• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newguyjosh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Are there any issues with leaving a magazine fully loaded for long periods of time? Like will they spring lose tension and potentially lead to jams? I’m lucky to get out and shoot a few times per year currently so was wondering about my bedside gun and my carry gun

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I had that worry a while ago with my "carry" firearms. Even when I take them to the range, I just use a different magazine so I don't have to cycle my "carry" ammo and waste the expensive stuff at the range.

But thankfully, it is cycles (e.g. compress and expand) that fatigues metal. Keeping it compressed for a long time does no harm.

desnifter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2022
    USA
    I will keep them loaded, however I will make sure to run a decent number of rounds through any magazine I intend to depend on.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I think I remember this discussion in earlier threads and a mention of pmags going bad. Like the pressure against the plastic feed lips may fatigue them a little causing malfunctions.

Due to that I leave my AR P-mags empty and just for range use and all my GI style (aluminum?) loaded.

I have not had any P-mags for handguns, so I could not comment on those. It would make sense that polymer might "relax" over time/pressure. Ask anyone trying to restore an 80's car, the plastic bits are all toast by now and unusable.

Fortunately all my pistol mags are all metal being either OEM or Wilson Combat.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think I remember this discussion in earlier threads and a mention of pmags going bad. Like the pressure against the plastic feed lips may fatigue them a little causing malfunctions.

Due to that I leave my AR P-mags empty and just for range use and all my GI style (aluminum?) loaded.

I have not had any P-mags for handguns, so I could not comment on those. It would make sense that polymer might "relax" over time/pressure. Ask anyone trying to restore an 80's car, the plastic bits are all toast by now and unusable.

Fortunately all my pistol mags are all metal being either OEM or Wilson Combat.
    At one point I had north of 100 loaded Pmags. Loaded 1 round short mainly for inserting the mag against a closed BCG (in some rifles it makes a difference as to how easy it locks in) and we never had a mag related issue with any of them. We cycled them in numbered ammo containers. #1 goes today. Next trip its #2 etc.
    properly packed 24 mags per.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    At one point I had north of 100 loaded Pmags. Loaded 1 round short mainly for inserting the mag against a closed BCG (in some rifles it makes a difference as to how easy it locks in) and we never had a mag related issue with any of them. We cycled them in numbered ammo containers. #1 goes today. Next trip its #2 etc.
    properly packed 24 mags per.
    I like this rotation idea. I now have enough mags and shoot enough where this makes sense to try and get some degree of even use so I'm not relying on the same 5-6 mags all the time.

Of course there are always at least a half dozen set aside in packaging for long term hoarding prepping.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I like this rotation idea. I now have enough mags and shoot enough where this makes sense to try and get some degree of even use been so I'm not relying on the same 5-6 mags all the time.
    It makes good sense to do so. I do not believe that any spring left compressed for too long will maintain its resiliency. I have seen this in race engines that have sat for a long time and valve springs lose a step if they are left compressed. This is seen if checked. Its why they need to be cycled.
    Yes, cycling does step up the process but leaving compressed is also a detriment. How much is really hard to say but the springs in my 2011 race mags were junk if I left them loaded too long and that would have been a couple of months. Happened 2 times with several mags I did not dump when I left them stored. At the price of those springs that's ****ing nuts.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Here's some science:

from the second link:

Do Spring Materials Creep?

If your springs are specially designed for your application, they shouldn’t experience creep. This is because custom springs are designed to be made from the materials and have the design specifications that can handle the loads being applied to them and the conditions they are placed in.

So if you are using quality mags with quality springs there shouldn't be a problem.

No one wants creepy mags.

Top Bottom