• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I have a Star BM 9mm with what appears to be a heavily leaded barrel. I picked up the gun in a trade so not sure of its history with lead bullets but it almost has to be lead. I have tried soaking it in Hoppes No #9, followed by a good scouring with a piece of a copper, Chore Boy pad wrapped around a .38 caliber bore brush....repeatedly. So far not much lead removal is taking place. I thought about buying a Lewis lead removal kit but since I don't shoot much lead I didn't really want to spend the money on one not knowing if it will work any better than the "Chore Boy" method. I read in another post about the use of a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide but am hesitant to try it on the Star barrel. I have heard that they are made of a softer steel and am afraid of etching it. Has anyone used this method with good results and no damage with Star pistols? What other lead removal options are there or what would be a better commercial soaking solution than Hoppes #9?

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I was told that Kroil works great for this. Put some down the barrel and wait 24 hours. It is supposed to creep under the lead or copper and then it is easily brushed away.

Top Bottom