• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Lee (Gunny) Ermey, ripped into Obama on the following clip for ruining our country:
    YouTube - Semper Fi..R. Lee Ermey tearing into President Obama.

A few days later, he issued the following apology:

"I recently appeared at a fundraising event designed to collect toys and raise awareness for underprivileged children. While that event succeeded in raising thousands of dollars and hundreds of toys for this cause, I regret that I delivered a monologue that was inappropriately critical of the President. I was trying to be entertaining and simply went too far in this instance. I am mindful that my success as an entertainer relates in part to my experience in the Marine Corps, my devotion to its members, and the deep respect I have for members of all our Armed Forces. My comments should not be seen as reflecting on them or their views. I was just very disappointed in the amount of success that we were having raising toys and money for the underprivileged children this season. The poor economy has greatly hampered our efforts. My comments were misguided, and emotionally based, and for that I am truly sorry."

Was the apology a class act, or was Ermey groveling before Obama's throne?

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    Some one let the good ole Gunny off his leash his apology appears to be damage control on part of his masters.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When you make a living from being on TV you can expect that the people who own TV will be telling you what to do. He gets a paycheck just like the rest of us.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Well, everyone can have an opinion, and you know what they say about that. R.L. was probably just calling it like he sees it. Once a Marine, always a Marine! Kudos to him. I wouldn't apologize for anything and happen to agree with his assesment!

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    Ermey only said what most of the free-thinking population of the country already knew. He got called out on it, and rather than say "I'm an American with the right to free speech, something the Armed Forces I am supposedly so proud of fought long and hard for. That's how I feel about it, and I don't give a rip if you don't like it or agree with me. Get over it, Jackwagon", he chose to stick his tail between his legs like a scolded dog in order to protect his paycheck, which apparently in more valuable to him than his right to free speech. Not only is he a coward, he may as well be a democrat liberal.

ETA: I have more respect for the democrat liberal entertainers and celebrities that made Bush-bashing a new sport. At least they had the balls to stick to their guns.

Last edited:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    None of us know all the facts behind his recent statement. Sometimes there are a lot of shades of gray a person has to deal with.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I don't think he is a coward. Maybe he went off on a tangent at an inappropriate time and realized afterwards that he made himself look goofy. Its ok to dis Obama but you preach it every where you go and its all you talk about it could be viewed in bad taste.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    NOTHING TO APOLOGIZE FOR! But I suppose it was recomended thet he do that, from farther up the chain of comand, so like a good Marine he followed his orders. :patriot:

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    I don't think he is a coward. Maybe he went off on a tangent at an inappropriate time and realized afterwards that he made himself look goofy. Its ok to dis Obama but you preach it every where you go and its all you talk about it could be viewed in bad taste.

:yesway:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    The gunny called it like he sees it. I guarantee he was forced to apologize by the people who sign his paycheck, who probably all voted for Obama.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    This. Freedom of speech also means you have the freedom to apologize, I dont see a conspiracy here...I have more respect for him since it seems like he doesn't want to just be viewed as one of those people. I bet this won't be passed around as much as the video though, and thats too bad since I'm sure more people were critical of him than supporting him.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The Marines don't want Toys for Tots to be political. Someone probably told him that his political statements might hurt the program.

No matter how right you are, there's a time and a place for everything. Apologizing for an impropriety is not cowardice, in fact, it's the opposite: moral courage.

Top Bottom