• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Nice pick up on that rifle.
    I grew up shooting one of the earlier WW2 versions one of my uncles bought after the war. It's still in the family, ugly, beat up, but shot well.
    I remember as a kid about 12 yrs old or so....I killed a ground hog at over 150 yards with it. Accurate beasts for sure.
    Dad died 8 years ago today and I inherited all his old firearms. I got a chance to go through a couple of crates of ammo last year and found some old .303 that was dangerous. I was told it was "Stick" type propellant and I had to really be careful with it and shouldn't shoot it.
    I am NO EXPERT on this stuff but I thought I'd throw it out there. Maybe someone can chime in about what to look out for.
    If you've still got that dangerous .303 I'll be happy to dispose of it for you ;).

The Allan's Armory link suggested that the .303 was British produced. If so it would almost definitely have .250 Berdan primers. These haven't been sold in the US for some decades now. Took me two years of searching to turn up an unopened 1,000 round container from the 1970s. Haven't used it yet. The standard "small" Berdan is what people reload with. It is .217 in diameter if I remember correctly and is still sold and imported today. There is some .303 with .217 primers, but it's not so common. The Portuguese I know used them.

South Africa and Greece both used large boxer primers. South African ammunition has gone the way of the dodo and often sells in excess of $1/round. Greek recently saturated the markets and can be commonly found, but prices are quickly approaching the $1/round mark as well. Mind you S. African and Greek brass are the best for .303. Prvi Partizan is a close second. Sellier and Bellot, Remington, and Winchester brass are practically garbage and can have case head separations within two loadings.

Just treat it like any other corrosive ammo.

Oh, and if you do still have those crates of .303 halfmileharry I would be interested in working a deal.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you've still got that dangerous .303 I'll be happy to dispose of it for you ;).

The Allan's Armory link suggested that the .303 was British produced. If so it would almost definitely have .250 Berdan primers. These haven't been sold in the US for some decades now. Took me two years of searching to turn up an unopened 1,000 round container from the 1970s. Haven't used it yet. The standard "small" Berdan is what people reload with. It is .217 in diameter if I remember correctly and is still sold and imported today. There is some .303 with .217 primers, but it's not so common. The Portuguese I know used them.

South Africa and Greece both used large boxer primers. South African ammunition has gone the way of the dodo and often sells in excess of $1/round. Greek recently saturated the markets and can be commonly found, but prices are quickly approaching the $1/round mark as well. Mind you S. African and Greek brass are the best for .303. Prvi Partizan is a close second. Sellier and Bellot, Remington, and Winchester brass are practically garbage and can have case head separations within two loadings.

Just treat it like any other corrosive ammo.

Oh, and if you do still have those crates of .303 halfmileharry I would be interested in working a deal.

That stuff that CTD had was the Greek HXP and it's very nice brass. I've also used some to make cases for 30-40 Krag and it worked great for that as well. I didn't know that about the Berdan primers in the British 303. Good to know!

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011

Did not know about the different Berdan Primers.. Ran across this page.... It "helps" a little

Berdan Primer Suppliers and Dimensions

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Thanks for that! I bookmarked it for future reference. :yesway: And I guess I don't need to save the brass from the German 7.62x51.. It takes the .25 large primer too.

Do not know, That assumes they will never make any in the future????? But how much empty brass can you put back for a future reload on the come..

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Thanks for that! I bookmarked it for future reference. :yesway: And I guess I don't need to save the brass from the German 7.62x51.. It takes the .25 large primer too.
    Take a set of calipers to it. I was under the belief most 7.62x51 used the .217 size nowadays. TULA PRIMER LARGE RIFLE BERDAN here are the primers in stock. Have never ordered from this place.

Turns out that the ban on Russian imports has put the kibosh on these primers making them much harder to find. DAG ammo used to stock them quite regularly.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Do not know, That assumes they will never make any in the future????? But how much empty brass can you put back for a future reload on the come..

Well, I have plenty of boxer primed 7.62 so I really don't need to save the Berdan primed stuff.

Take a set of calipers to it. I was under the belief most 7.62x51 used the .217 size nowadays. TULA PRIMER LARGE RIFLE BERDAN here are the primers in stock. Have never ordered from this place.

Turns out that the ban on Russian imports has put the kibosh on these primers making them much harder to find. DAG ammo used to stock them quite regularly.

I would have thought they used the "standard" size too. I've seen those from Tula at Lohman before. Powder Valley carries them too (or at least they had them last time I looked.). I think Powder Valley sets up at Knob Creek, so maybe I will see if I can contact them and have them bring a box or two along. I just hate the idea of doubling the price (at least) with the hazmat fee. I'd heard of DAG (not the German ammo maker) ammo too but I've never looked into their site.

And to the OP, sorry about the :hijack:. We got carried away! :):

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I do not have one, Shot one with a guy at the range.. We were shooting at 30 yards or so, Good accuracy.

It was quiet, No recoil... easy to load, easy to remove the spend brass, No modifications to your rifle. It was just a hoot.

If you get one expect to get people asking about what you are shooting

Last edited:
    Top Bottom