• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    It makes good sense to do so. I do not believe that any spring left compressed for too long will maintain its resiliency. I have seen this in race engines that have sat for a long time and valve springs lose a step if they are left compressed. This is seen if checked. Its why they need to be cycled.
    Yes, cycling does step up the process but leaving compressed is also a detriment. How much is really hard to say but the springs in my 2011 race mags were junk if I left them loaded too long and that would have been a couple of months. Happened 2 times with several mags I did not dump when I left them stored. At the price of those springs that's ****ing nuts.
    The rotation method seems like good practice and I agree. But valve springs are a different animal plus they are subjected to more extreme conditions than a magazine. Valve springs go through extreme thermal cycles (+-200ᵒ) that may affect their resiliency compared to (mostly) ambient temp magazines.

Your long term experience with loaded mags is noted/acknowledged though and I will be paying attention to how my mags are stored and their performance over time.

My Browning pistol/mags have been loaded for over 20yrs now and no noticeable effects so far.

Alpha06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2021
    Central IL
    I load my magazines one under capacity. When I’m at the range, the magazines I use are rotated, so equal use.

Some magazines are kept unloaded and oiled if necessary.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    This question cannot be answered without knowing what kind of magazine and spring is being discussed. A single stack 1911 magazine will (and has) worked reliably after being stored fully loaded for 75 years or more. A double stack or high magazine is a completely different story. Some springs are made of properly tempered spring steel - and some are made of cheap Asian junk steel. Do not assume that your spring will not be weakened if you leave your mags stuffed 24/7. (Rotating magazines accomplishes nothing - you may as well attach a rabbit's foot to it.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Grandpa and I dug an old M1A 20 rnd mil-surp mag, loaded with 10 spent blanks, out of his garden and it still worked after cleaning. I think my dad or uncle lost it there while playing Army as kids.

Top Bottom