• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warmachine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    See now Im going to have to buy an OWB holster for Saturday when Im in Indy for UFC 119. I always carry concealed but have oft wondered what would happen if I were to OC. I would have filed the complaint by now AND called local media, a lawyer and Family Video. This is exactly why the public dont trust or respect police.

Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    Don't know that a complaint is the best way to go here. They were wrong, no doubt about that but sometimes, you CAN fix stupid. Maybe a talk with the chief requesting his officers be advised of the state law re: LTCH. Also, I agree with Patton, I'd be back there the next day and EVERY day with the biggest handgun I could find in OC. I'm sure the cops know the law by now, so just be polite. and don't go looking for a fight. Being a moron is pitiful but it's not illlegal, even for police officers.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    WOW. I guess this is the risk we run OCing. Granted it seems to only happen in this way one in every couple hundred instances, but I'd say this is pretty close to as bad as it gets without getting shot or arrested. :dunno:

Hope it all works out for you.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    I talked to the video store, no camera pointed out there. The way the cops cars were parked I'm pretty sure they aren't on their dashcams. So it's my word against theirs. I don't care about monetary crap, I just want these guys to know that myself and every other legal carrier of weapons refuse to be pushed around by cops who interpret guns laws.

It shouldn't be an issue, but I feel one reason they went full retard is because at the time my hair was down to my shoulders and pulled back and I was wearing a Slayer tshirt. I have since cut my hair back to mil-spec just because I am sick and tired of the way people look at me (that and a job) so I think when I go talk to the chief I might just go up there in my class A's and really make em think.

Thanks for all the support, I really do think an OC day would get the point across. I'll let ya know how it goes, I'm going to talk to the chief or a lackey on Monday!

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    It shouldn't be an issue, but I feel one reason they went full retard is because at the time my hair was down to my shoulders and pulled back and I was wearing a Slayer tshirt. I have since cut my hair back to mil-spec just because I am sick and tired of the way people look at me (that and a job) so I think when I go talk to the chief I might just go up there in my class A's and really make em think.

Class A's is the best option. It also explains without you telling, why their irresponsible actions almost got people shot.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    ARGH! "You can't carry that in the open" Seriously?? How is it that so many LEOs do not know the law on this??

They had a legal right to ask for your LTCH, everything beyond that was excessive, period.

Good luck with your complaints, I hope we can see some good come out of it.

aetucker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    it doesn't matter if this guy was the freakin' chief, you need to file a complaint. do NOT be intimidated by how high they are up on the ladder...it doesn't give them the right to do this. They overstepped their bounds, PERIOD.

aetucker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    i used to work within blocks of where this happened. the area looks nice...but it really isn't the best part of town. In the year that I had my office over there, there were probably 4 shootings, a few robberies, and a murder at an ATM...not to mention the guy that was 1 block away from our office that decided to go out on Pendleton Pike brandishing a shotgun trying to get the cops to shoot him. SWAT, helicopters, about 20 cop cars...good times had by all.:runaway:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I talked to the video store, no camera pointed out there. The way the cops cars were parked I'm pretty sure they aren't on their dashcams. So it's my word against theirs. I don't care about monetary crap, I just want these guys to know that myself and every other legal carrier of weapons refuse to be pushed around by cops who interpret guns laws.

Thanks for all the support, I really do think an OC day would get the point across. I'll let ya know how it goes, I'm going to talk to the chief or a lackey on Monday!

Some of the dashcams also record outside audio, and some officers are required to wear a body mic. Might be worth finding out and getting the recordings if possible.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    I know the LPD guys don't carry body mics :( but I am most definitely going in there with my class A's. Did it at my first divorce hearing and it worked in my favor hehehe. I wouldn't have been so freakin mad if they would have just routinely pulled me over, explained why I was being stopped, and then asked to see my LTCH and firearm. But they went full 'tard and now I have to squeeze my civilian behind back into my uniform, all in all it shoul be an enjoyable monday!

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    I know the LPD guys don't carry body mics :( but I am most definitely going in there with my class A's. Did it at my first divorce hearing and it worked in my favor hehehe. I wouldn't have been so freakin mad if they would have just routinely pulled me over, explained why I was being stopped, and then asked to see my LTCH and firearm. But they went full 'tard and now I have to squeeze my civilian behind back into my uniform, all in all it shoul be an enjoyable monday!

Keep us posted man.

ProLibertate

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    See now Im going to have to buy an OWB holster for Saturday when Im in Indy for UFC 119. I always carry concealed but have oft wondered what would happen if I were to OC. I would have filed the complaint by now AND called local media, a lawyer and Family Video. This is exactly why the public dont trust or respect police.

We're not all like that... There are a handful of jackasses in every industry, everywhere. Unfortunately, people remember the bad encounters before the good encounters.
    If you think hearing about the D-bags that pull these stunts that are borderline unconstitutional is bad, you should try working with them.
    This story pisses me off too, but I urge you to consider two things:
    As a general rule, the police are not against you or your rights.
    And, in this instance, we are only hearing one side of the story. There are always two sides. In my experience, the "absolute truth" lies somewhere in the middle. :twocents:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    We're not all like that... There are a handful of jackasses in every industry, everywhere. Unfortunately, people remember the bad encounters before the good encounters.
    If you think hearing about the D-bags that pull these stunts that are borderline unconstitutional is bad, you should try working with them.
    This story pisses me off too, but I urge you to consider two things:
    As a general rule, the police are not against you or your rights.
    And, in this instance, we are only hearing one side of the story. There are always two sides. In my experience, the "absolute truth" lies somewhere in the middle. :twocents:

I wish more cops thought that. It seems your always guilty, and then when they know your not they still insult you. :xmad:

OP. who cares who this cop is or was. dont let that intimidate you before you even start. If you start getting harrassed from filing this complaint then thats more that you will have to use in court. just write everything down while its fresh in your mind. also I recomend carrying a note pad with you and if anything else occurs write down info (names, descriptions, car numbers, time of day, call signs if you hear any on the radio, etc.) good luck. you have a lot of people beside you.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm thinking an OC luncheon might be in order next Friday the 1st.

Thinking maybe at the Culver's just south of 56th on Post Rd. The reason I say Culver's is that recently a policy issue came into play up near it's home base in Wisconsin and their executive board decided that it would not seek to put any restrictive policies in place after an open carry event in Madison, Wisconsin (one of the most 'statist' cities you'll find in middle America): Open Carry Debate Could Affect Businesses - Money News Story - WISC Madison

Also, it is usually pretty busy at lunch and it is close to the town's headquarters.

If enough people are on board then we should organize it and put it in a post under INGO events. Just be damn sure you bring your LTCH and your best manners. I also have some information with how to deal with anti's and non-firearms folks that is a non-combative approach.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    what the heck is a "constable"?????? Ive heard the term before, but I have no clue what kind of authority that gives them, or what they actually do, especially being an elected position.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Clay, not every county has them. Think of them as the police department for a small claims judge.

Indiana Code 33-34-6-4

Constable; election; deputies; compensation
    Sec. 4. (a) The voters of each township having a small claims court shall elect a constable for the small claims court at the general election every four (4) years for a term of office of four (4) years, beginning January 1 after election and continuing until a successor is elected and qualified. The ballot must state the:
    (1) name of the candidate; and
    (2) court for which the candidate is to serve. (b) Each small claims court shall have a constable who:
    (1) acts as the bailiff of the court;
    (2) serves the court's personal service of process;
    (3) has police powers to:
    (A) make arrests;
    (B) keep the peace; and
    (C) carry out the orders of the court
    ;
    (4) must meet the qualifications prescribed by IC 3-8-1-31;
    (5) is compensated for each process that is delivered to effect personal service when serving as the bailiff for the court;
    (6) is responsible for:
    (A) the preparation and mailing of all registered or certified service and is compensated for each process served by mail; and
    (B) all the official acts of the deputies;
    (7) is compensated solely from the service of process fees collected under IC 33-34-8-1; and
    (8) may require a deputy to give a bond for the proper discharge of the deputy's duties for an amount fixed by the constable.
    (c) The elected constable may appoint full-time and part-time deputies for assistance in the performance of official duties who:
    (1) perform all the official duties required to be performed by the constable;
    (2) possess the same statutory and common law powers and authority as the constable;
    (3) must take the same oath required of the constable;
    (4) are compensated solely from the service of process fees collected under IC 33-34-8-1; and
    (5) serve at the pleasure of the constable and may be dismissed at any time with or without cause.
    (d) If there is an:
    (1) emergency; or
    (2) inability of a constable to carry out the constable's duties;
    the judge may appoint a special constable to carry out the duties of the constable during the emergency or inability.

Top Bottom