• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    That is certainly true. You might know this as I’ve always wondered: Who was Tater Rd named after? It must have been someone pretty important because that’s a long road. :D

Tater Road was around before they named the roads (officially anyway.) "I was lost after I turned off 37 in Orleans, I was looking for the Little Twirl in Livonia..."

Glock22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Bedford
    Tater Road was around before they named the roads (officially anyway.) "I was lost after I turned off 37 in Orleans, I was looking for the Little Twirl in Livonia..."
    Little Twirl is awesome, We live in Bedford and drive down there a couple times in the Summer. Bomacs in Shoals is also great.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I like it here in Sullivan county. 30 minutes to Terre haute or Robinson. 1.5 hours to Bloomington. I live within a few ,miles of the river and counting my house, there are only 4 houses on the mile long stretch of county road. My house shouldn’t really count, because we are so far off the road. Great place to live and, as of last year, we even have DSL internet available.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I like it here in Sullivan county. 30 minutes to Terre haute or Robinson. 1.5 hours to Bloomington. I live within a few ,miles of the river and counting my house, there are only 4 houses on the mile long stretch of county road. My house shouldn’t really count, because we are so far off the road. Great place to live and, as of last year, we even have DSL internet available.

I've been out here 20 years. We had DSL available when I moved in and 3-4 years ago we were upgraded to fiber. "Cable" TV, phone and super high speed internet in the middle of BFE. We were so glad to say hasta la vista to the dish. I must say our RTC is excellent as far as keeping up to date tech-wise and service wise. IIRC the whole county will have fiber by the end of the year.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Nothing like living in the woods, modern conveniences can be unreliable, but the trade off is worth it. Drugs are where ever you go these days.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    A lot of good points here. I live in eastern Montgomery County. We commuted in to Indy for work for years, but now my husband works from home.

I love my clients in Marion County but am happy for the peace and quiet I get when I am home.

There are a lot of gun ranges out here; on some properties you can put your own range up if you have a berm (we have one on a hillside by a creek).

Cost of living is lower, but property taxes did go up a couple of years ago.

There was supposedly a meth lab in an old barn down the road from us 20 years ago. We never personally had any trouble. We've always had large dogs, so that keeps most of the riff-raff away.

One big downside is slow internet. The DSL is almost unbearable. So we pay $150 for a fly-by-night company that buys contracts with cell phone companies to you put their cards in your modem. And most of the time it works.

Building permits are not nearly as bad here as in the city, but there are more requirements than there were 20 years ago.

We are still considered "new" around here after 21 years, because our families aren't from here. But everyone has always been very helpful and considerate to us.

Most of the roads are good for bicycling, if you like that and the south side of the county has hills (good exercise on a bike, good scenery on a motorcycle). There are a lot of loose dogs. That gets a bit better in Hendricks Co (better animal control enforcement) and all of the roads in Hendricks are paved. Hendricks is more expensive though. Boone has also gotten more expensive.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It is true that some places have rural meth labs, but is that worse than the drug dens in Indy? At least with the meth labs you can remain far and far away from them.
    And they won't bother you.

Unless it's right next door. One member here had that problem. And my sister in Monrovia had it also.
    BTW, Monrovia is also a good spot.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    We fled Marion County in 1988...haven't missed it. The place I live does require you to own at least one pickup truck, or you can't vote.

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    I just moved from Warren Township out in the sticks of Hancock County. I couldn't justify staying just to lessen the commute. Do not regret it one bit. Would have loved to move further away but after living in California, I told myself that 45-60 minutes commutes are just not worth it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Congratulations!!!! Leaving Marion County was the best thing ever. I regretted moving there at all but I have a wife that wanted it. I will not ever regret leaving. This country boy hated that place.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Please remember to shop local it will cost a little more but you will be supporting your community and most of all small local businesses. Yeah wal mart is cheaper but not worth it.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Downtown here and best time for me to sell will be 2025 due to local development. Lived country and city and both have their pluses and minuses. For me it was a smart buy. Location, location, location.

I work from home so the recent events have not affected me much.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    My 2 cents on places on the west side:
    Avon/Brownsburg/Plainfield: pluses = basically bedroom communities, decent schools, decent shopping, moderate traffic, fairly close to downtown indy.
    minuses = lots of apartments, low cost housing being built ( i am not disparaging anyone who lives in these, but these tend to put additional property tax load on others to fund increased school enrollment) low wage warehouse jobs, not much industry otherwise
    Pittsboro/Danville/Lizton: pluses = decent schools, more of small town feel, decent shopping relatively close, moderate traffic, conservative political views
    minuses = longer commute to indy, not much industry,
    Further out: pluses = small town feel, distancing from big city problems, conservative political views
    minuses = longer commute to indy, travel for shopping, schools?? fewer health care options without travel
    I have lived in rural communities in Hendricks, Boone, Pike and Clay counties all my life and have never encountered a meth lab. I am sure they exist but I suspect not in the numbers the media would like you to believe. There is always a trade off. Living in the city is all about convenience, living in the country is all about peace and quiet. Yes, I am one on those people that looks out the window when a car drives by wondering "Who is using my road"!

sempifi99

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    I just moved to Allen count and it is great. Though, I came from Chicago burbs so anywhere when compared to there is great. Adams county is pretty nice too.

sonny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2020
    Danville
    I love far west area such as Putnam and Parke County. Rockville is a great area but it also depends on where you work as alot of people that live in Rockville work in Terre Haute

Top Bottom