• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    An overseeder would do the job the best. You can rent them.

Spreading works also but only a small percentage of seeds will start. If you spread seed, watering will help more seed come in contact with soil.

Depending on how bad the thatch is in your lawn, dethatching may be a wise move for you to ensure a better seed start on all of your work and effort. Dethatchers can be rented as well.

What difference between spreader and overseeder? And when should I resend?

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Don’t quote me on this but I think closer to the first frost of the year is a good time to reseed.

A spreader will just throw the seed on top of your lawn and then it needs to settle down to the dirt. Wind, drought, birds, and water runoff will all fight against you for seed germination.

An overseeder is a motorized unit that will help knive in the seed about a 1/2 inch. That’s why you’ll get better seed response.

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    I’ve heard spreading seed in late winter just before spring with the last, or close to last cumulative snow fall. As explained to me for a few reasons.

1.) the contrast of seed on the snow makes it easy to tell if you’ve missed a spot.
    2.) the concern of birds taking seed is minimal (if it ever really is) due to the smaller population.
    3.) as the snow begins to melt, the end of the seed that begins to take root during the germination process is heavier and as such gravity will pull it down to soil. Thus leading to a more positive germination percentage. Any further melting snow fall will water the seed.

I would think one would need to time this pretty well however as the cold temps will stave germination and the melting snow would cause seed rot. As an aside,
    I noticed an immense improvement in lawn quality when I started de thatching and aerating. In that order.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Fall is good for seeding because it's still warm enough for germination but not too hot everyday to dry it out and there is usually pretty good rain to water it. I believe at least five weeks should be allowed for germination.

I'd definitely look into renting an over seeder or having a professional come.

Last edited:

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    The Gordon Trimec got rid of most of my clover and setting the cutting height higher also seems to help.

Raise the mower even higher. Once the grass takes over from the weeds it will look better and better longer.

I have my mower on the highest setting all summer and only lower it for the last two or three cuts of the season. Hardly any weeds ever, the grass doesn't dry out nearly as fast as when short and it looks good, like US Open rough. 4-5" tall and when it gets to 6" I cut it. Too hard to hit an 8 iron out of it.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Raise the mower even higher. Once the grass takes over from the weeds it will look better and better longer.

I have my mower on the highest setting all summer and only lower it for the last two or three cuts of the season. Hardly any weeds ever, the grass doesn't dry out nearly as fast as when short and it looks good, like US Open rough. 4-5" tall and when it gets to 6" I cut it. Too hard to hit an 8 iron out of it.
    You had me until US Open.
    SGNmi6b.jpg

Top Bottom