• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The Marines don't want Toys for Tots to be political. Someone probably told him that his political statements might hurt the program.

No matter how right you are, there's a time and a place for everything. Apologizing for an impropriety is not cowardice, in fact, it's the opposite: moral courage.

:yesway: this!

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    Additionally he is seen as the face of the Marines and the Marines Commander in Chief is the president.

Soldiers are not to speak against their Commander in Chief or show a political stance when representing their branch.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    As others have posted, there is a time and a venue for politics. Toys for Tots isn't one of them. The Gunny's apology took some courage.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    NOTHING TO APOLOGIZE FOR! But I suppose it was recomended thet he do that, from farther up the chain of comand, so like a good Marine he followed his orders. :patriot:

I hope he did it out of his own accord and not because he was following orders like a good marine.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    It was NOT a Toys for Tots event. It was a USO event where he mentioned Toys for Tots.

Soldiers are not to speak against their Commander in Chief or show a political stance when representing their branch.

While this is true, GySgt. Ermy is RETIRED, NOT active duty, and may freely speak his mind.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    It was NOT a Toys for Tots event. It was a USO event where he mentioned Toys for Tots.

Quote:

While this is true, GySgt. Ermy is RETIRED, NOT active duty, and may freely speak his mind.

:+1: Very true!

I am troubled by this part of Ermey's apology, "I was trying to be entertaining...." This implies that his rant against Obama was just an act and not his true beliefs.

If his stated feelings about Obama are true, then there is a lack of backbone in his apology, especially when he says he was just trying to be entertaining.

If his comments about Obama were, indeed, solely for entertainment, then his integrity comes into serious question.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    I hope he did it out of his own accord and not because he was following orders like a good marine.
    :yesway:

I don't think that takes away from the point at all...

If his stated feelings about Obama are true, then there is a lack of backbone in his apology, especially when he says he was just trying to be entertaining.
    His rant started off as cheap jabs and jokes, and turned in to a full on rant. You can use your opinions for entertainment. Glen Beck and John Stewart do it all the time.

Top Bottom