• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm still not sure if I like the Wingman or the Sidekick better.
    I have yet to try one in person.Looks like they are the same, just one has scissors and the other has a saw.
    Also a different main blade.

I used to carry the Wingman around the house. The scissors don't work well enough for me to count them as a feature, but then I've get to find a multi-tool other than Victorinox products that have scissors that function well. I'd rather had the saw. And I prefer the non-serrated blade on the Sidekick to the partially serrated blade on the Wingman.

Reller39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Stendal
    I used the sidekick for less than a year and it is worn a lot. Flops open instead of clamped shut. One handle swings like a butterfly knife. I too thought the saw would be great and the few times I did use it the saw worked better than I imagined. Very sharp

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I used to carry the Wingman around the house. The scissors don't work well enough for me to count them as a feature, but then I've get to find a multi-tool other than Victorinox products that have scissors that function well. I'd rather had the saw. And I prefer the non-serrated blade on the Sidekick to the partially serrated blade on the Wingman.

My Gerber has both a standard blade and a serrated. No scissors.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I'm looking at both the Wingman and the Sidedick.
    Also some Gergber options.

Oh and SOG have some nice ones too.So many options. :faint:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    The Cadillac of multi-tools is Victorinox.

They really aren't nearly as pricey as I thought they'd be! I would like to get hands on with a couple, and I'd probably consider buying a smaller model. I'm a fan.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have had 2 Gerber multi-tools for over a decade now. I had to be able to open them with one hand and these fit the bill, also they are pretty much indestructible. The last Leatherman I lost I never replaced.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    I have a Leatherman Wave in Black Oxide that i've EDC'd with the pocket clip for about 4 years now. I use the crap out of it and couldn't be happier. My favorite part is the driver bit. If you have to really put some muscle into turning a screw, you can shape the tool in an L-shape like a handle. Not many tools out there can do that, So my vote is get a Wave.

As for your broken one, Contact Leatherman directly and see what they can do for you. I've never had to have warranty work done on mine, but it seems like they make it pretty easy. Warranty Information - Leatherman

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm looking at both the Wingman and the Sidedick.
    Also some Gergber options.

Oh and SOG have some nice ones too.So many options. :faint:

Take a look at the Leatherman Rebar. It's sturdier than the smaller tools, but less bulky and lighter than the big tools. It has the replaceable hard wire cutters too.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    In my humble opinion, it's the best compromise among size/weight vs strength vs number and usefulness of tools.

I like that it has a full lenght ruler (both imperial and metric apparently), not like a 2 inch ruler like some have.
    Not all leatherman models are easily available over here though.I will have to look into it.

Reller39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Stendal
    I like Gerber carried Gerber knives that were great held edge. Need to look closer at their tools maybe I will get chance to handle some at NRA convention

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I EDCed a Gerber (I've had 4 I think, a 400, 600, 800/legend, and something else) back when the pliers were the most likely to be used tool (back when I did theater stuff). After moving to Automotive and then a desk job, I carry a Leatherman wave. Both are nice but have different applications and benefits that fit different roles. The leather holster that came with my wave is worlds ahead of the nylon ones with the Gerbers but all the Waves I've seen since come with nylon holsters :(

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    After years of EDC my Wave leather holster rivets finally gave out. Fortunately didn't lose the knife. Used a sewing awl and waxed thread to repair it, since the new nylon stuff will never last as long.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I researched long and hard about leathermans. Looked at utility, size, weight, pocketability, most used tools. I decided on the Leatherman Rev. I don't need 20 tools in a MT. The Rev is easy enough to carry in the front pocket with the clip. The most used tools are the package opener, phillips and flat head drivers, knife, and the pliers. Don't need much use for a bunch of other crap on there that adds bulk to EDC

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    The Cadillac of multi-tools is Victorinox.

No contest, Victorinox is king.

I've had my Swisstool for around 12 years, and the thing is amazing.

Also, who needs replaceable wire cutters, I work in the utility industry, and I cut tons of carbon steel meter base seals, and my cutters have held up fine.

Top Bottom