about 20. Now I have astigmatism had surgery at 25 yo it was a nice 10 years

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I had it 21 years ago. Went from something like 20/800 to 20/10. Still don't need glasses, though I've degraded somewhat.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Same. I'm still 20/20 but I had to start using readers. Only 1.25 so I'm not too concerned. 23 years of excellent distant vision is still worth it.

I'm fine up close, just starting to lose some distance vision. Night vision is odd in that I can see fine but can't read very well. Like I have no issue seeing any given object but I can't focus on the letters. I have the same issue with black on black sights with a black target. I can focus on the rear sight or the target but can't make my eyes focus on the front sight. It's essentially invisible to me except in brief transitions.

Top Bottom